Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piped icing

Options
  • 12-11-2011 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Looking for a really good icing recipe that can be piped for a child's birthday cake. Have used butter cream before but it is a bit gross- all that butter! Was hoping for something a bit lighter without having to resort to raw egg white...any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The only option in between the butter/icing sugar icing and a very light one with egg white (like a mascarpone/tiramisu one which wouldn't pipe great anyway) would be an Italian Meringue Buttercream type, easy enough to make once you get the hang of it. For piping not many of them are suitable, the butter/icing sugar one is the most stable and holds it's shape best, which is why it is used more even though it tastes poor (rank would be more my description of it, ugh).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There is a ton of butter in buttercream you could maybe make one with fresh whipped double cream with icing sugar added..no idea if that would work though.

Perhaps flavouring the buttercream might help, kids generally don't mind all the butter. I make a nutella butter cream and it is buttery but not as buttery as a plain one although it does come out brown.

Italian meringue perhaps..the egg is pretty much cooked in the recipe.

Mascarpone icing is so yum it does involve raw egg yolks and egg whites adding icing sugar to it will help thicken it.

Something like a lemon or orange buttercream might help cut the buttery taste a bit if you do go with buttercream.

Dunnes sell cartons of pasturised egg whites which is safer to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Think I will try a mascarpone icing with whipped cream instead of egg

The italian meringue icing seems way too dodgy- don't want to be messing around with something that could go wrong when I've got a load of other food to prepare

For my daughter's birthday I used a cream cheese icing but it was way too stiff and really hard to work with.

The nutella sounds yum but it needs to be coloured so not sure if flavoring will work

I'm sure you're right tho, as long as its sweet and looks nice the kids won't care about the vile buttery-ness of it

Advertisement