Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat kenny highest paid RTe presenter

• 12-11-2011 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1111/rtepresenters.html

Pat Kenny was the highest paid RTÉ presenter in 2009, with earnings of €729,604, according to new figures released by the broadcaster.
    The late Gerry Ryan was second-highest earner, with earnings of €585,944, and Late Late Show presenter Ryan Tubridy was third-highest on €519,667.
    The total of earnings of the top ten presenters in 2009 was €3.95m, a reduction of 11.2% on the 2008 total of €4.45m.
    Of the ten presenters listed in the 2009 table, eight are contractors providing services to RTÉ and two are staff employees.
    The staff presenters are Derek Mooney, who was seventh-highest-paid on €268,985, and Sean O'Rourke, ninth-highest on €214,084.
    Figures for staff include employer pension contributions and are not salary only, RTÉ said. Figures for contractors represent fees payable, not salaries; pension provision is a matter for the individual contractor.
    The others on the list are: Marian Finucane, fourth highest with earnings of €513,270; Liveline presenter Joe Duffy, fifth highest on €389,314; Miriam O'Callaghan, sixth highest on €290,625; Eamon Dunphy; eighth highest with earnings of €225,485; and Colm Caffrey (Hayes), tenth highest with earnings of €213,954.
    In a statement, RTÉ said the release of the information maintained the process of voluntary disclosure of these earnings, and that, "as normal and for reasons of commercial confidentiality, the figures are released two years in arrears."
    The total of the earnings listed represents just over 1% of RTÉ's operating costs (€389.4m) in 2009 and approximately 2% of personnel-related operating costs.
    During the same year of 2009 the total cost of RTÉ staff wages and salaries reduced from €150.17m to €137.24m, a reduction of 8.6%.
    The company said it had reduced its overall operating costs by €71m or approximately 15% over the period 2008-2009.

There is some serious money being paid to its presenters and while I agree that people should be paid for there work accordingly,Some of these payments are paid a bit over the top,Marian finucane afaik works 2 hours on sat & sun add a little more time for doing research and so on and she is on 513.270. a year :eek: add to all this that the station is subsidence by us the taxpayer.

Its a bit much what do you all think and what are the alternatives ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This just in:

The Spice Girls have split!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's as if RTE competes with itself to pay the wages of these people.

That's what happens when your revenue stream is guaranteed by the threat of prison for people who won't pay. (TV licence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

They deserve all that money for the jobs they do.

They really are the cream of the Irish Media.

I love listening to/watching them, especially that Duffy fella, He's top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

............and you'll be thrown in jail if you don't pay their wages !! It wouldn't be too bad if I could actually get decent reception, or is that a bonus :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The fundamental problem is that RTE is both a public service broadcaster and a commercial undertaking. We should have a public service broadcaster whose personnel are paid sums comparable to those that ordinary skilled employees receive, with commercial stations free to hire "star" presenters and pay them what they want, provided they can bring in the revenue. That way, the TV licence would be much lower than it now is. A further benefit would be that a lot more people would have a crack at presenting shows, which would allow plenty of new talent to have a chance of emerging and being discovered, rather than stale old fogies and crones like Kenny, Duffy, Finucane et al hogging it all for decades on end.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Worst thing is, most of them are awful. Miriam O Callaghan's handling of rte's presidential 'debate' was woeful. She must have said 'actual' and 'actually' forty times in the first two minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Worth every penny of my 160 euro.
    de bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How do the likes of kenny, finucane, duffy, o'rourke and o'callaghan have the cheek to challenge the pay and conditions of politicians, union bosses, civil servants and now bank bosses when they are on such immoral and undeserved salaries themselves??! They're the biggest fookin culprits! Some stones on those cünts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

It's about time RTE was made commercial, we'd soon see these so called "TALENTS" being easily replaced by more talented presenters who can do a far better job for a normal wage.

I can't see how these presenters bring in enough in advertising revenue to justify that sort of salary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Hands up who wouldn't take it if they were offered it.

Get up the yard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Joe10000 wrote: »

Get up the yard.

And that justifies them being paid rediculous wages does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ryan Tubridy is a world class broadcasting talent and we're lucky to only have to pay €519,000 odd a year to get to see/hear him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy is a world class broadcasting talent and we're lucky to only have to pay €519,000 odd a year to get to see/hear him.
    Howrya Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Joe10000 wrote: »

Get up the yard.

Yep. Old news really. But still a scandal. So what if they dropped the wages to sub-100k? RTE have a dual income. It's about time they were told it's one or the other. And made stand on their own two feet. They have the Ad market in this country skewed for far too long with this ludicrous scenario.

But, as long as RTE is run by, and infested with, agenda groups then nothing will change. And successive Governments have not - and will not ever - touch them. And the fcukers know it.

How do the likes of kenny, finucane, duffy, o'rourke and o'callaghan have the cheek to challenge the pay and conditions of politicians, union bosses, civil servants and now bank bosses when they are on such immoral and undeserved salaries themselves??! They're the biggest fookin culprits! Some stones on those cünts.

Your post reminds me of something/someone.............. But I can't quite remember who or what............. hhmmmmmmm.........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much do TG4 pay their stars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

All the milk chocolate buttons they can eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭FortyPlusHubby

What stars?

TG4 would have almost no viewers at all if they did not show some great old movies and some recycled GAA matches & TV series.

40pH

What stars?

TG4 would have almost no viewers at all if they did not show some great old movies and some recycled GAA matches & TV series.

40pH

like what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

All very well to assault self-employed broadcasters on contract to our national PSB, RTE, but, if one listens to privately-owned profit-driven radio for any length of time, the difference in both competence and quality becomes clear.

The stars in RTE are paid at market rates because they are objectively the best. I personally regret that the market is the decider, but it is, in one sense, I suppose, a proxy measure of the tastes of our people. The market is an information exchange, with some similarities to a democratic process, if sadly lacking in the egalitarianism and equality of opportunity that is otherwise the mark of our republican society.

All very well to assault self-employed broadcasters on contract to our national PSB, RTE, but, if one listens to privately-owned profit-driven radio for any length of time, the difference in both competence and quality becomes clear.

The stars in RTE are paid at market rates because they are objectively the best. I personally regret that the market is the decider, but it is, in one sense, I suppose, a proxy measure of the tastes of our people. The market is an information exchange, with some similarities to a democratic process, if sadly lacking in the egalitarianism and equality of opportunity that is otherwise the mark of our republican society.

What a load of ballocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Willyagowayoutofitwillya.

Jackie Healy Rae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Jackie Healy Rae.

And, since I forgot to mention it, someone has to be the 'highest paid broadcaster'.

(Nobody ever seems to attack his international counterparts in film, such as Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, for being the highest grossing star of course!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pat is very good on The Frontline. Probably no need to pay him as much as that.
    Joe Duffy on the other hand has little discernible talent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

And, since I forgot to mention it, someone has to be the 'highest paid broadcaster'.

(Nobody ever seems to attack his international counterparts in film, such as Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, for being the highest grossing star of course!)

Jackie Healy Rae.

Well you see, Johnny Depp is highly paid because I choose to go to the cinema and pay €10 or whatever it is for the price of a cinema ticket to see his new movie. A lot of others do too. Of course, I have a choice not to. And if I and everyone else chose not to, studios would not pay Johnny Depp so much.

But here, I choose not to listen to Pat Kenny, Tubirty and the rest because I don't find them entertaining.I don't watch their TV shows or listen to RTE radio.

However, I am forced to pay more than €100 anyway, under threat of prison if I don't.

For someone spouting about markets, you really have no idea how the market works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well you see, Johnny Depp is highly paid because I choose to go to the cinema and pay €10 or whatever it is for the price of a cinema ticket to see his new movie. A lot of others do too. Of course, I have a choice not to. And if I and everyone else chose not to, studios would not pay Johnny Depp so much.

But here, I choose not to listen to Pat Kenny, Tubirty and the rest because I don't find them entertaining.I don't watch their TV shows or listen to RTE radio.

However, I am forced to pay more than €100 anyway, under threat of prison if I don't.

For someone spouting about markets, you really have no idea how the market works.

You'd miss them if they were gone. :D

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You'd miss them if they were gone. :D

I'd just have to improve my aim :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What stars?

40pH
    TG4 has made some excellent documentaries on a very limited budget.
    Maybe if you tuned in a bit more regularly you would discover this hidden gem. It really is a lot better than people give it credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Heard Pat Kenny justifying his salary by saying that he has taken a hit and is now working twice as hard for less money!

Does he not see that he is agreeing that he was overpaid?
    If he was working half as hard and getting paid more then he was getting too much! You should be working harder to get paid more not the other way around!

He probably still is getting paid too much but at least we are getting twice as much out of him so he is closing the gap rather than it widening!

dougal wrote: »
    Heard Pat Kenny justifying his salary by saying that he has taken a hit and is now working twice as hard for less money!

Does he not see that he is agreeing that he was overpaid?
    If he was working half as hard and getting paid more then he was getting too much! You should be working harder to get paid more not the other way around!

He probably still is getting paid too much but at least we are getting twice as much out of him so he is closing the gap rather than it widening!

um true true :D

Advertisement