Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and the Licence FEE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I have provided you your evidence, told to me by the persons involved. I have omitted their names as they are/were in the employ of rte.

This is not evidence; it hardly qualifies as hearsay. It is subjective rehearsal of anecdote, with no statistical, objective or logical content sufficient to sustain an argument.
    ... in the early 90's ... I had an interest in working for rte, and quickly found out the only way in was to know someone. Which I did, and got two days work experience there. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't have gotten a sniff of the place had I not known anyone.

The quoted is, I am reluctant to say, a highly tendentious post.

This is, to my certain knowledge, inaccurate. RTE is and always has been a meritocracy in terms of recruitment & promotion, as well, indeed, as in terms of programme production and scheduling.

The quote is reminiscent of what one heard in the past in the more far-flung parts of the country, where a boy or girl who was considered good in local amateur drama failed to get a post as a continuity announcer in the 1960's, and an entire parish decided on that basis that Teilifís Éireann was being filled with the acquaintances of Hilton Edwards. A comforting myth for the disappointed, perhaps, but not the real world. The aim was and is to get and keep the best and do away with the rest!

Comedy: think Scrap Saturday, Hall's Pictorial, Green Tea, Mrs O'Brien: meeting the needs of different audiences at different times in different eras, i.e. sharply focussed agile broadcasting, turning on a sixpence to follow its audience in the vagaries of its taste.

All dead and gone. And o'brien was terrible.

Currently aired examples please.

I'm not in comedy, myself, so I cannot assist on this one, I'm afraid. But, I would commend the Guide to you; the best organ of its kind, filled to the brim with data on the output, and more.

(I believe Mrs O'Brien was on everyone's lips in its time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Wertz wrote: »
    Your aspersions toward BBC NI are quite laughable too...their news output is adequate for the size of their populace which is a third of the Republic and the level of reporting is handled very well by an awful lot smaller of a team of staff than that available to RTÉ news.

Honourable mention to the excellent Noel Thompson & Hearts and Minds for providing hard-hitting. oft-compelling viewing over a long period - Not an easy task given the spiky and taciturn players involved in the NI peace process.

Honourable mention to the excellent Noel Thompson & Hearts and Minds for providing hard-hitting. oft-compelling viewing over a long period - Not an easy task given the spiky and taciturn players involved in the NI peace process.

Well, yes, it was good enough stuff of its kind, clearly made on a shoestring, but it was in effect a radio studio with a camera pointed at it. Think of the visual complexity and richness that a properly-funded operation like RTE News & Current Affairs is capable of brining to the viewer, because of the proper apportionment of the license fee. TV is a visual medium, inviting in the half-interested and converting them; H&M was a programme for political 'junkies', rather like BBC2's Newsnight, rather than PSB for the mass of the population.

texidub wrote: »
    :pac: You are serious, aren't you? A galaxy of talent? More like a black hole of mediocrity.

As for 'patriotic listeners'?! People don't run down RTE television because it's Irish. They run it down because it is crap and because they are forced to pay for it to amuse people with low standards like yourself.

Yo! Sincerely,

TexiGodwotteryLoveyDarlingDub

This comment reminds me of what those schoolboys in Private Eye used to say about Sir James Goldsmith, the entrepreneur: "we don't hate Goldsmith because he's Jewish, we hate him because he's German". I feel some people detest RTE because it is our own, and an inferiority complex makes them imagine that there is something better available at the same or lower cost elsewhere. We have the problem of being up against the best broadcasting services in the world in the adjoining island. Give hot-air French television, or studiously boring German television or, heaven help us, privately-controlled 'PSB' Italian television a quick military squint and then come back here and say that RTE isn't on top of the heap.

And another thing: I think that since straight-talking self-employed middle-of-the-road people like Gay and Pat agree with me, my tastes are hardly unusual. Neither are they low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It is a tax, an extremely modest tax, paid by people of sufficient income and below a certain age. A progressive tax, yielding public good rewards of far greater multipliers in terms of quality, utility and happiness than many another tax.

It's not progressive, it's regressive because people pay the same fee no matter what their income (unless they are very poor, in which case the Dept of Social Protection pays for Tubridy's caviar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am not sure what to vote for. I would like no licence fee at all, if I am legally obliged to pay the fee then I certainly want adverts otherwise the fee would have to be higher.
    Behind the mics and behind the cameras, RTE is also awash with talent that is the envy of broadcasters the world over.
    If they are so envious you would think these broadcasters would poach more of them. I doubt many of them would be paid the same if RTE did not exist.

I have used the analogy before of having a cooker licence, I expect 99% of homes have a cooker too. The government could issue households with recipes and/or food for the bargain €160 per year. If you do not like the recipes/food then STFU, just bin it, let it go to waste, like unwatched TV, someone out there might enjoy the food, nobody is forcing you to eat it, just forcing you to pay for it. We could get some unknown chef and in 10 years time he might be on a million euro, but sure he's worth it.

People are watching these programs, maybe they do not have much choice of channels. If there were allowed spend that €160 on other subscription channels or had the money to buy dvds they might not be watching fair city.

But it is presumed they do like it. I expect if they forced people to have the cooker licence people might eat food they do not particularly like just to not let it go to waste, and since they already paid for it and cannot afford an alternative. This must be kept in mind when analysing viewing figures.

Since it has been around for most peoples lives they just accept it, there are no TV licences in many countries.

I still pay my licence as not doing so is no different from stealing from my friends & family, non fee payers are theiving worthless scumbags. Its odd that some of these robbing cunts even have the nerve to brag about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Licence money being wasted on shills.
    Tesco-valuepack Stephen Fry shills at that.
    RTE should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I have provided you your evidence, told to me by the persons involved. I have omitted their names as they are/were in the employ of rte.

This is not evidence; it hardly qualifies as hearsay. It is subjective rehearsal of anecdote, with no statistical, objective or logical content sufficient to sustain an argument.
    ... in the early 90's ... I had an interest in working for rte, and quickly found out the only way in was to know someone. Which I did, and got two days work experience there. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't have gotten a sniff of the place had I not known anyone.

The quoted is, I am reluctant to say, a highly tendentious post.

This is, to my certain knowledge, inaccurate. RTE is and always has been a meritocracy in terms of recruitment & promotion, as well, indeed, as in terms of programme production and scheduling.

The quote is reminiscent of what one heard in the past in the more far-flung parts of the country, where a boy or girl who was considered good in local amateur drama failed to get a post as a continuity announcer in the 1960's, and an entire parish decided on that basis that Teilifís Éireann was being filled with the acquaintances of Hilton Edwards. A comforting myth for the disappointed, perhaps, but not the real world. The aim was and is to get and keep the best and do away with the rest!

So basically, because what I'm saying isn't what you want to hear, you're calling me a liar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

goose2005 wrote: »
    It's not progressive, it's regressive because people pay the same fee no matter what their income (unless they are very poor, in which case the Dept of Social Protection pays for Tubridy's caviar).

Being very poor isn't taken as an excuse for not having a TV license. As far as I know , only pensioners and those on disability get it waivered. The former do not tend to be poor. The latter could be richer than the long term unemployed depending on who you talk to.

It is a tax, an extremely modest tax, paid by people of sufficient income and below a certain age. A progressive tax, yielding public good rewards of far greater multipliers in terms of quality, utility and happiness than many another tax.

Delusional shill. Shove your unfair tax where the sun don't shine. Whats this blatant lie about ''sufficient income'' doing on the thread ?
    You have to pay the TV license even if you have a TV but zero income. Even bankrupts have to pay it.
    I watch Satellite TV from companies I pay for directly and watch zero RTE which doesnt bother to put itself on satellite due to jealously guarding its Eastenders viewer patch, and why would I watch RTE anyway when they were running soviet politburo style ''patriotic'' documentaries about Irish peasants toiling in the potato fields while the IMF were entering the country ignored so take your cultural fascist tax and shove it up your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

If young and angry people feel like this, it is their prerogative. However, those of us of a more mature generation, with a lifetime of paying tax and of working to ensure that we have cultural public services of the very highest quality, have a legitimately different perspective. And when the young and furious are more mature, they too will welcome Ryan and Pat and Marian and Miriam and the host of others. I always find it amusing that those whose cultural life once extended no farther than the conveniences in ‘Break for the Border’ become in their middle years avid viewers of output like Reeling in the Years. And that is just the first step.

We must not be dictated to by loud, choleric outbursts by juvenile opinion, but we should respect the taste, discrimination and appreciation of the more mature and reflective audience. (And the figures for last night’s particularly fine edition of the Late Show will bear my argument out.)

To paraphrase Muriel Spark, “for those who like that kind of thing, that is the kind of thing they like’.

Hugo, I'm fully convinced you're a WUM. I'm 52 by the way.:rolleyes:

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    And BBC NI takes absolutely nothing from England, Scotland or Wales? The licence fee in Northern Ireland doesn't go exclusively to the BBC in NI.

Did you know that the Irish licence doesn't go exclusively to RTÉ?

Enlighten me then. Did YOU know that BBC Wales, which operates a similar amount of services to RTE, had, at it's peak, 800 employed. I think RTE at one stage had some 3,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jeez Hugo you're gas! And clearly employed by RTE - your appraisal of John Bowman's book like!
    To think this is a troll thread and that it's really "dissenting" to criticise RTE - how deluded is that?!
    The high earnings are a joke - as are most of the earners. Derek Mooney and Marian Finucane - **** me! :eek:
    Some of RTE's output is good - but lots is made by independent production companies, not RTE itself.
    I don't think it could survive without the dual revenue sources, but those salaries/fees need to be cut substantially. They are simply not justified.

Dudess wrote: »
    Jeez Hugo you're gas! And clearly employed by RTE - your appraisal of John Bowman's book like!
    To think this is a troll thread and that it's really "dissenting" to criticise RTE - how deluded is that?!
    The high earnings are a joke - as are most of the earners. Derek Mooney and Marian Finucane - **** me! :eek:
    Some of RTE's output is good - but lots is made by independent production companies, not RTE itself.
    I don't think it could survive without the dual revenue sources, but those salaries/fees need to be cut substantially. They are simply not justified.

Indeed. Also, RTEs main expenditure is the importing of American TV Series like grey's anatomy, in order to 'compete' with Sky. In 2008, RTE2 spend a total of €88,673,000 in 2008, with a spend of €53,820,000 on SPORT :eek: and €14,935,000 on YOUNG PEOPLE'S programming. WTF???

There is something seriously amiss at that station. They would have to learn to survive D. They are not operating under real world constraints as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I think it should not be allowed to advertise at all on the TV or radio channels and should make do with licence fees. I might actually watch it then and RTE could just pay what they could afford. And before people start saying that we are a smaller population and don't have the resources of the BBC well then look up what they get in RTE. 183 million!!

I will take my chances on the world media swooping in and stealing our talent. Kenny and George Lee will be on prime time US tv before we know it. Marian Finucane will be presenting the Oscars and your new leading man in the movies will be Jooooooooooooooooe Duffy. Give me a break

• Advertisement

eco2live wrote: »
    I think it should not be allowed to advertise at all on the TV or radio channels and should make do with licence fees. I might actually watch it then and RTE could just pay what they could afford. And before people start saying that we are a smaller population and don't have the resources of the BBC well then look up what they get in RTE. 183 million!!

I will take my chances on the world media swooping in and stealing our talent. Kenny and George Lee will be on prime time US tv before we know it. Marian Finucane will be presenting the Oscars and your new leading man in the movies will be Jooooooooooooooooe Duffy. Give me a break

Agreed. People thought that Richard Keyes and Andy Grey were bigger than Sky Sports. Life went on. RTE wouldn't be any different.

So basically, because what I'm saying isn't what you want to hear, you're calling me a liar.

You may be assured that I neither called nor implied that you were a liar, nor would I make such an accusation against anyone without full evidence and, indeed, never on a public forum for pragmatic reasons of forestalling the instigation of actions for defamation.

My point is that it is not possible to ground an argument on a personal assessment of fragmentary facts, particularly when these are 'anonymized' and where they derive from undisclosed third-party sources. If an undergraduate were to present me with a mere weekly essay based on such indirect and secondhand foundations, I would send her or him back to the library to gather some reliable data, before awarding a 40% mark.

I am also aware - as, indeed, a simple consideration of the fact that RTE is a public sector organisation, held to the very highest ethical standards, would suggest to anyone else - that recruitment and promotion in RTE is conducted with the utmost probity, involving external assessment of candidates, and based on objective, quantifiable criteria where these are appropriate.

With RTE, the best get in and the very best of the best rise to the top. The fact that private sector and illegal sector broadcasters spend their waking hours trying to get onto the air on national radio and TV is evidence enough that it is a meritocracy at the pinnacle of the Irish broadcasting pyramid. The fact that many of them fail in this ambition is evidence that stringent quality and ethical standards are applied.

Adds on commercial channels are ruining TV. I cant stick it. Some of the stations on sky are nothing but adds and you cannot switch over because they are all on at the same time. That's why I think they should keep the licence fee.

Now if they are going to continue to take advertising then the licence fee should be scraped and let them take their chances like everyone else and they can pay what they want to their ahem stars.

Most of the adds are for state company's like the VHI, Board Gais and the ESB. More money from the Joe and Joanne Soap to pay for that beyond the licence fee,

:mad::mad::mad:

goose2005 wrote: »

It is progressive.

Because it is a tiny amount, annualised, its progressive characteristic is confined to a two-step progression, with an income bar below which it is not levied. It is not paid by large swathes of the population (in addition to those non-civically-minded illegal non-payers) on grounds of insufficient income. It is also discounted for people over a certain age.

When dealing with a matter of just 165 euro per household (and not per individual, let it be noted), this is progressive taxation levied at an almost imperceptible rate. Think of all that flows from such incidental transfer.

For those who require it, payment options that remove all concern have been devised by An Post.

Do pay your tax! For the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

15% voted NO on the poll, about the same as Fianna Fail's support ;)

• Advertisement

Adds on commercial channels are ruining TV. I cant stick it. Some of the stations on sky are nothing but adds and you cannot switch over because they are all on at the same time. That's why I think they should keep the licence fee.

Now if they are going to continue to take advertising then the licence fee should be scraped and let them take their chances like everyone else and they can pay what they want to their ahem stars.

Most of the adds are for state company's like the VHI, Board Gais and the ESB. More money from the Joe and Joanne Soap to pay for that beyond the licence fee,

:mad::mad::mad:

Got it in one my friend. The cosy merry-go-round goes on and on and on. And I fully agree with you about the ads. Imagine telling people years ago you would be paying to watch TV - and there would be ads!!! Oh wait.....isn't that RTE...........:rolleyes:

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Enlighten me then. Did YOU know that BBC Wales, which operates a similar amount of services to RTE, had, at it's peak, 800 employed. I think RTE at one stage had some 3,000.

You cannot compare a regional service with a national one.

BBC Wales draws on network resources for programme making, and used full direct network feed for its programming. It is not required to make the full range of programmes required here. Nor does it maintain the musical establishment that is in Montrose and in the Hall (and in the provinces, with the Vanbrugh, for example).

There are also fixed costs and administrative and support levels of staff that are an essential foundation, which in the BBC are borne by London, but which have to be provided here. Wales is a free rider in some senses on its larger network.

A stark comparison of staffing levels is misleading in the extreme.

A country with a much larger surface area, with input points to the network requires a considerably larger number of staff. Similarly, as a sovereign state, Ireland requires external input units, befitting the role of the broadcaster as the voice of Ireland talking to itself. BBC Wales has no obligation to maintain bureaux in Brussels and Washington, for example.

It all adds up, but quality is the deciding factor.

You cannot compare a regional service with a national one.

BBC Wales draws on network resources for programme making, and used full direct network feed for its programming. It is not required to make the full range of programmes required here. Nor does it maintain the musical establishment that is in Montrose and in the Hall (and in the provinces, with the Vanbrugh, for example).

There are also fixed costs and administrative and support levels of staff that are an essential foundation, which in the BBC are borne by London, but which have to be provided here. Wales is a free rider in some senses on its larger network.

A stark comparison of staffing levels is misleading in the extreme.

A country with a much larger surface area, with input points to the network requires a considerably larger number of staff. Similarly, as a sovereign state, Ireland requires external input units, befitting the role of the broadcaster as the voice of Ireland talking to itself. BBC Wales has no obligation to maintain bureaux in Brussels and Washington, for example.

It all adds up, but quality is the deciding factor.

When it should be economics. But, like many others, RTE is continuing in its ongoing delusions of itself. Supported by people like you.:rolleyes: And why should we maintain bureaux in Washington etc? Can someone not just do a voiceover from here? It's ludicrous.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am not sure what to vote for. I would like no licence fee at all, if I am legally obliged to pay the fee then I certainly want adverts otherwise the fee would have to be higher.

If they are so envious you would think these broadcasters would poach more of them. I doubt many of them would be paid the same if RTE did not exist.

I have used the analogy before of having a cooker licence, I expect 99% of homes have a cooker too. The government could issue households with recipes and/or food for the bargain €160 per year. If you do not like the recipes/food then STFU, just bin it, let it go to waste, like unwatched TV, someone out there might enjoy the food, nobody is forcing you to eat it, just forcing you to pay for it. We could get some unknown chef and in 10 years time he might be on a million euro, but sure he's worth it.

People are watching these programs, maybe they do not have much choice of channels. If there were allowed spend that €160 on other subscription channels or had the money to buy dvds they might not be watching fair city.

But it is presumed they do like it. I expect if they forced people to have the cooker licence people might eat food they do not particularly like just to not let it go to waste, and since they already paid for it and cannot afford an alternative. This must be kept in mind when analysing viewing figures.

Since it has been around for most peoples lives they just accept it, there are no TV licences in many countries.

I still pay my licence as not doing so is no different from stealing from my friends & family, non fee payers are theiving worthless scumbags. Its odd that some of these robbing cunts even have the nerve to brag about it.

What has happened is that the Oireachtas, in its wisdom, has decided that ti is a desirable public good to allow Ireland's distinctive culture to be supported and reflected back to the population by a public service model of broadcaster. Rather than depend on the lowest common denominator, which is what the market would provide, RTE endeavours to provide the highest possible quality broadcasting, broadcasting of an ennobling character, for the people, thereby elevating our taste and increasing our level of cultural attainment.

If the Oireachtas wanted a monolingual, popcorn swallowing, mud-wrestling-watching, beer-swilling channel of vapid mediocrity, I am sure that it would have, in its wisdom, created the necessary legislative framework.

As it is now, we work with what we have; the best radio and television that money can buy at the price we are prepared to pay.

In fairness look at the performance from our top earner. The cream that has risen.

Is that you Kenny?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I believe the late late show host should be voted in by the paying audience, perhaps every 2 years. as it stands people will watch it anyway because its the late late, even tho the host might not be so great.

mikom wrote: »
    Licence money being wasted on shills.
    Tesco-valuepack Stephen Fry shills at that.
    RTE should be ashamed of themselves.

I cannot deal with this post, as it is undeserving of comment, unfortunately, in terms of tone and content (or lack thereof).

psychward wrote: »
    Being very poor isn't taken as an excuse for not having a TV license. As far as I know , only pensioners and those on disability get it waivered. The former do not tend to be poor. The latter could be richer than the long term unemployed depending on who you talk to.

Delusional shill. Shove your unfair tax where the sun don't shine. Whats this blatant lie about ''sufficient income'' doing on the thread ?
    You have to pay the TV license even if you have a TV but zero income. Even bankrupts have to pay it.
    I watch Satellite TV from companies I pay for directly and watch zero RTE which doesnt bother to put itself on satellite due to jealously guarding its Eastenders viewer patch, and why would I watch RTE anyway when they were running soviet politburo style ''patriotic'' documentaries about Irish peasants toiling in the potato fields while the IMF were entering the country ignored so take your cultural fascist tax and shove it up your hole.

Measures have been taken to alleviate any financial discomfort experienced by people who find a couple of euros per week an excessive exaction. (THe equivalent of a shilling a week in the 1960's, I might point out.)

I dispute the use of the term 'shill'. It is not dishonourable to mount a defense in the face of a torrent of ill-informed and misguided criticism.

The Oireachtas has charged RTE with the public service duties of reflecting the nation back to itself, across space and time. Because some citizens have less elevated tastes does not obviate the obligation on RTE to strive through clever scheduling to dislodge them from their comfortable slough, and to give them the potential to aspire to something higher.

Rather than depend on the lowest common denominator, which is what the market would provide, RTE endeavours to provide the highest possible quality broadcasting, broadcasting of an ennobling character, for the people, thereby elevating our taste and increasing our level of cultural attainment.

Complete and utter rubbish. Why then are millions being spent on imports such as Grey's Anatomy, Eastenders, Neighbours, Home and Away, The Big Bang Theory, etc???

Hugo, I'm fully convinced you're a WUM. I'm 52 by the way.:rolleyes:

I had cause some time ago to inform myself of what the acronym WUM meant. I assure readers that I am not such. However, it is indicative of the general tenor of debate that anything that diverges from the rather extreme anti-RTE line here is denounced as shilling, as WUM or as trolling.

Sad, to say the least, and hardly the sign of an alert and open mind.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »

I find it hard to get a purchase on this post, but suffice it to say that if it agrees with my line, I am content with it and if it disagrees, I am sure I could answer it easily if I grasped the point.

15% voted NO on the poll, about the same as Fianna Fail's support ;)

Yes, but the electoral register is open to all. This thread seems to be populated by a vocal minority opposed to RTE and all its works!

When it should be economics. But, like many others, RTE is continuing in its ongoing delusions of itself. Supported by people like you.:rolleyes: And why should we maintain bureaux in Washington etc? Can someone not just do a voiceover from here? It's ludicrous.

I do not think it should ever be economics in the cultural domain, in fact.

And, for Washington, think Carol, think Mark, think Charlie; this is what you cannot get from agency reports, the distinctive Irish interpretation, the careful selection of the issues that will resonate with our viewers.

RTE is not deluded in any sense, and, indeed, with consultant and facilitator support, conducts extensive and ongoing self-examinations. Nobody is more self-critical as an organisation than RTE, let me assure you.

I cannot deal with this post, as it is undeserving of comment, unfortunately, in terms of tone and content (or lack thereof).

RTE reign you in did they?

Complete and utter rubbish. Why then are millions being spent on imports such as Grey's Anatomy, Eastenders, Neighbours, Home and Away, The Big Bang Theory, etc???

Exactly and why? for add revenue. We can already watch all that ****e if we want to on the other channels for free. Stick to the home grown productions and they might get good at it at some stage.

More Charley Bird in the antarctic please or celeb sink the boat or that upwardly mobile the sitcom. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The thought of only having rubbish stations like TV3 in Ireland sends a shiver down my spine, I'll happily pay a license fee to prevent that happening.

RTE might not be the BBC (you pay the same level of license fee in the UK btw it is just a much bigger population results in much more money for the BBC), but by god things could be a lot lot worse if all TV stations in the country were private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The licence should still exist but should not be mandatory and the rte channels should be an opt-in feature of your existing tv package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

the careful selection of the issues that will resonate with our viewers.

"our viewers"? So you do work in RTE?

RTE reign you in did they?

"Rein", as it happens.

• Advertisement

Exactly and why? for add revenue. We can already watch all that ****e if we want to on the other channels for free. Stick to the home grown productions and they might get good at it at some stage.

More Charley Bird in the antarctic please or celeb sink the boat or that upwardly mobile the sitcom. :rolleyes:

Exactly! Some sense is appearing. And these shows both from Light Entertainment and from Features are very good revenue gatherers from ad sales.

"Rein", as it happens.

Whoosh.
    Upon royal authority....... teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When dealing with a matter of just 165 euro per household (and not per individual, let it be noted)
    This is another stupid setup too, I know of a guy living with 5 other people, all 6 working on decent wages, yet they pay 1/6th the tax as a single person.

99% of households are legally obliged to pay the licence (the figure is actually 99%), and in 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12% so I don't know why "in their wisdom" they do not just include it in normal taxation. Why have all the cost of admin collecting these fees and chasing down and prosecuting people, and further taking up airtime with ads saying they are going to catch you.
    the best radio and television that money can buy at the price we are prepared forced to pay.
    I bet they are scared senseless at the thought of it being a voluntary subscription.

The licence should still exist but should not be mandatory and the rte channels should be an opt-in feature of your existing tv package.

Nobody pays a voluntary tax, without incentives: see the National Lottery Tax on the poor for the leading case.

The TV tax is set so low as to be imperceptible by people, particularly if they adopt one of the payment schemes elaborated with great creativity in recent times.

More money coming in will mean better quality of output, new channels, new platforms, the possibility of recruiting new talent, more opulent coproductions with foreign PSB stations: the list is almost endless!

rubadub wrote: »
    This is another stupid setup too, I know of a guy living with 5 other people, all 6 working on decent wages, yet they pay 1/6th the tax as a single person.

99% of households are legally obliged to pay the licence (the figure is actually 99%), and in 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12% so I don't know why "in their wisdom" they do not just include it in normal taxation. Why have all the cost of admin collecting these fees and chasing down and prosecuting people, and further taking up airtime with ads saying they are going to catch you.

I bet they are scared senseless at the thought of it being a voluntary subscription.

I will check the figures on Monday, but it cannot on a commonsense basis be 99% who are liable for the TV tax, taking into account the population spread across age-groups, and the number of pensioners living in households with younger family members.

It is not practicable to levy the tax on individuals, since an unethical minority could claim not to have a set. (I have a personal preference for an increase in general taxation, indexed, but this is not policy.)

Voluntary subscription for a quality national service is a non-runner, quite frankly, and, I would suggest, a red herring intended to muddy the waters.

particularly if they adopt one of the payment schemes elaborated with great creativity in recent times.

As fresh as green shield stamps and toy store Christmas clubs.
    My, those RTE folks are creative...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I am also aware - as, indeed, a simple consideration of the fact that RTE is a public sector organisation, held to the very highest ethical standards, would suggest to anyone else - that recruitment and promotion in RTE is conducted with the utmost probity, involving external assessment of candidates, and based on objective, quantifiable criteria where these are appropriate.

With RTE, the best get in and the very best of the best rise to the top. The fact that private sector and illegal sector broadcasters spend their waking hours trying to get onto the air on national radio and TV is evidence enough that it is a meritocracy at the pinnacle of the Irish broadcasting pyramid. The fact that many of them fail in this ambition is evidence that stringent quality and ethical standards are applied.

That is laughable, seriously where are you living? public sector organisation, ethical??? What??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And you are clearly deluded about the way RTE recruits. No one gets working there unless they are related to someone else who works there. This is common knowledge so you really look ridiculous by continuing to deny it. Are you honestly trying to say that Ryan is the best presenter in Ireland, that we would give him a prime time slot??

As fresh as green shield stamps and toy store Christmas clubs.
    My, those RTE folks are creative...............

An Post, actually, but all credit to them. Direct debits, quarterly payments; monthly payments. Excellent and painless!

sambuka41 wrote: »
    That is laughable, seriously where are you living? public sector organisation, ethical??? What??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And you are clearly deluded about the way RTE recruits. No one gets working there unless they are related to someone else who works there. This is common knowledge so you really look ridiculous by continuing to deny it. Are you honestly trying to say that Ryan is the best presenter in Ireland, that we would give him a prime time slot??

I cannot argue with a position like this.

I have little regard for 'common knowledge', since, while it may be 'common', it is very rarely 'knowledge'.

Nepotism is a foreign word in Montrose, let me assure you.

I do not think it should ever be economics in the cultural domain, in fact.

And, for Washington, think Carol, think Mark, think Charlie; this is what you cannot get from agency reports, the distinctive Irish interpretation, the careful selection of the issues that will resonate with our viewers.

RTE is not deluded in any sense, and, indeed, with consultant and facilitator support, conducts extensive and ongoing self-examinations. Nobody is more self-critical as an organisation than RTE, let me assure you.

OK Hugs. You've had your fun this weekend.;) The cultural domain is dictated by the economic domain - except in RTE. Fact. The 'distinctive Irish interpretation' is no longer economically viable. Seriously, who gives a fcuk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Because some citizens have less elevated tastes does not obviate the obligation on RTE to strive through clever scheduling to to dislodge them from their comfortable slough, and to give them the potential to aspire to something higher.
    What's on now?
    RTE1: Winning Streak
    RTE2: Strong-man arm wrestling contest

I did enjoy the informative and unbiased documentary about the Ab Circle Pro though, will it be repeated again in the morning?

• Advertisement
Advertisement