Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and the Licence FEE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

psychward wrote: »
    Well no-one from RTE actually owns anything morally since they steal their means from the taxpayer whether he uses their services or not. Why not turn your back on Mafia tactics and stop making us an offer we can't refuse Hugo.

This is a distinctly odd post, if I may say so, and I am somewhat confused as to how to dispose of the points made. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

This is a distinctly odd post, if I may say so, and I am somewhat confused as to how to dispose of the points made. :confused:

Because you got owned so comprehensively with no chance of rebuttal , you thought you'd ''brass it'' above and act like a hooker who pretends she cant speak English after her services are queried and money goes missing. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hi.
    I showed you that people actually go to jail for not having a tv licence.
    As a defender of all things RTÉ, can you defend the Dickensian like punishment for not having a tv licence.

I'll take your lack of a reply as proof that you cannot defend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The irony is that if you were sent to jail for not having a licence, you could probably watch telly in your cell.

Terry wrote: »
    Hi.
    As a defender of all things RTÉ, can you defend the Dickensian like punishment for not having a tv licence.

I'll take your lack of a reply as proof that you cannot defend it.

This matter is not our issue, but, since it is frequently confused in the public mind, I shall address it authoritatively.

No, people do not go to gaol for not having a TV licence. They will have had their failure to hold a licence drawn to their attention, and opportunities to pay their way in society as equal citizens with their fellows, as legislated for by the Oireachtas, will have been laid before them. In addition, arrangements for installment payment of arrears are frequently made by the collection agency.

When people face a custodial sentence, it is for more serious reasons. Under the terms of the relevant act, the court may, in its absolute discretion, sentence a person to serve a term of imprisonment for failing to obey an order of the court to make such a payment. This happens very rarely, and generally involves cranks or people with what our American friends call 'issues', better suited, perhaps, to therapeutic solution than to legal.

Taking account of the fact that those who have been sentenced to serve a custodial sentence for non-payment may not be acting either in their own best interests or with entirely unclouded minds, informal arrangements are in place to have the fines levied by the courts paid anonymously from the Contingency Fund, to ensure that misdirected citizens do not suffer unnecessary loss of liberty, that detention places are not occupied by attention-seekers, and that publicity is minimised, largely for the good of the misfortunate individual concerned and their shamed families.

(Nor, I might add, are we talking about sentences being served in the 19th century Marshalsea Debtors' Prison, but in an open prison, where the presence of the national flag may be the only indicator that we are not looking at a Clarion Hotel!)

Please be assured that RTE is not pleased to see any citizen breaking the law, nor to see any citizen sent to gaol. Neither, I might add, is RTE the prosecuting authority.

I trust this disposes adequately of any concerns expressed on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Terry wrote: »
    Hi.
    It is nothing to do with RTE really. You are not technically being jailed for not having a tv licence, it is for the failure to pay a fine. Just like you could be jailed for not paying a fine for not cleaning up dog crap, or jaywalking.

Not paying the licence is pretty much the same as tax evasion, a criminal offence, so in my mind it should be jailing without all the warnings, and they do give loads of warnings. (i.e. I do view it as far more serious than jaywalking or not cleaning up after a dog)

The fine is ridiculously low, it should be thousands. Community work seems a better idea too 500 hours or so. It sickens me to think of all these people out there who are in effect stealing from my wallet and laughing at it like its a victimless crime or something. Where the fuck do they think the shortfall is going to come from.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/over-60-are-jailed-for-not-paying-tv-licence-fines-2073526.html
    MORE than 60 people were jailed for failing to stump up court fines after they were caught without a TV licence last year.

The cases were among more than 15,700 prosecutions launched against TV licence dodgers in 2009.

An Post said every single household was given time to purchase a €160 licence after they were caught viewing television without the valid paperwork.

Inspectors called to more than 222,000 homes and businesses last year, which resulted in 15,700 prosecutions being initiated. However, not all of these resulted in court cases.

"An Post works to ensure that people are aware of their legal obligation, and to make it as easy as possible for all customers to buy or renew a TV licence," said a spokesman for the company, which earned €12.4m for collecting the fees.

"Prosecution is not the aim, it is a last resort, at which time responsibility moves from An Post to the Courts Service."

More than €226m was collected from fees last year after more than a million licences were purchased -- with a further €55m received from the Department of Social and Family Affairs to cover the 380,000 given to those qualifying for household benefits.

More than 3,366 people were jailed in the first 10 months of last year after they refused, or were unable, to pay various fines. This included 62 who ignored fines for not having a TV licence.

The numbers jailed for failing to pay fines have risen by 150pc since 2007. A new Fines Bill, due to give the courts power to impose community service orders, such as painting, landscaping or cleaning, is expected to become law this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

This matter is not our issue, but, since it is frequently confused in the public mind, I shall address it authoritatively.

No, people do not go to gaol for not having a TV licence. They will have had their failure to hold a licence drawn to their attention, and opportunities to pay their way in society as equal citizens with their fellows, as legislated for by the Oireachtas, will have been laid before them. In addition, arrangements for installment payment of arrears are frequently made by the collection agency.

When people face a custodial sentence, it is for more serious reasons. Under the terms of the relevant act, the court may, in its absolute discretion, sentence a person to serve a term of imprisonment for failing to obey an order of the court to make such a payment. This happens very rarely, and generally involves cranks or people with what our American friends call 'issues', better suited, perhaps, to therapeutic solution than to legal.

Taking account of the fact that those who have been sentenced to serve a custodial sentence for non-payment may not be acting either in their own best interests or with entirely unclouded minds, informal arrangements are in place to have the fines levied by the courts paid anonymously from the Contingency Fund, to ensure that misdirected citizens do not suffer unnecessary loss of liberty, that detention places are not occupied by attention-seekers, and that publicity is minimised, largely for the good of the misfortunate individual concerned and their shamed families.

(Nor, I might add, are we talking about sentences being served in the 19th century Marshalsea Debtors' Prison, but in an open prison, where the presence of the national flag may be the only indicator that we are not looking at a Clarion Hotel!)

Please be assured that RTE is not pleased to see any citizen breaking the law, nor to see any citizen sent to gaol. Neither, I might add, is RTE the prosecuting authority.

I trust this disposes adequately of any concerns expressed on this matter.
    That's lovely.

I am on disability allowance. As a result, I am entitled to a free tv licence, or so I'm told.
    I applied for it, but was rejected. No reason was given.
    I live alone, and fit all the criteria, so there should not have been a problem.

The government is now going to send a mentally ill person to jail for not fitting their criteria of being mentally ill.

I look forward to my three meals a day, and my tv licence free viewing of RTÉ's shows at the expense of the tax payer.

I just hope that the prison doctor give me my medication.

Praise Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hugo, what is your connection with RTE?

I'll repeat this again for you Hugo, as you seem to miss it.

Condescending troll is condescending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

RTE some load of poor talent just look how they destroyed the late late show!
    its the type of place its not what ye know its who ye know to get in there!just look at some of there so called over paid over rated stars, my god make its laughable for a national station. Rubbish Tripe Entertainment!

patwicklow wrote: »
    RTE some load of poor talent just look how they destroyed the late late show!
    its the type of place its not what ye know its who ye know to get in there!just look at some of there so called over paid over rated stars, my god make its laughable for a national station. Rubbish Tripe Entertainment!

Well, this is certainly a novel argument that will bear much careful analysis and teasing out. We may need to divide up the work, as addressing it to the standard of rebuttal demanded here is probably beyond the powers of one mere man. How have we been so lucky as to come so far in life without having such cartesian logic levied against us? Education has certainly not been wasted on everyone in this land.

• Advertisement

Hugo, what connection do you have with rte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

"A new Fines Bill, due to give the courts power to impose community service orders, such as painting, landscaping or cleaning, is expected to become law this year."

That looks like a moneyspinner if I ever saw one.What exactly is this for or suppose to prevent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

How much are your employers (RTE) paying your per post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

(I find it hard to believe that this is not simply provocative posting calculated to get under the skin of patriotic listeners and viewers, but I cannot resist correcting the record.)

Derek is, as it happens, a highly gifted broadcaster, who has adapted to a dead time of day to enliven life for us. He is equally capable of much more serious broadcasting, as his scientific background would lead one to suspect.

We have Joe, we have Marty on RTE Lyric FM, we have Ronan on the senior service, we have Frank McNamara on RTE Lyric FM, we have John Murray making the nation laugh, RTE Lyric FM is where people go to hear Gay on a Sunday afternoon, we have Ryan on RTE 2FM, we have Pat every morning, we have Marion at weekends, there's Andy many Saturday evenings, there is Miriam, Mike is back on RTE One, Pat is in his element on Frontline: this is the talent that the competition tries and fails to poach. Patriotism and loyalty keep the on-air talent here; the viewers and listeners should demonstrate the same cordial loyalty to their national station.

Behind the mics and behind the cameras, RTE is also awash with talent that is the envy of broadcasters the world over.

Stick with what you know and value what you have and pay the modest tax to allow us to continue to enjoy the crème de la crème.

I would prefer to see rte be gutted and sold off than pay the forced TV license fee.
    i do not watch rte why should i pay for a service i do not want or need or use in any way whatsoever?
    RTE tv should be a subscription service hopefully someday so only the people who want it pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You see, we all view RTE television

Nope. not me.

[edit] I thought I would expand on this, as Hugo appears to be living in a different world to me.
    You see, we all view RTE television, at least during an election count, or during a Presidential inauguration, or when 'monster rain' is forecast, or when we have rights to a major sports event. Nobody, not even in the Black Valley in Kerry, ever really 'doesn't watch' RTE, in my experience.

We have this thing called the internet. I can view material not related to RTE which covers what you mention. I see you mention Eastenders/Coronation Street, but truth is I don't watch that either.

Now I may appear to be an exception to you, but truth is I am what RTE expects in the future. My nieces for example don't watch TV stations, neither does my son, or my family. The only person I'm aware of is my Mother who watches 3 shows on RTE.

It isn't because they don't have a TV, because we all do. It is the TV as a medium is dated and on its way out.

So to me RTE primary demographic is the 50+ and only getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Hugo, Hugo, Brady Brown, will you be my nemesis?

I kind of enjoy the pomp and ceremony in your missives. The (perhaps unintentionally) hilarious thing is that you are defending mediocre television with the kind of purple prose usually reserved for defending obscure philosophies or difficult literary productions.

You're like a Montrose-inspired version of comic book guy in The Simpsons!

To some people, RTE 'stars' like Pat Kenny, Marian Finucane et al are the height of culture and talent. To the rest of Ireland, and indeed the entire human race outside this little isle, they are of no cultural importance whatsoever. Zilch.

To me at least, it then smacks of low standards to pay non-entities like these such huge wages. Remember no one wants them out of a job --but I think people would appreciate it if their wages bore some relation to established laws of physics :D

However, you appear to be fairly polite and I can assure you that you are harmless, so it's probaby best that we agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

By the way ....having relocated to the country last year, and doing a little asking around...it appears the license fee is discriminatory against urban dwellers...People in my area do not get visits from the licence inspector. In Dublin i had annual visits..
    So going by the unofficial rule "don't pay until you have too" the people of said rural area will never pay. How much revenue is lost from the countryside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was wondering recently why RTE is getting money from the licence fee when they also get money from advertising. The BBC aren't allowed to advertise so why doesn't the same apply to RTE? I know there is a difference in population numbers but I don't really see what that has to do with it, except that perhaps the BBC has to cater to a more diverse and bigger audience so you could argue they deserve funding from more avenues than RTE does.

I almost never watch RTE One or Two. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've watched RTE this year to date. There's just very rarely anything on it that I want to watch. Occasionally I will flick on the RTE News if there's something specific going on here that I want to know about, but other than that, I never watch either channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Irelands (read RTEs) top talent whore Noel Kelly has spoken out as his clients struggle to pay the mortgage

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-stars-are-struggling-to-pay-their-mortgage-bills-2933380.html
    Some of RTE's well-known faces are struggling to pay mortgages and other bills, according to Ireland's biggest talent agent.

Noel Kelly has spoken out against the backlash RTE presenters are facing over their pay -- revealing that some of the personalities are struggling to make ends meet on their current salaries.

His comments come as RTE announced this weekend that the top 10 RTE presenters earned €4m between them in 2009.

Speaking to the Sunday Independent, Mr Kelly, who is Ireland's first showbiz superagent, said the fixation on stars' salaries is in stark contrast to the reality many TV personalities are facing.

"These figures are completely blown out of proportion," he explained.

"You forget that you have to take 51pc tax off, PRSI, PAYE and then health insurance, which gets more expensive as you get older. And then, of course, there's no guarantee of job security."

Mr Kelly, who represents some of Ireland's biggest names, said everyone had now played their part.

"Some of the talent on my books have taken a number of pay cuts since 2008. There is no doubt about it, they are stepping up to the plate time and time again."

And he revealed the financial pressures that some of Ireland's household names were now facing: "Some of the talent can't afford to pay their bills or bloody mortgages with what they earn and with work not being renewed. If a show is cancelled what can you do? You can't exactly force them [the RTE bosses] to keep it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bradlente wrote: »
    "A new Fines Bill, due to give the courts power to impose community service orders, such as painting, landscaping or cleaning, is expected to become law this year."

That looks like a moneyspinner if I ever saw one.What exactly is this for or suppose to prevent?
    It is supposed to be a deterrent to stop tax evasion, surely you understand why we have prisons & fines. as I said-
    rubadub wrote: »
    It sickens me to think of all these people out there who are in effect stealing from my wallet and laughing at it like its a victimless crime or something. Where the fuck do they think the shortfall is going to come from.

Imprisoning non-violent criminals is going to cost a lot more for the taxpayer, with community work at least there is some benefit while still being a deterrent for the robbing scumbags.
    G-Money wrote: »
    I was wondering recently why RTE is getting money from the licence fee when they also get money from advertising.
    it has been explained numerous times already. Would you prefer the fee to double and have no ads? I would prefer more ads and lower fees.
    unofficial rule "don't pay until you have too"
    more like "steal from from decent people until you get caught", I wonder what other crimes these assholes would take up if enforcement those laws was lax.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    Nope. not me.

[edit] I thought I would expand on this, as Hugo appears to be living in a different world to me.

We have this thing called the internet. I can view material not related to RTE which covers what you mention. I see you mention Eastenders/Coronation Street, but truth is I don't watch that either.

Now I may appear to be an exception to you, but truth is I am what RTE expects in the future. My nieces for example don't watch TV stations, neither does my son, or my family. The only person I'm aware of is my Mother who watches 3 shows on RTE.

It isn't because they don't have a TV, because we all do. It is the TV as a medium is dated and on its way out.

I have heard of the Internet, as it happens. However, what Teilifís offers that is distinctive is the possibility of Ireland's being a commmunity, looking together at the Late Show with Ryan, or whatever else we all enjoy, so that we have an immediate contemporary culture and common points of reference and a common popular culture. Everyone, in every rank, condition and station in life, can view and thoroughly enjoy the magazine and discussion programme, and RTE N&CA, Light Entertainment and Features output, and society is the beneficiary. It is by feeding the nation simultaneously the same diet that the nation is kept together, discussing and talking together.

This is, as it happens, identical to the positive outcome of even the unsavoury subjects sometimes discussed on Talk to Joe on the Liveline: we all listen avidly, we all form our independent opinions, and then for 24 hours we have something in common for casual conversation. Or think of what we all gain from Marty Whelan on Marty in the Morning on RTE Lyric FM, weekdays from 7 to 10 am, with three glorious hours of fun and frolics, of the finest of music and the banter with the lovely Arwen Foley or the hilarious Rebecca Horan from AA Roadwatch!

In contrast, the Internet divides people up into atomised units, each following their own, possibly selfish interests, and communciating, not with real people or with Joe himself (and other stars) either in reality or in our mind's ear, but with hidden individuals, who may not always be what they seem to be. (What was it the famous New Yorker cartoon said about the Internet?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hobbes wrote: »
    Nope. not me.

Hey - watch it!:D I'm 52, but I suppose I would be different to my peers, given that I would use the Internet more for news than the TV - and would be more computer literate than them. But you're spot on. you are far from the exception and are quickly becoming the norm. In the coming years it will be all about convergence. Even today, what should we class as a "TV"? Withe, as you point out, the Internet, 'Smart TVs', Media Players, handhelds, the list is endless.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Hey - watch it!:D I'm 52, but I suppose I would be different to my peers, given that I would use the Internet more for news than the TV - and would be more computer literate than them. But you're spot on. you are far from the exception and are quickly becoming the norm. In the coming years it will be all about convergence. Even today, what should we class as a "TV"? Withe, as you point out, the Internet, 'Smart TVs', Media Players, handhelds, the list is endless.

I have a handheld myself, but I still think of Ryan, listen to Marty and am minded to Talk to Joe.

mike65 wrote: »
    Irelands (read RTEs) top talent whore Noel Kelly has spoken out as his clients struggle to pay the mortgage

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-stars-are-struggling-to-pay-their-mortgage-bills-2933380.html

FF. Are these people ACTUALLY in the real world? If they bought normal houses like the rest of us they wouldn't have these problem. Do they not forget that some of the rest of us ALSO pay 51% in some instances?

In contrast, the Internet divides people up into atomised units,
    And TV doesn't?

G-Money wrote: »
    I was wondering recently why RTE is getting money from the licence fee when they also get money from advertising. The BBC aren't allowed to advertise so why doesn't the same apply to RTE? I know there is a difference in population numbers but I don't really see what that has to do with it, except that perhaps the BBC has to cater to a more diverse and bigger audience so you could argue they deserve funding from more avenues than RTE does.

I almost never watch RTE One or Two. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've watched RTE this year to date. There's just very rarely anything on it that I want to watch. Occasionally I will flick on the RTE News if there's something specific going on here that I want to know about, but other than that, I never watch either channel.

Good points. It's amazing that the EU or competition authority cannot step in - or don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

This is, as it happens, identical to the positive outcome of even the unsavoury subjects sometimes discussed on Talk to Joe on the Liveline: we all listen avidly, we all form our independent opinions, and then for 24 hours we have something in common for casual conversation. Or think of what we all gain from Marty Whelan on Marty in the Morning on RTE Lyric FM, weekdays from 7 to 10 am, with three glorious hours of fun and frolics, of the finest of music and the banter with the lovely Arwen Foley or the hilarious Rebecca Horan from AA Roadwatch!

Whats with this we all business?
    you saying everyone loves lyric fm ? yeah right....wonderful:rolleyes:

And TV doesn't?

Well, no, not really; we all gather round in the drawing room as a group, talking to each other about it and talking back at it: old-fashioned interactive television, I might call it, with a wry smile!

Hugo, what connection do you have with rte?

You still seem unable to answer this question, yet you can answer all others.

Is your inability to answer an admission that you work for rte?

I am reminded of a certain interview given by a mr. Paxman .... I can ask it all day.

• Advertisement

That was a distinctly one-sided Irish Times radio column yesterday, which has only now been drawn to my attention. Will Sir print letters of rebuttal, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You still seem unable to answer this question, yet you can answer all others.

Is your inability to answer an admission that you work for rte?

I am reminded of a certain interview given by a mr. Paxman .... I can ask it all day.

Good luck getting a waffle-free answer.
    I've tried....... see below.
    So until proven otherwise personally I will take it that HugoBradyBrown is an RTE insider and does not speak for viewers.
    Readers take note.
    mikom wrote: »
    Once again.....

You are/have been connected to RTE in some form so, other than being a listener/watcher Hugo?

Be careful with your answer.
    My intuition is that the reason all of us are here is that we are connected with RTE in one way or another, whether as TV tax payers, or as tax evaders with a date with destiny before the District Judge!

Indeed, my experience is that some outsiders have more of an obsession than the insiders; less knowledge, of course, but, I suppose, that tends to fortify their opinions!

Allow me to be your Guide! Your RTE Guide!

With great care,

Hugo Brady Brown ;)
    You are not doing yourself any favors here.
    Sidestep as predicted by Wertz.

Once again.....

I have never been connected to RTE in any form, other than being a listener/watcher on occasion.

You are/have been connected to RTE in some form so, other than being a listener/watcher Hugo?

Again be careful with your answer.
    The silence speaks volumes.

I'll take it as given so that you are connected to RTE in some form.
    I'll be sure to alert others.
    I wonder if it is envisaged to place full-page ads in the national press for this purpose! This sounds almost as energetic as wanting to invade Poland before tea. I am glad that the equanimity within Radio Centre I spoke of recently extends to my good self. If it did not, I should be inclined to interpret the quoted post as a warning bordering on the menacing.

I tend to find that when my views becomes unanswerable, some people find that they become simultaneously unbearable, and they begin to rummage about for some incidental or collateral aspect of them in an effort to harry me or to muddy the waters in some way.

As Gay used to tell us from time to time, there's always the 'Off' button!

Hugo Brady Brown
    More waffle..... and still my query sits unanswered

Be seeing you round, Mr insider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Should RTE be relieved of their dual income (advertising and the licence fee)?

I believe so. 100%.

They should be relieved of their right to broadcast.

Unless of course, Sharon Ni Whateverthe**** releases her inner Nazi, dons suspenders and whips Brian Dobson's bare ass on the six o'clock news.

Well, no, not really; we all gather round in the drawing room as a group, talking to each other about it and talking back at it: old-fashioned interactive television, I might call it, with a wry smile!

Come on Hugs. You've been winding up across two threads all weekend. Give it a rest!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Why dont RTE encrypt thier stations and whoever wants to pay to view let them pay. We are being forced to pay for something that not all of us desire.

Even if its impossible for you to recieve a signal you still have to cough up.

Unless of course, Sharon Ni Whateverthe**** releases her inner Nazi, dons suspenders and whips Brian Dobson's bare ass on the six o'clock news.

That would make the licence fee worth it! But maybe one of the weather girls instead of Dobbo...........:p:D

• Advertisement

Withdraw this disgraceful post, sir! It is offensive on several fronts.

Why dont RTE encrypt thier stations and whoever wants to pay to view let them pay. We are being forced to pay for something that not all of us desire.

This post contains more implied wisdom than the poster may realise.I would not recommend such a complex solution, but I think we need to look at other options.

I have argued for years that linking the TV tax to possession of a receiving apparatus is self-defeating, due to the difficulties involved in collection, and to the advance of technology.

My proposed solutions have included incorporating the TV tax into a property tax, or having it as a standard deduction from every PPS account (with the usual exceptions of pensioners and others); having a hypothecated indirect tax on certain luxury goods such as alcohol; imposing an excise duty on audiovisual goods sales, goods rentals and cinema tickets; the list of possibilities for exacting the revenue painlessly can be added to.

We are wasting effort and exposing ourselves to ill-informed criticisms by continuing to apply a 1920's Post Office model to funding and sustaining one of our greatest national resources. The funding should be painless and invisible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It is massively inflated, not for purpose and should be stripped down to the essentials of which there are few.

This post contains more implied wisdom than the poster may realise.I would not recommend such a complex solution, but I think we need to look at other options.

I have argued for years that linking the TV tax to possession of a receiving apparatus is self-defeating, due to the difficulties involved in collection, and to the advance of technology.

My proposed solutions have included incorporating the TV tax into a property tax, or having it as a standard deduction from every PPS account (with the usual exceptions of pensioners and others); having a hypothecated indirect tax on certain luxury goods such as alcohol; imposing an excise duty on audiovisual goods sales, goods rentals and cinema tickets; the list of possibilities for exacting the revenue painlessly can be added to.

We are wasting effort and exposing ourselves to ill-informed criticisms by continuing to apply a 1920's Post Office model to funding and sustaining one of our greatest national resources. The funding should be painless and invisible.

Your missing the point. I don't want to pay for RTE as I don't watch it. If I didn't have to pay for it then it would be painless but as you are a spokesperson for the RTE I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Your missing the point. I don't want to pay for RTE as I don't watch it. If I didn't have to pay for it then it would be painless but as you are a spokesperson for the RTE I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

And trust me RTE is not a luxury good.
    Greater good =. RTEs wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

(I find it hard to believe that this is not simply provocative posting calculated to get under the skin of patriotic listeners and viewers, but I cannot resist correcting the record.)

Derek is, as it happens, a highly gifted broadcaster, who has adapted to a dead time of day to enliven life for us. He is equally capable of much more serious broadcasting, as his scientific background would lead one to suspect.

We have Joe, we have Marty on RTE Lyric FM, we have Ronan on the senior service, we have Frank McNamara on RTE Lyric FM, we have John Murray making the nation laugh, RTE Lyric FM is where people go to hear Gay on a Sunday afternoon, we have Ryan on RTE 2FM, we have Pat every morning, we have Marion at weekends, there's Andy many Saturday evenings, there is Miriam, Mike is back on RTE One, Pat is in his element on Frontline: this is the talent that the competition tries and fails to poach. Patriotism and loyalty keep the on-air talent here; the viewers and listeners should demonstrate the same cordial loyalty to their national station.

Behind the mics and behind the cameras, RTE is also awash with talent that is the envy of broadcasters the world over.

Stick with what you know and value what you have and pay the modest tax to allow us to continue to enjoy the crème de la crème.

they might have the people but they sure as hell dont have the shows, its all pure garbage, and mooney (although he is good) takes up two hours of primetime radio talking about birds FFS

Mods please remove the rte shill.

Overature wrote: »
    they might have the people but they sure as hell dont have the shows, its all pure garbage, and mooney (although he is good) takes up two hours of primetime radio talking about birds FFS

Derek's nature work goes back many years, to when he had gravy yard shifts and when he aired while people were on the shopping run on a Saturday, with young Éanna and Richard the swan man. Nature programmes have always proved a reliable way of capturing the more studious child, who was then hooked for life on the senior service.

And we are, at bottom, a rural people, close to nature and to the land. We should not forget our roots.

The BBC have had huge success with Springwatch and with Autumnwatch; One Man and his Dog has returned this year to great acclaim. Yet, when RTE does anything in a similar vein, metrosexual critics emerge from the woodwork to denounce it from a great height of sneering disdain.

And yet, the people in their hundreds of thousands have spoken. We must listen!

Mods please remove the rte shill.

if you type in HBB and a certain few letters all is revealed..:D:D:D

gotcha hugo.. oh sorry hugo brandy brown:cool:

jimmynokia wrote: »
    if you type in HBB and a certain few letters all is revealed..:D:D:D

gotcha hugo.. oh sorry hugo brandy brown:cool:

As so often before, I am at a loss to grasp your point, sir.

:confused:

then this appears in the paper today i nearly fell of the chair laughing

RTE stars struggle to pay mortgage is this a joke.

Sunday November 13 2011
    Some of RTE's well-known faces are struggling to pay mortgages and other bills, according to Ireland's biggest talent agent.

Noel Kelly has spoken out against the backlash RTE presenters are facing over their pay -- revealing that some of the personalities are struggling to make ends meet on their current salaries.

His comments come as RTE announced this weekend that the top 10 RTE presenters earned €4m between them in 2009.

Speaking to the Sunday Independent, Mr Kelly, who is Ireland's first showbiz superagent, said the fixation on stars' salaries is in stark contrast to the reality many TV personalities are facing.

"These figures are completely blown out of proportion," he explained.

"You forget that you have to take 51pc tax off, PRSI, PAYE and then health insurance, which gets more expensive as you get older. And then, of course, there's no guarantee of job security."

Mr Kelly, who represents some of Ireland's biggest names, said everyone had now played their part.

"Some of the talent on my books have taken a number of pay cuts since 2008. There is no doubt about it, they are stepping up to the plate time and time again."

And he revealed the financial pressures that some of Ireland's household names were now facing: "Some of the talent can't afford to pay their bills or bloody mortgages with what they earn and with work not being renewed. If a show is cancelled what can you do? You can't exactly force them [the RTE bosses] to keep it on.

"We have people struggling like everyone else, trying to get an interest-only mortgage and not being able to get one, having to sell their car. This idea of them living in this ivory tower on huge wages is simply not true.

"When you look at a footballer's career, they only get a certain amount of time and there's no certainty in it, and it's the same in the media.

"People contracted to RTE who are not permanent members of staff have no pension, no sick pay and no security."

Commenting on TV3 presenter's Mark Cagney's comments this week that RTE's biggest names "are living in a cocoon", Mr Kelly said: "It's easy to throw stones but it's not true. Commercial station rates aren't exactly small either. They are willing to pay for big names and big presenters too."

Meanwhile, Sean O'Rourke, who appeared on the list earning €214,084 in 2009, has spoken out this weekend about the latest figures.

"I've already taken three pay cuts since the start of the recession and that figure includes the amount RTE put towards my pension contribution.

"It's also worth pointing out that I believe there are several broadcasters in the private sector who are earning the same, if not more, than the people on RTE's top 10 list."

The only newcomer to the top 10 is 2fm presenter Colm Hayes, who joined the station from FM104 in 2007. He earned €213,954.

Speaking this weekend, he said: "That figure is two years old and does not reflect what I'm earning now.

"That reflects a figure that I was enticed out of commercial radio for. Then the recession hit and there were cutbacks and I have had two contracts since and taken a significant pay decrease in each. Noel Curran has made it clear that when new contracts come around, there will be a 30pc cut and that's the reality of where we are now and I'm delighted to play my part."

Remarking on the top 10 salaries, a long-serving producer in RTE said: "The biggest thing that jumped out at me was, despite being probably the hardest working presenter in the country with Prime Time, Miriam Meets and Saturday Night With Miriam and taking virtually no holidays ever, and constantly doing endless additional work like the presidential debate, all the weekend coverage of the presidential election count and this coming new year's eve special, it's clear Miriam gets a lot lot less than the other big names.

They added: "The fees are high but it's remarkably unfair how some are inexplicably much higher than others. It's also worth noting that only two of the top 10 are female, so there does seem to be a large degree of gender imbalance there."

Pat Kenny remains RTE's top-paid presenter, according to the latest salary figures which were released by the state broadcaster on Friday.

In what is the first time in two years that RTE has agreed to publish the fees it pays to its top 10 presenters, it was revealed that Kenny earned €729,604 in 2009, while the next highest earner in 2009 was the late Gerry Ryan, who earned €585,944.

Ryan Tubridy is in third place with €519,667, despite taking over the Late Late Show.

Marian Finucane's fee of €570,000 is seen as the most controversial because she only broadcasts four hours a week. The presenter saw a 10 per cent reduction to €513,270.

RTE's Liveline presenter Joe Duffy's fee was €389,314 in 2009, while Miriam O'Callaghan earned €290,625.

Derek Mooney is RTE's seventh highest-paid employee earning €268,985 in 2009, while Eamon Dunphy took home €225,485.

- NIAMH HORAN, Entertainment News Reporte

and now this...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/old-age-telly-licence-faces-cut-2933343.html

Sunday November 13 2011
    Budgets for shows such as crime drama 'Love/Hate' could be further squeezed as RTE faces a possible €20m hit to revenues as payments to cover the free pensioner television licence may be slashed.

RTE received close to €60m per year from the State to cover the cost of free licences for people over the age of 65. However, the major overhaul of social welfare and benefits looming in the Budget means that this payment may be capped at closer to €40m. RTE will have to make up the shortfall from its own resources or free TV licences may have to be scrapped.

It is understood that limited discussions have taken place between Joan Burton's Department of Social Protection and RTE over the matter in recent weeks. Suggestions that up to €700m will be slashed off the €21bn social welfare bill have been downplayed by the department.

Earlier this year it emerged that RTE was forecast to report a €25m deficit weighed down by restructuring of the licence fee, weak advertising and the costs of digital television.

As so often before, I am at a loss to grasp your point, sir.

:confused:

oh dear hugo you will soon in the very much public eye trust me...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have heard of the Internet, as it happens. However, what Teilifís offers that is distinctive is the possibility of Ireland's being a commmunity,...

The TV is push media. You don't have a say in what gets aired and when, certainly not in comparison to pull media.
    looking together at the Late Show with Ryan, or whatever else we all enjoy, so that we have an immediate contemporary culture and common points of reference and a common popular culture.

I don't see how that offers any advantage over the internet. We can do that already on the Internet. The very website you are reading now has a better spread of what Ireland is like vs what you get on TV.
    Everyone, in every rank, condition and station in life, can view and thoroughly enjoy the...

As long as they pay for the pleasure to do so.
    In contrast, the Internet ....

Your comments are made up and have no basis in fact. I have a better chance of talking directly to a super star (manufactured or not) online then I do say trying to call into a show at a fixed time during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Based on the now infamous rumor of "SIX... HUNDRED... THOUSAND... POUND!!!!", it takes the full annual license fee of 3750 people just to pay Pat Kenny.

Just throwing that out there...

• Advertisement
Advertisement