Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and the Licence FEE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    anybody here ever heard of the libertas institute?

Ganleys group right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

psychward wrote: »
    We managed to have a culture and society for thousands of years before the existence of RTE and the invention of television yet you have the self regarding egomaniacs at RTE making their propagation of foreign shows and promotion of overpaid mediocre party hacks to be something indispensable to this ancient culture even though it managed to survive under terrible conditions for 99.9% of the time without it... a pure propaganda lie vested in selfish self interest . The parasitic cancer of RTE needs to be disposed of asap.

Well said. Watched the 6-1 News tonight. After a lengthy report on the pending Government cuts, a 'political correspondent' (one of many) was wheeled out to explain them further. As if we all didn't know anyway. Perhaps RTE still live under the illusion that this is the Ireland of the 40s and 50s, and that the idiot populace need everything explained to them in minute detail.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

The group that has a "Hugo Brown" as a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

mikom wrote: »

Ganleys group right?

Think so cant say much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Not sure what you're getting at here Jimmy?

The question appears a little loaded. Unless a certain posters membership or otherwise of libertas is somehow at odds with their opinion as expressed on thread, what's the relevance?

Not sure what you're getting at here Jimmy?

The question appears a little loaded. Unless a certain posters membership or otherwise of libertas is somehow at odds with their opinion as expressed on thread, what's the relevance?

all in good time. its very relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

See poll results so far Yes 215 No 30 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

all in good time. its very relevant.

I would at this point go no further than to advise certain posters to proceed with the utmost care and with the most rigorous attention to detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

This is, I suggest, a touch extreme, even in its very language.

You have some nerve criticizing the language of others when RTE engages in censorship of information the public has a right to know about e.g covering up the arrival of the IMF so we had to hear it first from the BBC, a channel which you accuse of jingoism in an unbalanced biased way in order to distract us from your own inadequacies. You are extremely disingenuous in your language. Typical for those who control the flow of information to use this control to do a hatchet job on those they disagree with and ignore the failings of those they support regardless of how many wrongs they do. Lucky for the rest of us your RTE demographic is heading towards the over 50s and your party is nearly over.

You have some nerve criticizing the language of others when RTE engages in censorship of information the public has a right to know about e.g covering up the arrival of the IMF so we had to hear it first from the BBC, a channel which you accuse of jingoism in an unbalanced biased way in order to distract us from your own inadequacies. You are extremely disingenuous in your language. Typical for those who control the flow of information to use this control to do a hatchet job on those they disagree with and ignore those they support regardless of how many wrongs they do. Lucky for the rest of us your RTE demographic is heading towards the over 50s and your party is nearly over.

Well, that is an improvement in tone, I suppose, if not in content.

• Advertisement

Well, that is an improvement in tone, I suppose, if not in content.

your tone and arrogant sense of entitlement that you in RTE are somehow special never changes sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hugo Whatsit.
    RTÉ should have a few extra million lying around since the coke fiend that was Gerry Ryan snorted his last line.

Surely they can put that money to good use, like lowering the licence fee or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I would at this point go no further than to advise certain posters to proceed with the utmost care and with the most rigorous attention to detail.

Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

super-rush wrote: »
    Why is that?

Move it to the terrestrial forum and let icdg deal with it. It is after all where this discussion belongs with the countless other know it all wanna be tax dodgers/commercial operators/whingers.

Same oul moaners all the time my friend.

@ Hugo. Do not feel trolls or commercial interests/people that just dont wanna know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

what are you waffling about ive never mentioned anything about job security anywhere ever...

Quote fail by me, it was in the indo article which was what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If we hold ourselves out to be a distinct state, surely we need to hear and see our own stories, to have our Public Service Broadcaster facilitating us talking to ourselves.

I agree with the above i.e. that we need some sort of broadcast cultural anchor point and that's what RTE should be.

I personally think that RTE should be slimmed down to something resembling an actual public broadcasting service because at the moment it seems to be an unwieldy mix of a private and public operation.

RTE 2 and Radio two have very little in the way of programs that could be deemed culturally important. In fact much of the programming on RTE2 is foreign and those very programs can be gotten for free through the UK FTA satellite service making their purchase an utter waste of money and air time.

I would advocate concentrating on perhaps 2 TV stations RTE1 & TG4 and 2 radio stations RTE1 and RTE Irish speaking.

I have to say that RTE sports coverage kicks ass btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

STB wrote: »
    Move it to the terrestrial forum and let icdg deal with it. It is after all where this discussion belongs with the countless other know it all wanna be tax dodgers/commercial operators/whingers.

Same oul moaners all the time my friend.

@ Hugo. Do not feel trolls or commercial interests/people that just dont wanna know ?

Let me worry about where the thread should be.

Move it to the terrestrial forum and let icdg deal with it.

Translation:
    Move it to the terrestrial forum where we can bury it and shut down any dissenting voices.

• Advertisement

What about the fact that spar paid €900,000 to brand christies shop a Spar store for the next few years THAT show is more than paying its way it seems.

Would we all not agree that this is how RTE Drama achieves verisimilitude through prudence? There are few things more evidently fake than concocted commercial names in contemporary drama. The aim is to seduce the viewer into a suspension of disbelief while watching City, as in all great television drama. (And, by the way, I do not have the financial details to hand immediately, but it does seem like a fair bargain - 'fair city', you might say!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Would we all not agree that this is how RTE Drama achieves verisimilitude through prudence? There are few things more evidently fake than concocted commercial names in contemporary drama. The aim is to seduce the viewer into a suspension of disbelief while watching City, as in all great television drama. (And, by the way, I do not have the financial details to hand immediately, but it does seem like a fair bargain - 'fair city', you might say!)

I can only assume you are levelling at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

was rte not the first to bring in programmes like lost,and prison break to ireland im sure theres other programmes out there. as for sports ie football nd rugby i think the sports analyst's have the right idea of just saying it how it is but its just too boring,they dont make the events such as the rugby world cup exciting like others do.

skinny90 wrote: »
    was rte not the first to bring in programmes like lost,and prison break to ireland

At what cost? And only because they enjoy a TRIPLE income stream. FFS how this is allowed to continue I don't know. Competition Authority my arse.

Translation:
    Move it to the terrestrial forum where we can bury it and shut down any dissenting voices.

Yep. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's less than 12 hours until the next edition of Marty in the Morning, RTE Lyric FM, 7 - 10 am, Monday to Friday! (Thursdays live from Dundrum Town Centre, Fridays with Neven Maguire as special guest.) Thank you for the reminder.

)

:)

Now see this type of posting Hugo is what I was referring to with my accusation of spamming. It's almost word for word on what you've cross posted on other forums on other days.
    You are promoting free gratis a radio show on a forum who benefits in no way from yourself or the radio show in question.

As for Mr Whelan, RTÉ must be having a laugh...they take a guy from 2FM, put him on R1...get tired of him on there and put him back on 2FM for the breakfast show...and then see fit to pass him on to the prime morning spot on Lyric?
    It's like the beeb putting Chris Moyles on to BBC R3...incongruity in the extreme... Whelan does not exude the culture or the persona that should be coming across from Lyric's output and his show will lose the station listeners IMO. But hey that's your boat, sail it onto the rocks if you like...
    But, to cut, as Proust would say when he was relaxing, to the chase: if RTE PSB was anything like as bad as the vocal minority here claim, would we tolerate it? The public themselves would be up in arms. The contrary is the factual position; check the figures for the latest available Late Show; see what Brendan pulled in; check on how many chose to join the Liveline; how many watched the 'Streakers' on Saturday night?

These are facts; they may be unpalatable to persons with fixed views against the national broadcaster, but they are facts. To say otherwise is on all fours with trying to deny gravity, as everything tumbles towards the ground before your eyes. My views are with the people.

A majority of the Irish audeince is a captive and institutionalised one... many know no better than to stick on the telly of an evening and watch whatever they're fed, many may only have the domestic channels,...for many it may constituent "chewing gum for the eyes".
    The public themselves are sometimes up in arms...but where oh where would they get a medium on which to disseminate their distaste...boards is one of the very few places where you can level criticism and have a discussion...you sure as hell can't have one on the national broadcaster, because they only have self interest at heart and any criticsm is brushed off as commoner talk and such, not least by yourself on this very thread.
    Without yielding on the privilege of my PM, I should say that the quoted post is starkly at variance with the factual situation. I should also say that to breach the charter by even suggesting posting material conveyed in confidence fills me with great unease, and with concern about the ethics of the community of posters on this forum.
    Ah so now you wish to have the charter applied?

Read the main forum charter... you sound as if you have a lawyer on speed dial ready to pounce. Proceed with caution yourself.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Now see this type of posting Hugo is what I was referring to with my accusation of spamming. It's almost word for word on what you've cross posted on other forums on other days.
    You are promoting free gratis a radio show on a forum who benefits in no way from yourself or the radio show in question.

As for Mr Whelan, RTÉ must be having a laugh...they take a guy from 2FM, put him on R1...get tired of him on there and put him back on 2FM for the breakfast show...and then see fit to pass him on to the prime morning spot on Lyric?
    It's like the beeb putting Chris Moyles on to BBC R3...incongruity in the extreme... Whelan does not exude the culture or the persona that should be coming across from Lyric's output and his show will lose the station listeners IMO. But hey that's your boat, sail it onto the rocks if you like...

My post referred to in the above was, I had hoped, a rather witty meta-retort to someone who had raised the matter of Marty in the Morning (well, you all know the TX times by now).

I am blue in the face from trying to get across to people the simple truth that 'classical' music is not just the music of the graveyard, the schoolroom or the church. It has as many facets and faces as any other music, and it befits us as well to have a wise & witty presenter in the studio as to have a 'cardigan-wearing-polytechnic-lecturer-on-Ovaltine' as the presenter.

Marty, in the view of large majority of his contented and steadily growing listenership, is a breath of fresh air for the nation, as he seduces us into facing the grey day, through his banter, his flights of fancy, his rapid-fire wit, his high intelligence and the musical interludes of the programme. There is nothing in the least like spamming about trying in subtly different ways to hold this rather limpid concept up to the light, in order for those who are thus far blind to it to perceive what the rest of us see. Consider the mails and texts that Marty reads out each morning from devoted fans and novice listeners, for an indication of how MITM meets PSB objectives on popularity grounds. (There are, of course, none so blind ....)

Incidentally, there is no comparison between Chris Moyles and Marty Whelan, and it is unfair to all readers to try to slip such an outlandish comparison into this thread, in my view.

Neither is RTE Lyric FM BBC Radio 3; our station has its own identity, philosophy and style. It varies across the schedule, in order to meet the different requirements of its changing audience at different times of the day and of the week. BBC Radio 3 is radio for a tiny minority of highly educated musical experts; our station has to meet the needs of a proportionately far broader demographic group, otherwise it would be shut down as boorishly elitist. And rightly so, if it were being so offensive to the plain people of Ireland (which includes most of us).

Read the main forum charter... you sound as if you have a lawyer on speed dial ready to pounce. Proceed with caution yourself.

Both served as the host of the breakfast show on the "yoof" station, so the comparison is apt and is used since many readers may not get a more cyptic comparison. I could have used Mike Reade or Simon Mayo and it might well be more fitting since they're in the same age bracket as Marty Whelan. You still however would not see them rolled off over to the sister classical music station (and the station comparison is about as fair as it can be)
    It's more the done thing to ship some of them on to R2 with great results since they bring a musical knowledge on from past decades to play to the audience that has moved from R1 to R2. Funny I don't recall Whelan playing much if any of what he spins on Lyric during his heady days in 2FM.

...and FWIW I have the utmost liking for classical music but prefer R3's output in that regard over that of Lyric's on the occasion that I'd be listening to either...
    I wouldn't call R3's output elitist either...more speciallised perhaps, but music is music...you don't need some highly cultured ear or a royal title to listen to it for what it is... once again RTÉ seem to think that you have to have this broad range of appeal and hence miss the point of playing music...music is as much about hearing new stuff regardless of the genre as it is about hearing all that stiff you played last week.

Whilst we're on the subject BBC make much more of an effort to bring classical music to the masses than anything that RTÉ manage... and that includes BBC NI that you seem so fond of slating. We had some sort of proms event down here during the past summer...where was RTÉ's coverage of that? Where was their promotion? we're all supposed to just head along to Crosby's white elephant and queue up for Mooney tunes are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

What about the fact that spar paid €900,000 to brand christies shop a Spar store for the next few years THAT show is more than paying its way it seems.

Nothing at all great about fair city. Great drama.. Institutionised low standards :C

Whilst we're on the subject BBC make much more of an effort to bring classical music to the masses than anything that RTÉ manage... and that includes BBC NI that you seem so fond of slating. We had some sort of proms event down here during the past summer...where was RTÉ's coverage of that? Where was their promotion? we're supposed to

I have the highest regard for BBCNI, for what it is, a modest regional service, an opt-out, with the huge resources of the BBC behind it. So different down here, with a national service operating on an ever more pared budget.

In relation to the Proms hare, as you may know, financial restrictions make OB difficult to justify on the scale of the BBC's Proms commitment. But you may have noticed that even the BBC reined in their BBC Four coverage of the Proms both this year and last, from four nights per week to two. We are all operating in changed times, and we have to cut our cloth.

To consider how RTE keeps classical music alive in Ireland, think beyond the broadcasting role: think of the tours of the country by both orchestras, think of the RTENSO down in the Hall, Friday after Friday, think of the string quartet residencies, think of the RTE Phil, think of Cór na nÓg, think of the competitions that are either run or carried; think of the many 'RTE supporting the Arts' public service announcements on radio. Think then of all the broadcast hours given to our own musicians in this country.

I really take no pleasure in trouncing another chap's argument so thoroughly, but there you have it.

:)

So different down here, with a national service operating on an ever more pared budget.

Budget. Now THERE'S a contradiction in terms. A budget they should not have in the first instance, allowing them to squander money, while at the same time distorting the advertising market.

• Advertisement

What hall is that Hugo? I could count on one hand the number of time the symphony orchestra has played in my locale in the past number of years.

I did indeed notice that the proms output was cut back from previous years. However the output was still laudable and was made up of events across the nation, (viewable by means of the red button too, during and after) including from Bangor NI. Didn't hear a peep about the events down south until after the event...an attempt to keep the hoi polloi from turning up?

Think of how it's all paid for Hugo though...and how many of those people haven't the slightest heed for it. It's funny how you criticise R3 as elitist when that's exactly how RTÉ come across with their treatment of classical output. Orchestra's are expensive undertakings and those funded by RTÉ rely on a lot of public funding... the funding of niche markets like this is what pisses off the great unwashed, when their interests are served by mediocre attention to other musical types. Only very recently with the digital stations have we seen some much needed diversity in terms of popular music, but again the output is limited due to the nature of the broadcast medium; not everyone can receive DAB. RnaG make a better fist of tackling more left of field popular musical tastes than the woeful 2FM as far as I'm concerned, on the FM band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

My only gripe is how come TV3 or TG4 dont get some of the license fee money?
    If its perfectly fair for RTE to also advertise. Then its perfect fair for advertising channels such as TV3/TG4 to get a piece of the pie too.

HugoBradyBrown sounds like a parody of Terry Wogan's spitting image puppet on acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

LighterGuy wrote: »
    My only gripe is how come TV3 or TG4 dont get some of the license fee money?.

They do albeit indirectly.

Some of the licence money goes into something called the sound and vision fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    They do albeit indirectly.

Some of the licence money goes into something called the sound and vision fund.

Never knew that.
    But, RTE still gets the main cut tho, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

LighterGuy wrote: »
    But, RTE still gets the main cut tho, right?

Yup

HugoBradyBrown sounds like a parody of Terry Wogan's spitting image puppet on acid.
    :D

Is this legitimate criticism or is it vulgar abuse, or worse?

I would warn of the need to avoid making in any publication reckless remarks about any person that could be construed as diminishing, or intended or calculated to diminish, the esteem in which that person is held.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Quote fail by me, it was in the indo article which was what I meant.

all is forgiven:D

Why? Will you slap us with another dictionary you stumbled upon today?
    Or MAYBE a epitaph from penguin???

• Advertisement

I would warn of the need to avoid making in any publication reckless remarks about any person that could be construed as diminishing, or intended or calculated to diminish, the esteem in which that person is held.

I hear the pitter-patter of little lawyers feet.......

I hear the pitter-patter of little lawyers feet.......[/QUOT

he is no lawyer mikom...

Is this legitimate criticism or is it vulgar abuse, or worse?

What a shame that you cannot as you might put it ''share in the collective mirth and laughter of the nation'' when we laugh at your idiocy.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    So how do you explain the fact that TG4 gets a tiny fraction of RTE's funding and yet can produce top notch documentaries and the type of public service broadcasting which RTE miserably fails to ?

And this coming from someone who doesnt speak Gaelic and has no inclination to do so !

Mike, Tg4 are funded directly from the exchequer. Prior their seperation from RTE they were paid out of RTEs funding.
    How do they produce top notch documentaries ? Probably out of the funding they get from the BAI Broadcasting Fund (S&V). I do agree they produce some excellent documentaries.
    Terry wrote: »
    Hugo Whatsit.
    RTÉ should have a few extra million lying around since the coke fiend that was Gerry Ryan snorted his last line.

Surely they can put that money to good use, like lowering the licence fee or something.

You are a nice person aren't you ?

That "coke fiend" single handily funded 2fm's bills. So no that large advertising and sponsorship that Gerry Ryan commanded isnt lying around anymore. Like him or loathe him he had very high listenership figures. 2fm is self funded by advertising alone.

TBH people are only hearing their own voices in here. Between the ignorance of individuals and the mob mentality of attacking one poster, the name calling of the dead (wake up mods), I would wonder why anyone would even attempt a debate here. I'll leave yis to high five each other.

Mob Mentality. Good Luck with it.

That "drug fiend" single handily funded 2fm's bills.

why does he get quotes around that particular label ? why is he not treated in the exact same way by the media as those who pay the license fee would be in identical circumstances ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

why does he get quotes around that particular label ? why is he not treated in the exact same way by the media as those who pay the license fee would be in identical circumstances ?

He's posh...

That "coke fiend"

Correction.
    He was not a "coke fiend".
    He was actually a hypocrital cocaine user.
    Preaching against, yet using in his spare time.
    The worst kind.

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

It was of no relevance to the thread. It wasnt even funny.
    Correction.
    He was not a "coke fiend".
    He was actually a hypocrital cocaine user.
    Preaching against, yet using in his spare time.
    The worst kind.

In the first instance the quote is someone elses on this thread. Hypocritical cocaine users. Are they worse than keyboard warriors ?
    Shock horror someone in the entertainment business used cocaine. Again it was irrelevant to the thread, but if people need to take cheap shots at the dead, then let them at it I suppose.

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

an old Latin phrase meaning use the dead cynically to further a censorship/biased agenda ? I've seen that happen before :)

• Advertisement

Hypocritical cocaine users. Are they worse than keyboard warriors ?

Depends............ Is the keyboard warrior broadcasting to thousands each morning, saying one thing, then doing another, whilst getting well, well, paid for it.

Advertisement