Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and the Licence FEE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

STB wrote: »
    Mike, Tg4 are funded directly from the exchequer. Prior their seperation from RTE they were paid out of RTEs funding.
    How do they produce top notch documentaries ? Probably out of the funding they get from the BAI Broadcasting Fund (S&V). I do agree they produce some excellent documentaries..

Regardless of how theyre funded they only recieve a fraction of RTE's funding and yet they carry more public service television on an typical evening than RTE manage in an average week (even if one needs subtitles to follow it).

Ive said it before but Id take all the licence money off RTE and offer it to TG4 if they agreed to set up a second channel for English speakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

jimmynokia wrote: »
    all in good time. its very relevant.

Perhaps so. Little unfair to throw it out there though imo, if your intent is to remain coy regarding same for a protracted period.
    Unless a certain posters membership or otherwise of libertas is somehow at odds with their opinion as expressed on thread, what's the relevance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Well, this is certainly a novel argument that will bear much careful analysis and teasing out. We may need to divide up the work, as addressing it to the standard of rebuttal demanded here is probably beyond the powers of one mere man. How have we been so lucky as to come so far in life without having such cartesian logic levied against us? Education has certainly not been wasted on everyone in this land.
    In the interest of brevity, ':rolleyes:' would have sufficed. It also makes you look less smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

psychward wrote: »
    an old Latin phrase meaning use the dead cynically to further a censorship/biased agenda ? I've seen that happen before :)

Well if that was true I wouldn't be looking at who contributed to the thread. I would be looking at those who started it, perhaps. It wouldnt be the first time in boards history that someone had a biased agenda.

I dont work for RTE, nor UPC so I am neither an employee of the PSB or the rival network PAY operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Shock horror someone in the entertainment business used cocaine. Again it was irrelevant to the thread, but if people need to take cheap shots at the dead, then let them at it I suppose.

Hardly irrelevant...the poster who brought it up is facing jail for failure to pay a licence fee that goes toward the majority funding of a station that employed someone who partook in an illegal activity whilst he and and others at the station preached to the peons of the dangers and immorality of drug use.
    He's pretty pissed off at the hypocrisy and who can blame him?

Everything's relevant except to those who are not willing to see the connections between all these things...
    If we're going to get all latin then here's one for Ryan and RTÉ; ne quid nimis...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Well if that was true I wouldn't be looking at who contributed to the thread. I would be looking at those who started it, perhaps. It wouldnt be the first time in boards history that someone had a biased agenda.

I dont work for RTE, nor UPC so I am neither an employee of the PSB or the rival network PAY operator.

The main person who isn't upset about any of this is Gerry Ryan himself. Same with Brian Lenihan. Their problems are well and truly over. Yet their names are used often to shut up critical reasonable logical and fair judgement of how they behaved so that other people and society in general can learn and improve from it's mistakes. It's a typical strategy and you don't have to be the puppet master to become involved, you can be a passive puppet and have your strings pulled and propagate the notions of cover up [and hence a refusal to learn or teach the rest of society anything] without realizing what you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Wertz wrote: »
    Hardly irrelevant...the poster who brought it up is facing jail for failure to pay a licence fee that goes toward the majority funding of a station that employed someone who partook in an illegal activity whilst he and and others at the station preached to the peons of the dangers and immorality of drug use.
    He's pretty pissed off at the hypocrisy and who can blame him?

Everything's relevant except to those who are not willing to see the connections between all these things...
    If we're going to get all latin then here's one for Ryan and RTÉ; ne quid nimis...

You do not go to jail for not having a TV licence. You can go to jail for ignoring a court fine as is the case for ANY offence.

You cant use hypocrisy as an argument in court.

Drug use in society is not confined to journalists and broadcasters.

It is irrelevant. The TV licence did not fund Gerry Ryan's wages. 2fm survives on commercial income alone. At the time, Ryans show was pulling in 150k per week in advertising income and god knows what in sponsorship.
    mikom wrote: »
    Depends............ Is the keyboard warrior broadcasting to thousands each morning, saying one thing, then doing another, whilst getting well, well, paid for it.

That is a question that you can only answer yourself mikom. I suspect guidance could be found under John 8:7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I wouldn't mind paying a license fee if we were getting something decent in return. Instead we get Ballsy O'Connor & Tubridy interviewing their own RTE colleagues while we pay for to listen to them bleat on about the stuff they do which we're also paying for. It's a joke.

Also, Derek Mooney.. wtf

the problem is people bitch about all this crap on RTE but still usually watch it, obviously if viewer numbers are good RTE aren't gonna change anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Wages are to high simple gravy train is over

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Hugo, Hugo, Brady, Brown may not have won any friends in this thread and I've argued with him myself, but ffs folks, some of the comments and implied threats of 'outing' who he is are really off.

(Unless he is Kenny/Turbidy/Duffy/Finuncance in disguise.. in which case... do your worst! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

At the end of my novitiate on Boards and from my relatively brief acquaintance with the tone adopted at times in parts of this Forum, I am coming to the conclusion that people frequently give the appearance of revelling in castigating people, organisations, things, events, philosophies and so forth.

Yet, to take the example of RTE, they remain fully au courant with the comings-and-goings here, with the schedules, with the content of particular programmes and editions, with the running order, with the very timings of items, of musical interludes and so forth. It all sounds to me not unlike, heaven forfend, 'trolling', or 'cognitive dissonance', or 'attention seeking', in some cases at least. (I even suspect that some critical posters may in fact be industry insiders who have attitudes deriving from unfortunate experiences, or may even be insiders here, with similar lemon-faced attitudes for similar reasons.)

In common with the broad mass of the plain people of Ireland, though, we here, most or, perhaps, all of us, by consuming the service so voraciously, give every appearance to enjoying it thoroughly. Indeed, I am tending towards the view that there may even be people who actually enjoy complaining for its own sake, as an activity in its own right, corresponding to the pastime, hobby, avocation or occupation for a normal person. Grumpy Old Men & Women hardly get a look-in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

At the end of my novitiate on Boards and from my relatively brief acquaintance with the tone adopted at times in parts of this Forum, I am coming to the conclusion that people frequently give the appearance of revelling in castigating people, organisations, things, events, philosophies and so forth.

Yet, to take the example of RTE, they remain fully au courant with the comings-and-goings here, with the schedules, with the content of particular programmes and editions, with the running order, with the very timings of items, of musical interludes and so forth. It all sounds to me not unlike, heaven forfend, 'trolling', or 'cognitive dissonance', or 'attention seeking', in some cases at least. (I even suspect that some critical posters may in fact be industry insiders who have attitudes deriving from unfortunate experiences, or may even be insiders here, with similar lemon-faced attitudes for similar reasons.)

In common with the broad mass of the plain people of Ireland, though, we here, most or, perhaps, all of us, by consuming the service so voraciously, give every appearance to enjoying it thoroughly. Indeed, I am tending towards the view that there may even be people who actually enjoy complaining for its own sake, as an activity in its own right, corresponding to the pastime, hobby, avocation or occupation for a normal person. Grumpy Old Men & Women hardly get a look-in!
    Meh. It's AH, and people have a right to bitch about whatever they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

the problem is people bitch about all this crap on RTE but still usually watch it, obviously if viewer numbers are good RTE aren't gonna change anything

Millions of North Koreans listen to Radio Pyongyang but it doesn't make it good

Millions of North Koreans listen to Radio Pyongyang but it doesn't make it good

Though it might be to us, if we spoke Korean? (I hear the music programmes are captivating.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

That is a question that you can only answer yourself mikom. I suspect guidance could be found under John 8:7.

Tall bloke.

Though it might be to us, if we spoke Korean? (I hear the music programmes are captivating.)

You'll find that South Koreans don't bother tuning in. They have a choice unlike the citizens of the Republic who RTE disrespects and mugs whether they tune in or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I do not own a TV or listen to trite radio M'OC, JD,RT or so called talent like these say nothing to me.

Hugo sadly is just typical of the aloof and elitist RTE bandwagon and there is no need to debate them as they will dig the grave that will eventually bury them.

billybudd wrote: »
    I do not own a TV or listen to trite radio M'OC, JD,RT or so called talent like these say nothing to me.

Hugo sadly is just typical of the aloof and elitist RTE bandwagon and there is no need to debate them as they will dig the grave that will eventually bury them.

Interestingly reminiscent of the quote ascribed to Nikita Khrushchev "Мы вас похороним!" !

Where are they now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Interestingly reminiscent of the quote ascribed to Nikita Khrushchev "Мы вас похороним!" !

Where are they now?

Buried and irrelevant much like you, only you are not underground.

You'll find that South Koreans don't bother tuning in. They have a choice unlike the citizens of the Republic who RTE disrespects and mugs whether they tune in or not.

My own information is that, on the contrary, they do tune in, in large numbers, as do the Korean expatriate community living in Japan.

(I am not sure if this information is generally available to civilians.)

• Advertisement

My own information is that, on the contrary, they do tune in, in large numbers, as do the Korean expatriate community living in Japan.

Thanks for confirming what we knew all along but which you would never acknowledge before despite being repeatedly asked.
    It sounds like you get your information ( as well as your management and propaganda style) directly from Kim Jong Il.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Coming late to this thread , but why am I not surprised to see the bould Hugo on point yet again for the narccissistic incestuous bloated monstrosity that is RTE.

Their vanity and self importance has led to a waste of resources on a massive scale and at a cost of not being a true national broadcaster.

A few examples- why spend money on Grand Prix racing and premier League soccer when they are already available on BBC Sky or ITV ? We dont live in a vacuum or if they must , just buy the feed from those stations.

Vanity decisions such as this mean that Irish sport is given short shrift. I remember being at the World rowing Championships in Lucerne and on a glorious week-end we won 3 world titles and only one national broadcaster in all Europe did not show it- RTE . Only the genosity of the Irish Times who had a dedicated phone line and allowed RTE to interview Sam Lynch for the sports programme that evening. Same story with Seville the following year when he retained his title. Same story every year since- No RTE.

Similarly with Boxing, Schools Rugby,(Setanta now doing Leinster Schools) Handball , Inter-Varsity ( which is a pillar of sport in the USA and UK ) never a mention. When they do deign to cover those sports it is usually in some sort of magazine format complete with the neh neh music and is an insult to the competitors involved.

A final example, we all know the economic misery facing this country and in the recent election one of the biggest issues should have been the bloated public service and the massive salaries. In all the years why has there been no investigative ducumentaries on these issues. Why did'nt Miriam really lay into Cowan in that interview about the level of pay/pensions/perks he and his cronies had awarded themselves ?

Simple really , when you are on twice the salary of the leader of the country and are part of an organisation the is grossly over staffed it is a bit difficult to start throwing stones.

It is incaple of proper reform without incentive .Long past time to cut the funding to this black hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

HugoBradyBrown:

MOD NOTE:

I have it on good authority that you are NOT directly associated with RTÉ despite what you want people to believe.

Therefore do not post in this thread again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

marienbad wrote: »
    Coming late to this thread , but why am I not surprised to see the bould Hugo on point yet again for the narccissistic incestuous bloated monstrosity that is RTE.

Their vanity and self importance has led to a waste of resources on a massive scale and at a cost of not being a true national broadcaster.

A few examples- why spend money on Grand Prix racing and premier League soccer when they are already available on BBC Sky or ITV ? We dont live in a vacuum or if they must , just buy the feed from those stations.

Vanity decisions such as this mean that Irish sport is given short shrift. I remember being at the World rowing Championships in Lucerne and on a glorious week-end we won 3 world titles and only one national broadcaster in all Europe did not show it- RTE . Only the genosity of the Irish Times who had a dedicated phone line and allowed RTE to interview Sam Lynch for the sports programme that evening. Same story with Seville the following year when he retained his title. Same story every year since- No RTE.

Similarly with Boxing, Schools Rugby,(Setanta now doing Leinster Schools) Handball , Inter-Varsity ( which is a pillar of sport in the USA and UK ) never a mention. When they do deign to cover those sports it is usually in some sort of magazine format complete with the neh neh music and is an insult to the competitors involved.

A final example, we all know the economic misery facing this country and in the recent election one of the biggest issues should have been the bloated public service and the massive salaries. In all the years why has there been no investigative ducumentaries on these issues. Why did'nt Miriam really lay into Cowan in that interview about the level of pay/pensions/perks he and his cronies had awarded themselves ?

Simple really , when you are on twice the salary of the leader of the country and are part of an organisation the is grossly over staffed it is a bit difficult to start throwing stones.

It is incaple of proper reform without incentive .Long past time to cut the funding to this black hole.

Best post on the thread by far. My points entirely. RTE is - essentially a PBS in a tiny country with a tiny population. But they are living under an illusion that they are on a par with BBC/ITV/Sky.
    This has been fuelled and funded by successive Governments down through the years.

Umpteen bureaux throughout the world, endless *** correspondents (pencil in as required); paying above the odds for TV series and sporting events (RTE2 spent over FIFTY MILLION on Sports in 2008).

It defies both logic and belief. And the Montrose gravy train trundles on.

I wonder if other Public Service Broadcasters in Europe are allowed a dual (even triple) income?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Marty, in the view of large majority of his contented and steadily growing listenership, is a breath of fresh air for the nation, as he seduces us into facing the grey day, through his banter, his flights of fancy, his rapid-fire wit, his high intelligence and the musical interludes of the programme. There is nothing in the least like spamming about trying in subtly different ways to hold this rather limpid concept up to the light, in order for those who are thus far blind to it to perceive what the rest of us see. Consider the mails and texts that Marty reads out each morning from devoted fans and novice listeners, for an indication of how MITM meets PSB objectives on popularity grounds. (There are, of course, none so blind ....)

Incidentally, there is no comparison between Chris Moyles and Marty Whelan, and it is unfair to all readers to try to slip such an outlandish comparison into this thread, in my view.

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

I don't particularly like Marty Whelan but I happen to enjoy him on Lyric FM. If ever a position was tailormade for someone then this is it. It doesn't take from the fact that the TV Licence is an utter disgrace at €165. If there is to be a licence then it should only be whatever the amount is that goes into the central pool, then this should be kept and divided equally but the rest should be scrapped. I did read in a couple of posts that if it weren't for the TV licence there wouldn't be the RTE Guide and the philharmonic orchestra etc. amongst other things but just picking up on these two. The RTE guide is not free, it's being produced with the aid of the TV licence as alluded to in another post and then sold to the people who have paid the licence which helped product it along with all of the advertising space also. I'm sure this model applies to the orchestra also with regard to concerts, ie they're not free entry. The licence and all of it's trimmings is extraction of urine at best.

Hot Lips wrote: »
    HugoBradyBrown:

MOD NOTE:

I have it on good authority that you are NOT directly associated with RTÉ despite what you want people to believe.

*Falls off chair*

You do not go to jail for not having a TV licence. You can go to jail for ignoring a court fine as is the case for ANY offence.

You cant use hypocrisy as an argument in court.

Well aware of that thanks. The outcome remains the same. You go to court as a reult of failure to pay.

Few mitigating factors are considered, and hypocrisy or quality of broadcast output would certainly not come close to being relevant to any judge.

All the poor sod in court understands is that they won't/can't pay for licence and ends up with fine/jail, with no recourse over the inequality of the licence fee collection system and what the garnered funds are put toward...
    STB wrote:

It is irrelevant. The TV licence did not fund Gerry Ryan's wages. 2fm survives on commercial income alone. At the time, Ryans show was pulling in 150k per week in advertising income and god knows what in sponsorship.

It may not have directly funded Ryan's wages in the better days when we were all awash with money (although it did go towards all other overheads, infrastructures, production, yada)... but now that lsitenership has dropped, advertising revenue and general sponsorship has declined, don't try and tell me that 2FM's once net contribution to the wider broadcaster hasn't turned into another dependent on licence fee to pay wages of hosts...

Drug use among anyone else in society is probably at similar levels as those in broadcast or journalistic roles; but very few of them are opining and making a living on it's constant demonisation...running with the fox and hunting with the hounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

HugoBradyBrown:

MOD NOTE:

Also can he be told not to post in the other related threads here he is continuously using barrister speak and hitting us all with the 50 dictionary's he had for breakfast?

i have all the info on our friend hugo that also tells the same.
    there is a pm system for those who wish to use it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

The amount of utter sh1te that RTE has produced over the years is simply breathtaking and yet we keep funding them. The same old faces that have been on TV for years are still there. Surely now is the time to end it all. Attempts by the late G Ryan and his appalling Ryan confidential show and Duffys pure nonsense Spirit Level show are cases in point. Enough is surely enough. The age level in my home ranges from 12-44 years of age and I would say RTE is watched once a week at best. The constant stream of ads reminding us to pay them their licence fee are beginning to grate on me. We know how to fcuking pay bills we are not thick were broke. Pay for what ? the same shows are on Sky,BBC,ITV etc. Close down this redundant attempt at public broadcasting unless it can survive without advert revenue or the licence fee. The can't have it both ways. If I want to watch premiership football I will watch it on Sky, if I want to watch imported sh1te I will watch ITV, if I want to watch decent documentaries I watch C4 or BBC, if I want to be bored out of my skull watching ageing twits like Gaybo meets or Mike Murphy interviews I watch RTE same old sh1te different decade. I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

RTE is such a load of shíte. It's so bland. When I watch tv I watch channels on my Skybox which are free to view. Also, I watch mostly BBC3, TG4, Channel 4 and sometimes the other BBC channels. The only thing I really watch RTE for is sport, which they don't even have good coverage of.

TG4 has much better rugby coverage, I also like the fact it's all through Irish. RTE is really biased and seem to show one Connacht match a year but show plently of Leinster matches :rolleyes:

Also the lack of Irish on RTE is appalling seeing as they are paid by the government and are the national broadcaster.. BBC shows more programmes through Irish than RTE.

I'd much rather pay the BBC or any other channel a TV Licence instead of RTE..

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Marty, I find, appeals to people in the same way that coriander, foie gras and caviar do: until they try them, they believe they hate them; they try them and they find they cannot get enough. Do try; barely 11 hours away now, and the finest of PSB radio is available at no charge. The result, usually, is that the listener emerges into the exterior daylight with a smile on her or his face, and a spring in the step.

I imagine that one would emerge with a lot more than a spring in their step Hugo, especially given ones diet of foie gras,caviar with a hint of corriander. Marty is a nice enough guy make no mistake, however his boot licking attitude to hanging on in there while being moved around RTE like a smelly mop affords him no real credibilty. By the way Hugo, is not all daylight exterior or do you have some type of new fangled machine in RTE that can produce the sun on the interior. I should be careful if I were you direct sunlight on ones foie gras,caviar with corriander, may in fact spoil such a delightful feast and cause one horrendous diarrhoea. If left unchecked this may in fact eventually lead to verbal diarrhoea although I suspect you may already have become infected. Reality pills should help alleviate some of the symptoms however I would skip the caviar for a day or two.

id legi modo hic modo illic. vero, latine loqui non est difficilissimum

who is going to pay for this and where is the money coming from

http://t.co/TGAqc3Ke

/snip

Excuse my ignorance but what has joe.ie (hate the name btw and have seen the site once through a link on here) got to do with RTÉ?
    A commercial offshoot? This does go toward explaining why the site is referred to more than most on RTÉ's radio output...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

who is going to pay for this and where is the money coming from

http://t.co/TGAqc3Ke

You know, I really can't tell if you're a brilliant troll or just....well let's be nice and say severely ill informed.

You know, I really can't tell if you're a brilliant troll or just....well let's be nice and say severely ill informed.

wrong link dont know what happened there and btw my pc was bloody hacked yesterday all kindsa stuff going on

• Advertisement

wrong link dont know what happened there and btw my pc was bloody hacked yesterday all kindsa stuff going on

u got haxx0red by HBB lol

Wertz wrote: »
    u got haxx0red by HBB lol

you b*ll*x you took the words right out of my mouth:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Dont call me a troll read the next previous post, and i will get HBB atfer you lol!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

HugoBradyBrown:

MOD NOTE:

Put him off Mod! Put him off. He's just trolling us. :mad::mad::mad:

Also can he be told not to post in the other related threads here he is continuously using barrister speak and hitting us all with the 50 dictionary's he had for breakfast?

i have all the info on our friend hugo that also tells the same.
    there is a pm system for those who wish to use it...

Jimmy - will you PM me over the info on Mr Huge Brazen Brownnose? I will make good use from it!!!!! I'm going to go through boards and find all the threads he mucked up and get him put off!

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So eh, do you have the correct link then?

Thanks for confirming what we knew all along but which you would never acknowledge before despite being repeatedly asked.
    It sounds like you get your information ( as well as your management and propaganda style) directly from Kim Jong Il.

Ha Ha HA!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

You still seem unable to answer this question, yet you can answer all others.

Is your inability to answer an admission that you work for rte?

I am reminded of a certain interview given by a mr. Paxman .... I can ask it all day.

Psstttt..... I'm back here, on page 12.

This thread is like a good book that you can't put down. So much better than the telly :) it's enough reason to cease rte broadcasts altogether!

Has Hugo shat out the "how to talk proper what like they don't" book? You know, the one he swallowed on page 1.

I can't wait to catch up with you all on page whatever it is. See you soon :)

Psstttt..... I'm back here, on page 12.

This thread is like a good book that you can't put down. So much better than the telly :) it's enough reason to cease rte broadcasts altogether!

Has Hugo shat out the "how to talk proper what like they don't" book? You know, the one he swallowed on page 1.

I can't wait to catch up with you all on page whatever it is. See you soon :)

NO. That queer was put off here by the moderators! Its the only thread we have got him off so far but I'm going to stop him mucking upp all of boards now. ****ing poof. good mods though here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

TacaFail wrote: »
    NO. That queer was put off here by the moderators! Its the only thread we have got him off so far but I'm going to stop him mucking upp all of boards now. ****ing poof. good mods though here.

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Is this legitimate criticism or is it vulgar abuse, or worse?

I would warn of the need to avoid making in any publication reckless remarks about any person that could be construed as diminishing, or intended or calculated to diminish, the esteem in which that person is held.
    I believe that you are a troll.
    I have made this calculated remark in order to diminish your standing on this site.
    What are you going to do about it?

You are a nice person aren't you ?
    No.
    That "coke fiend" single handily funded 2fm's bills. So no that large advertising and sponsorship that Gerry Ryan commanded isnt lying around anymore. Like him or loathe him he had very high listenership figures. 2fm is self funded by advertising alone.
    There's no doubting that he had high listenership, but that doesn't excuse his hypocrisy.

TBH people are only hearing their own voices in here. Between the ignorance of individuals and the mob mentality of attacking one poster, the name calling of the dead (wake up mods), I would wonder why anyone would even attempt a debate here. I'll leave yis to high five each other.[/QUOTE]
    He was a ****ing coke addict. Are we supposed to forget about all that and pretend that he was God's gift to Ireland, all the while preaching about the evils of drugs?

**** that shít.
    He was an arrogant wanker who died because he chose to do a drug which turns you into an even greater arrogant wanker. RTÉ paid him a ridiculous amount of money, but he died broke because of his arrogance.

Millions of Euro in licence payer monies went towards funding his habit.
    No, I'm not saying that he spent millions on coke, but he definitely spent a fortune on paying people off so that his little secret would remain that way.

Then you have the ridiculous Irish libel laws which prevented his exposure as a coke fiend. That's another discussion for another day though.

In the first instance the quote is someone elses on this thread. Hypocritical cocaine users. Are they worse than keyboard warriors ?
    Shock horror someone in the entertainment business used cocaine.
    Again it was irrelevant to the thread, but if people need to take cheap shots at the dead, then let them at it I suppose.
    A person whose wages were paid by the tax payers of this country was a persistent law breaker. A person who was paid about half a million a year.
    Yeah, that ****er was far worse than keyboard warriors because he had (by your estimation) 150,000 listeners a week.

I called him a coke fiend. About 20 or 30 people will read that. Not really much of a comparison.
    Let's say that 150 read it. That's still only 0.1% of his listenership.
    I'm not interested in how many people read my posts though. I just like to call things as they are.

I was actually fined because I didn't show up in court. The reason for not showing up was because of my illness. Because I cannot afford a solicitor to argue my case ( the court appointed ones don't really argue your case), I will end up in jail.

At the end of the day, I will go to jail for not having a tv licence. Not because I didn't pay a fine, not because I didn't show up in court, not because I don't agree with the tv licence system (I actually do agree with it), but because I'm ill and cannot afford either a tv licence or a good solicitor.

You can argue semantics all day long, but I'm going to debtors prison in 2011 or 2012.

Of course not, but Gerry Ryan was someone who vilified drug use on a regular basis, while snorting coke.

Ryan's wages came partly from the tv licence. To argue otherwise is idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Hot Lips dunnit!

I am in shock. It's always the one you least suspect.

I enjoyed this book immensly :)

I notice HugoBradyBrown is now site banned.
    What came to light I wonder........

interesting that aint it....
    might get a letter in the door next with HBB and associates stamped with red ink lol!

the twitter account found also sums him up to perfection with the people he follows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement