Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and the Licence FEE

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

LiamN wrote: »

the slime bucket he sent me a private message under that name
    well he was told the truth

so that means he will be back on the 16th of december thats not banned,do we have to put up with him again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Should RTE get a license fee to promote its own agenda and pay high wages to a few people in the organisation using license fee payers money?

Not a chance in hell! I don't see what the logical reason is for me requiring a TV license TBH. I paid for the TV and I'm quite happy to not have RTE broadcast anything TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Yeah ,sick of paying for that sh1te when I dont even watch it.

the move to saor view is just another scam so they can give us extra rte channels and up the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Best post on the thread by far. My points entirely. RTE is - essentially a PBS in a tiny country with a tiny population. But they are living under an illusion that they are on a par with BBC/ITV/Sky.
    This has been fuelled and funded by successive Governments down through the years.

Well regardless of what you think Freddie the Irish viewing habits put Irish channels on a higher footing than BBC/ITV/Sky. Thankfully people haven't become total slaves to foreign channels. We seem to like a good balance of both.

Irish viewing of ALL TV Channels in 2010 across ALL platforms (AGB Nielsen).
    161858.jpg

See that ?Its the top 10 stations watched in Ireland across ALL platforms. As an aside I would mention that 9 out of the 10 of them are actually free to air, though some people choose to pay UPC and Sky to view same. A mystery akin to the tale of the Marie Celeste, Freddie eh ? You might remember that you weren't happy with the 2009 figures which were quite similar, for whatever reasons you have.)
    Umpteen bureaux throughout the world, endless *** correspondents (pencil in as required); paying above the odds for TV series and sporting events (RTE2 spent over FIFTY MILLION on Sports in 2008).

The public service remit of RTE is well laid out in Section 114 of the Broadcasting Act 2009. There are sports that are protected by legislation and must be available FTA. I for one love sports, especially those that involve Irish or local representation. I am not alone. A lot of people agree with me judging by the audience figures for sport. I am sure these audience figures didn't escape the advertisers attention either.
    I wonder if other Public Service Broadcasters in Europe are allowed a dual (even triple) income?

Dual funding is recognised as a legitamite mechanism for funding public service broadcasters within Europe by the EU. So the answer is yes to your question. Whilst some other EU PSBs are still "state controlled" and are "state funded" alone, that is not a necessarily a good thing! Editorial independence does come at a price.

Curbing PSB and allowing lowest common denominator type broadcasting serves only one interest and they are purely those of commercial operators. Out of curiosity I have a genuine question for you based on your previous posts relating to public service broadcasting and in particular RTE. Do you or did you work for a commercial network operator ?

Public Service Broadcasting is essential to ensuring that the democratic, cultural, and social aspects of any country are well catered for. Some of the comments on this thread are really off the wall. I don't think anyone would like to see a situation whereby one single person or state organisation had control of media plurality in this country. Its already scary that one person currently has very high ownership levels in commercial media in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I'm reading HughBradyBrowns posts in brother mouzones voice.

What's next bow tie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mdoyler2

It’s a typical semi-state agencies;

The ESB in 2008 at the high of financial collapse gave its staff pay increases, claiming they were entitled them, as the ESB was a profitable organisation! Of course they are profitable they are a monopoly.

RTE like every other semi-state body should be paying dividends to state, and not be funded by it.

Two options;
    • Higher someone that will make RTE self-sufficient and profitable on advertising revenue; or,
    • Privatise it;
    But in no way should taxpayers have to pay for it. Particularly, when they are wasting taxpayers money on bloated salaries for the likes of Kenny, Duffy and Tubridy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

STB wrote: »
    Well regardless of what you think Freddie the Irish viewing habits put Irish channels on a higher footing than BBC/ITV/Sky. Thankfully people haven't become total slaves to foreign channels. We seem to like a good balance of both.

Not really the issue being discussed though, is it?

See that ?Its the top 10 stations watched in Ireland across ALL platforms. As an aside I would mention that 9 out of the 10 of them are actually free to air, though some people choose to pay UPC and Sky to view same. A mystery akin to the tale of the Marie Celeste, Freddie eh ? You might remember that you weren't happy with the 2009 figures which were quite similar, for whatever reasons you have.)

RTEs places in those listings are, again, skewed, by the purchasing of programming which they shouldn't be able to afford in the first instance. A distortion of the market if ever there was one.
    The public service remit of RTE is well laid out in Section 114 of the Broadcasting Act 2009. There are sports that are protected by legislation and must be available FTA. I for one love sports, especially those that involve Irish or local representation. I am not alone. A lot of people agree with me judging by the audience figures for sport. I am sure these audience figures didn't escape the advertisers attention either.

And - AGAIN - RTE have funding which they shouldn't have in the first instance which enables them to buy this programming!!
    Dual funding is recognised as a legitamite mechanism for funding public service broadcasters within Europe by the EU. So the answer is yes to your question. Whilst some other EU PSBs are still "state controlled" and are "state funded" alone, that is not a necessarily a good thing! Editorial independence does come at a price.

Does that price include million Euro salaries - paid for by me and thousands more? I take it you actually agree with this craziness, which allows - essentially - a DJ to be paid three times more than the Taoiseach and FOUR times more than the president of America? So you agree with one being State funded - and also allowed advertising? As pointed out earlier, Miriam didn't ask the hard questions in the Cowen interview. Seeing as she earns twice what he did it would be very hard to do so. There goes your "editorial independence".:rolleyes:
    Curbing PSB and allowing lowest common denominator type broadcasting serves only one interest and they are purely those of commercial operators. Out of curiosity I have a genuine question for you based on your previous posts relating to public service broadcasting and in particular RTE. Do you or did you work for a commercial network operator ?

Ah, I was wondering how long it would take you. No I do not. I actually hate TV3 believe it or not. But there is gross unfairness and, I believe, discrimination in the way rte are favoured. Do you work for RTE or an offshoot?
    Public Service Broadcasting is essential to ensuring that the democratic, cultural, and social aspects of any country are well catered for. Some of the comments on this thread are really off the wall. I don't think anyone would like to see a situation whereby one single person or state organisation had control of media plurality in this country. Its already scary that one person currently has very high ownership levels in commercial media in Ireland.

Look at the result of the poll. 84% believe RTE should be pared down and stripped of this dual income. You are in the minority STB - and it is incredible to think that ANYONE can defend the anti-competitive, unjust advantage given to RTE by this, and other, Governments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It is massively inflated, not for purpose and should be stripped down to the essentials of which there are few.
    Oh, to see Sharon Ní B. stripped down to her essentials...

Advertisement