Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 4s battery life and IOS 5.0.1 upgrade

• 12-11-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

I installed the new release. But the battery life is really bad on the new iphone.

I happen to be carrying an iphone3gs and 4gs. The 3gs is exactly 2 years old and to be honest the battery life for both models is about the same, 4gs not much better.

see reports on it on the web

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57323047-37/ios-5.0.1-didnt-
    fix-battery-drain-bug-say-some-users/

I love the new phone, its a lot faster... But come on apple you could have designed it 5 to 10 mm thicker to get a better battery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

alex73 wrote: »
    I installed the new release. But the battery life is really bad on the new iphone.

I happen to be carrying an iphone3gs and 4gs. The 3gs is exactly 2 years old and to be honest the battery life for both models is about the same, 4gs not much better.

see reports on it on the web

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57323047-37/ios-5.0.1-didnt-
    fix-battery-drain-bug-say-some-users/

I love the new phone, its a lot faster... But come on apple you could have designed it 5 to 10 mm thicker to get a better battery.

I don't find it any worse then the 4. What I do find slow is Siri which is off topic I know but it's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I don't find it any worse then the 4. What I do find slow is Siri which is off topic I know but it's a joke.

didn't get the 4, went from 3gs to 4gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

5 to 10mm thicker would make a big difference to the form factor of the phone. You're talking there about pretty much doubling its thickness. Apple likes form as well as function, and in a world where being able to make claims like "worlds thinnest smartphone" are paramount, there's no way apple would add to the thickness to improve the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

5 to 10mm thicker would make a big difference to the form factor of the phone. You're talking there about pretty much doubling its thickness. Apple likes form as well as function, and in a world where being able to make claims like "worlds thinnest smartphone" are paramount, there's no way apple would add to the thickness to improve the battery.

Well, Apple has a big problem. Kids and me were using Siri for 10mins and it took 5% of the battery life.

Its all very well to have a thin phone which is really nice.. Love all the specs ... except the battery life :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My new 4S had much better battery life as I posted side by side screen shots of the new and old 4S before I returned the old one in a separate thread.

After the 5.01 update the 4S battery life is even better:

img001640x960.jpg

• Advertisement

Personally I find the battery on the 4 to be better than that of the 3GS that I had up until about a year ago. I can get the best part of 48 hours on a single charge on the 4, whereas I was pushing it to get 30 hours on the 3GS. The fact that the 4 is slimmer and has a better battery than the 3GS maybe shows that physical size is not that important for battery, and it's the technology and materials used in it that makes it better.

Having seen how other smartphones work out in terms of battery, the ip4 is not bad at all in comparison, and I think making it bulkier would be a retro step.

I remember a time when 4/5 days between charges was normal, but looking back, those phones were pretty "dumb" compared to what the iPhone can do. Poorer battery is the price for higher tech.

Having said that, your experience of loosing 5% in 10 mins does sound particularly bad. Were you using siri on 3G or over wifi? 3G tends to be harder on a battery than wifi.

I've found in the past that on some full charges I get less time than on some other charges, so the battery definitely doesn't seem consistent. Once or twice when I was on the point of complaining to apple about it, the battery would start performing really well. No idea why it isn't consistent, but overall in happy with it compared to the 3GS and most other smartphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm using a 4 and haven't noticed much of a difference since the update. Mind you it's only been a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

mad muffin wrote: »
    My new 4S had much better battery life as I posted side by side screen shots of the new and old 4S before I returned the old one in a separate thread.

img001640x960.jpg

whats your main usage ?? internet music ??? have you push and icloud turned on ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

img001640x960.jpg

If you plug it in here and there for an hour or so, does that reset this counter, or does it require a charge to 100%? Just find the term "Time since last full charge" a tad confusing.

If you plug it in here and there, the timers for usage and standby don't reset themselves. So you could end up with weeks and weeks on the stats for stand by time. They only go back to zero after a full charge back up to 100% full. It doesn't have to be a full charge (ie. the battery doesn't have to be flat first) but every time it gets topped right up to 100% full the timers reset.

• Advertisement

speeding wrote: »
    whats your main usage ?? internet music ??? have you push and icloud turned on ? Thanks

It was a mix of Internet, games and apps checking weather and using Siri, checking email, texting and a few minutes of phone calls and D/L updates for 4 apps.

I have push off for everything, wifi on all the time and Bluetooth off. wifi syncing off and iCloud off. Auto time zone off and location services on except for system services.

In notification I have weather, messages, phone, calander, mail and Skype. Auto brightness on and set to around 65%.
    Inquitus wrote: »
    If you plug it in here and there for an hour or so, does that reset this counter, or does it require a charge to 100%? Just find the term "Time since last full charge" a tad confusing.

If you plug it in here and there it says iPhone plug in since last charge, or words to that effect, under usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Im also very very dissapointed with my 4s.
    I still have my old iphone 4 and the battery life is much better. I use my phone quite a lot during the day and charge them every night, but now my 4s doesnt even last all day.
    My iphone 4 would never really go bellow 20% during the day, thats with my usage( mixed calls and internet) while 4s just cant last all day for me and now i needed to carry the charger with me. Also no improvment with 5.0.1 update:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have been using my new iPhone 4S for the last few days and am also very disappointed with the battery life. I had an iPhone 4 before it which lasted much longer. Being a very light user I used to get about 40 hours with the 4 whereas its looking like about 24-30 hours max on the 4S. Hopefully a new patch will fix this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have had the 4S since it was released and I must say I haven't noticed anything majorly different from the 3GS. Apparently the battery life is supposed to be marginly worse anyway.

I don't think the new IOS Update installed this morning will make much of a difference to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Are the update servers down or is it just me? I keep getting an error saying the iphone update servers are down...

I have a 4s (5.01) and went to bed last night with 53% battery and when I woke up this morning the battery was dead. This is not the first time, any suggestions as to where the leakage could be ?

Hmmm…

OK, so after 5.01 I saw improved battery life but now it's just draining sitting there untouched and I haven't changed anything since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Hmmm…

OK, so after 5.01 I saw improved battery life but now it's just draining sitting there untouched and I haven't changed anything since.
    I tried cycling the battery a few times, run it down completely and then charge it to full.
    I think i did help a bit ,atleast i have another 20-30% left in the evening, but the self discharge thing is still there. if the phone is left untouched, it drains the battery

In the last 15 mins arseing round on boards I have lost 8%.

Would this be considered normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm having problems too. It seems to jump down in percentage in big chunks without using it that much. I certainly wouldn't be leaving the house without the car charger for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The battery life on my 3GS seems noticeably worse since the 5.0.1 update. Apple are apparently still investigating these issues though so another battery related update may be forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

ive the same Battery drainage problem since upgrading to 5.0.1

a quick google tells me this is a common problem/bug with OS 5.0.1 on some iphones
    A fix will be on the next Os update (5.0.2) which shouldbbe soon

Heres hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I've noticed for the past few mornings after the phone was charging all night that the battery percentage doesn't reach 100%. The most it charges to is 98%. Anybody else experiencing this?

I had set up my phone as new the other day. Took it off charge five hours ago after the phone was on charge all night.

Usage is 1:32hrs and battery is already at 75% and that's only with a bit if web, email and a 10 min phone call.

Not good. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Hmmm…

Same thing happened to me. I've noticed in the last week or so that its going down at a crazy rate where it was fine for a few weeks after i stuck 5.0.1 on it. Very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

cee_jay wrote: »
    I've noticed for the past few mornings after the phone was charging all night that the battery percentage doesn't reach 100%. The most it charges to is 98%. Anybody else experiencing this?

I notice this sometimes when I leave the wifi switched on. Now I always switch it off before charging every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Haven't seen an update on battery life since this. I've had a 4s for a week now and the battery life is almost half that of my old iphone 4. I'm using the same settings as the 4 i.e. no location services, brightness 50%, push email and notifications. Siri is the only additional service but I don't really use it. I'm restoring as new phone now to see if that helps.

Have you 4s users found any improvement in battery life recently or are we all waiting for next software update..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

i got my iPhone replaced by apple last week in Glasgow,and the battery seems to be much better,it also doesnt over heat when charging and the calls dont drop anymore :)

Advertisement