Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pharmacy in ucc or tcd??

Options
  • 12-11-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

next year i want to do pharmacy but i dont know which college to go to?? :confused:...cork or dublin??
    so i was wondering if anyone could help me out maybe?? maybe tell me the pro's and cons of each college...any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

as a pharmacist my advise is to do medicine!
    pharmacy is on a downward spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Don't do med, that's even worse!

The courses go like this: RCSI>UCC>>>>>TCD

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SpiderP

bleg wrote: »

HA!

You won't get an honest, non-biased answer in here I'm afraid. Anyone who has any substance to say about any of the courses will invariably have gone to one of the aforementioned universities and therefore will tell you that their one is the best!

My advice - go to the open days, suss out the cities, the facilities, the campuses, the social life (societies, sports, night life - whatever floats your boat) and think long and hard where you'd think you'd like to spend the next 4 yrs (potentially 5 if you do your intern year in the same city). The bottom line is that all the courses are the same in content (they have to be to be in accordance with EU directives) and must be of a minimum standard set down by the pharmaceutical society to maintain their accreditation to provide the qualification! Your job opportunities at the end of the degree will be the same no matter where you obtain your degree in Ireland. If you're dead set on studying pharmacy, be open minded about where you do it and don't write off studying in the UK. Generations of Irish pharmacists have qualified abroad and there are some fantastic Schools of Pharmacy in the UK, with fantastic job opportunities there also.

Best of luck.

And for what it's worth, go to Trinity....:P

Is it still the case that there is significant material covered in the TCD course that is not covered in other colleges? It was the case when I left 5 years ago, and as a result TCD pharm grads were preferred over others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Is it still the case that there is significant material covered in the TCD course that is not covered in other colleges? It was the case when I left 5 years ago, and as a result TCD pharm grads were preferred over others.

Ya. They still do far more plant science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I'd agree that's what i've heard that Trinity students will have a slight reputation that will stand to you when looking for employment, but look into studying in the UK get off this sinking ship as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kdowling wrote: »
    as a pharmacist my advise is to do medicine!
    pharmacy is on a downward spiral
    bleg wrote: »
    Don't do med, that's even worse!

Left pharmacy to do medicine myself. The difference is absolutely huge. I prefer it so much more it's hard to put it into words.

Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

gpf101 wrote: »
    Left pharmacy to do medicine myself. The difference is absolutely huge. I prefer it so much more it's hard to put it into words.

Just my opinion.

Post graduating or during the actual college course??

Advertisement