Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron will not work

Options
  • 12-11-2011 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

This morning my iron would not heat. I took out the fuse and tried again in case the fuse was blown. It is the one where you have to open the plug to get out the fuse - a 13 amp busmann fuse. It still would not work. Should it work without fuse if fuse was blown?

Do i need a new iron?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

IF the fuse was blown you need to replace it, not just remove it. (you need one of the same rating)

Most common repairable fault I've seen with irons is a broken conductor in the flex.

If you are capable of rewiring a plug top, you could try removing a few inches of the flex and putting the plug on again.

It's often difficult to reterminate the the flex at the iron end as a lot of manufacturers use special screws etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

IF the fuse was blown you need to replace it, not just remove it. (you need one of the same rating)

Most common repairable fault I've seen with irons is a broken conductor in the flex.

If you are capable of rewiring a plug top, you could try removing a few inches of the flex and putting the plug on again.

It's often difficult to reterminate the the flex at the iron end as a lot of manufacturers use special screws etc.
    Thanks i replaced the fuse and it still does not work same rating fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Most common repairable fault I've seen with irons is a broken conductor in the flex..

agree here

meercat wrote: »
    agree here
    how would you know?

ANSI wrote: »
    how would you know?

if i have to repair an iron
    if its not a loose connection
    its generally a break in the lead somewhere(neutral oddly enough);)

• Advertisement

;)well i bought a new one but am curious

Volpelierre-Pierrot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its only usually the neutral the same way as the toast landing butter side down:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Good posibility its the flex like others said. Usually at the iron end. Again as always, simple for the experienced to find.

Is the stat clicking when you turn the temperature dial right down to minimum and back up?

Also, are you definitely replacing the fuse with a known good fuse?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Good posibility its the flex like others said. Usually at the iron end. Again as always, simple for the experienced to find.
    I see
    Is the stat clicking when you turn the temperature dial right down to minimum and back up?
    no sound at all
    Also, are you definitely replacing the fuse with a known good fuse?
    yes bought new fuses

• Advertisement
Advertisement