Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slugglish mouse response times in Skyrim

• 12-11-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

This is my first PC title so I'm not entirely familiar with hardware and jargon etc. (I'm playing on a laptop)

Basically, the responsiveness of my mouse is incredibly sluggish and delayed. It's making the game unplayable. I have to drag my mouse about a foot either direction just to get a response on the screen.

I did some googling and tweaked a few things and the responsiveness has improved but the game is still unplayabe. Generally, when I move my mouse, there's a delay of about a second before anything happens on screen, then it just jumps.

I've tried using my 360 controller but it's not any better. It feels like I'm playing on a cinema screen and there's major input delay. It almost feels like an FPS issue but I'm not sure.

Here's 2 screenshots of my specs and settings:
    http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/padraig-curran/specs1.jpg
    http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/padraig-curran/specs2.jpg

I'm playing with all the settings on low.

My mouse. It's wired.

Anyone know what the cause of my problem might be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Am I right in thinking this is a laptop with integrated graphics and not a seperate graphics card? If so, I'd say that's the problem and it is an FPS issue - I'm far from being expert on the matter but the rest of your specs look solid enough. Intel integrated graphics are notoriously not up to the job for gaming. What graphics settings are you using for Skyrim? (low, medium, ultra etc)
    You could always install the free copy of a program called fraps. Run fraps then run the game and it should show you an fps counter in the the top corner of the screen. See what kinda fps you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

The graphics card is integrated and it looks like you're right.

I'm hitting around 9-13 FPS with every single setting on low/off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Hate to say it, but I'd say that's it. From what you posted the rest of your specs are more than enough for Skyrim.
    Not a lot you can do, tis the curse of gaming on laptops :( I don't miss the months I spent playing Minecraft and being delighted to get 10-15fps

You might be able to boost your fps by shutting off all unnecessary background programs & services (maybe using a boosting program, but there's mixed views on if they're any good or not) and completely turning off all Antialiasing/Anisotropic filtering settings. It'll look like ass but it might play. I'd honestly doubt it though, and anything less than 30fps just isn't worth playing a game like that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'll just have to pick it up on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Not sure if it's the same problem but I had to turn the sensitivity of the mouse up to max. You can do this in the options screen.

Was almost impossible to play at default setting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Rinimee

I had the same problem as doncarlos and was beginning to get really annoyed banging the mouse around the desk, but turning up the mouse sensitivity in the game settings worked for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I would try the mouse sensitivity first too see if it helps at all

But like the others I would think it's a graphics problem, integrated just isn't up to modern games.
    Shutting off all running processes, even windows explorer(explorer.exe) might give a little boost, but xbox might be your best option.

Oblivion just about ran on my Pentium 4 processor, everything at lowest and running at a resolution of something like 600x400. The game looked horrible, it was a ugly gray mess.

Actually that's one thing you might have missed, turn your resolution down if you haven't.
    Going down in resolution should make the game playable if your getting 15 fps on highest resolution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tried tweaking the ini file? vsync off?

Advertisement