Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Welsh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

wtgorilla wrote: »
    Always better to cite all, that way you are never wrong.

Niagra Falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Personailty wise, the closest nation to us ie. friendly

Amazing accent

Great Singers

Best band ever from there: Manic street preachers

Rugby Rugby Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭wtgorilla

Yahew wrote: »
    Your answers to questions don't make any sense. We are none the wiser to understanding where you are from, are you Welsh, what is your beef with the Welsh, what exactly does saying "Cardiff University" mean and I don't think we will ever know, or really care anymore.

Hmmm, but we could play that game I suppose....

*strokes chin*

Should have dealt with this in a brutal manner. I know, much simpler. Povided one answer to many questions. Wait a blooming minute, I am going to delete the post where I said the Irish are intelligent.

saa wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be "never wrong". :pac:

It's so wrong to ask oh isn't it so terrible Joe, it's a disgrace.

Care to elaborate. I guess when you are asked a question some would ask the reason for asking, while others would answer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love the Welsh.

Now the Scots, I despise the Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Captain Limerick

I once knew a girl from Wales
    She was fond of drinkin' a few ales,
    One weekend she came over here,
    And we went out on the beer,
    And she was very popular with the males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Care to elaborate.

The irony here is quite strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Care to elaborate.
    Same to you.
    I guess when you are asked a question some would ask the reason for asking, while others would answer it.
    The people that ask are the ones that like if a thread has a point. If you had an opinion yourself, it's something to either agree on, disagree on, or have something to add for the other posters.

I can't see the incentive for answering your question, and even more so when you've actually been quite rude to anyone who inquired as to why. It would be quite useful I'd imagine to the mods, because when threads are opened about a nationality, it would be easier for them to decipher as to whether you have a good topic for discussion, or if it is a troll post meant to stir shit. It was for this reason I checked for any indication that you were, or were not Irish.

Would it have really been that much trouble just to give a reason why you're asking?

• Advertisement

Abi wrote: »
    Same to you.

The people that ask are the ones that like if a thread has a point. If you had an opinion yourself, it's something to either agree on, disagree on, or have something to add for the other posters.

I can't see the incentive for answering your question, and even more so when you've actually been quite rude to anyone who inquired as to why. It would be quite useful I'd imagine to the mods, because when threads are opened about a nationality, it would be easier for them to decipher as to whether you have a good topic for discussion, or if it is a troll post meant to stir shit. It was for this reason I checked for any indication that you were, or were not Irish.

Would it have really been that much trouble just to give a reason why you're asking?

I was told that Cardiff university has got a good chemistry department. What do you think about the Welsh is a perfectly rational question, what else would you want me to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They sound funny, like rugby and Cardiff is a great city with the best sports stadium I've ever had the pleasure to visit.

I was told that Cardiff university has got a good chemistry department. What do you think about the Welsh is a perfectly rational question, what else would you want me to say.
    Exactly that. That didn't hurt now, did it? ;)

Exactly that. That didn't hurt now, did it? ;)
    Considering I said it already, yes very much so.

Considering I said it already, yes very much so.
    After being asked a few times. It would have been much easier to just say so in the OP.

They sound funny, like rugby and Cardiff is a great city with the best sports stadium I've ever had the pleasure to visit.

This is what I tried to avoid, go there and it is a different proposition. Know the people, know the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

They're like the Scots but without having to be a bitter bunch of bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Has anybody every had the pleasure of seeing Port Talbot? Its like some kind of Soviet Stalinist nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I heard that they have a third ear between their shoulders...

After being asked a few times. It would have been much easier to just say so in the OP.
    Righto. But look at what happened above. Just the answer you expect to receive.

It was done about liverpool, and we all know otheerwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

It was done about liverpool, and we all know otheerwise

What? Have you been on the sauce or is English not your first language? This thread is begining to read like one of those nigerian spam emails. :rolleyes:

This is what I tried to avoid, go there and it is a different proposition. Know the people, know the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I have the inside scoop as I know a fair few through a friend's marriage to a Welsh man.

Welsh people are mostly sound but Wales is a strange place. I didn't expect it to be such a culture shock of a place when I went there. But it is really really different to Ireland. It feels a lot more insular than Ireland in many ways, the men are much more old-fashioned. I went out a Welsh guy for a wee while and he broke it off because he thought I was too smart for him. :confused: I dunno, it's a strange place. Gorgeous scenery though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I went out a Welsh guy for a wee while and he broke it off because he thought I was too smart for him.

Translation: didn't fancy you any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

They have no bottle when it comes to fighting the English..

To be honest I consider the Welsh as Mountain English..

stovelid wrote: »
    Translation: didn't fancy you any more.

Oh snap, girlfriend!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Well OP, whatever they are, they're probably not as strange as you...

When I think of Wales I think of great singers, rugby, the distinct accent and a mad but very cool language.

Caraville wrote: »
    ... and a mad but very cool language.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7970/funnypictureskitteninve.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Do they still burn down Welsh holiday cottages owned by English tourists, or have they given up now they've got their own bit of a parliament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Do they still burn down Welsh holiday cottages owned by English tourists, or have they given up now they've got their own bit of a parliament?
    My English friend (from Liverpool ) is married to a Manx man and they live with their two children in a cottage up in Betws-y-Coed ,Wales for 10 years now and love it . With her scouse accent and his Isle of mann brogue it's going to be funny and interesting to see how their childrens accent develops .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Latchy wrote: »
    My English friend (from Liverpool ) is married to a Manx man and they live with their two children in a cottage up in Betws-y-Coed ,Wales for 10 years now and love it . With her scouse accent and his Isle of mann brogue it's going to be funny and interesting to see how their childrens accent develops .

They'll need interepreters soon.:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Great bunch of people, well at least the ones I've met. I also recently finished an essay on the Welsh arts council to look at how they handle Welsh and English. They're doing a lot better than the Irish arts council and their treatment of Irish.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They'll need interepreters soon.:eek:
    One lad is 5 year old , the other 7 and their accents sound like a weird version of ''ye olde English '' .

I've traveled around Wales a bit and have holidayed there ,mostly North Wales and the local tourisim has always had a boom with English caravan owners which brings much needed boost to the economy there and has done for many decades now .

Latchy wrote: »

My friend has a very odd Irish-Welsh hybrid accent now from living in Wales for the past six years. :D She's just had a baby, it will be interesting to see what his accent will be like. :)

BTW, what is the Manx accent like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Just a simple question. What do you think about the Welsh? Surely you have got an opinion on them.
    The Irish who couldn't swim.

My friend has a very odd Irish-Welsh hybrid accent now from living in Wales for the past six years. :D She's just had a baby, it will be interesting to see what his accent will be like. :)

BTW, what is the Manx accent like?
    Aye :)

The Manx accent is a strange one and similar in some ways to the Welsh accent .It can be plesant on the ears from some Manx women but can be a bit flat and harshly spoken at times by the men folk when they don't pronounce their A's B's and T's and they will use slang words like ''Yesser '' = Yes, I'm fine (and reminds one a bit of the Welsh '' Yachi Da = Good Health ) .My Manx friends accent is quite harsh at times and sounds very like rural /midlands Ireland

They will also tell you on the island that there are very few original old Anglo-Manx, accents around now but to describe the actual sound of the accent is difficult so a look around you tube might bring up something with the Manx accent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

University of Oakland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Do you heear about Daaaavyd, he's the only gaay in the villaaage.

@ Miss Olanska .This gives you some idea of Manx Galelic accent with some bits of their local English added here and there .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

they have some beautiful places to visit if ignore the deprived areas and areas that have unfortunately been left to rot like rhyl,am more of a fan of wales than england as theres a lot more rural places left.

Rhyl is just a ghost town now but there are still loads of lovely rural places to see and vist and some parts of South Wales are stunning .

Scruffles wrote: »
    they have some beautiful places to visit if ignore the deprived areas and areas that have unfortunately been left to rot like rhyl,am more of a fan of wales than england as theres a lot more rural places left.

Yes, some areas of the Valleys are very noticeably deprived and depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Welsh people are an Urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

The sexiest man to have ever graced this planet of ours with his existance is Welsh

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thiskindofmusic/5499507916/

The Welsh language is beautiful.

One of my best friend's husband is from there and he's a sound nutcase.

My favourite band of all time hail from there (Gorky's Zygotic Mynci).

I admire how they saved a dying language to the point where 40% of the population speak it as their first language.

Angelsey is the most intriguing place I've ever been to.

Cardiff is a grand city.

People are friendly...a woman complimented my eyebrows once so now I generalise about the whole population and call them all nice.

Ridiculously sexy accent. Blows the Scottish accent out of the water...

Indeed the Welsh music scene has been amazing over the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

What? Have you been on the sauce or is English not your first language? This thread is begining to read like one of those nigerian spam emails. :rolleyes:

English is actually my 10th language, I was born in Ireland in December 1993. Nigeria. Won’t say too much.

The Irish who couldn't swim.

Oye. Why not. Inform that an imaginary bridge is linking UK and Ireland. The coastguard and lifeguard would get truly fed up rescuing the many that actually believe there is one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think it's my favourite of all the English speaking accents. It's a shame there are no Welsh women, you only ever meet men. No one in history has ever met a woman from Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

cardiff is one of the best places I've been to go on the lash - maddness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Miss_yap_yap

I was in Cardiff last month. Im 5'4 an the guys were around my height so I think they are short but very good looking :) very friendly too

• Advertisement
Advertisement