Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Welsh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I've been living in Cardiff (going to Uni of Glamorgan) for a few months now, right beside the city centre, and love it so far. Although I live with an Indian guy, an English guy, Nigerian girl and Korean guy, and my friends in College are mostly English, and a Greek and a Norn Irish, so my daily interactions aren't generally with Welsh people.
    All the Welsh people I have met were lovely though, and ever so slightly mental.

OP feel free to ask if you wanna know any more about the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I think it's my favourite of all the English speaking accents. It's a shame there are no Welsh women, you only ever meet men. No one in history has ever met a woman from Wales.
    Catherine Zeta Jones lied to me ...she never turned up on the date :(

Welsh B...Witch :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have welsh cousins in midglamorgan, went over once for a funeral, I loved it over there and it ended up being the best ''holiday'' I ever had. They are lovely people, great sense of humour and generally good for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I recall this from somewhere......

The British Isles are composed of four races of man

. . . the Scottish, who keep the sabbath--and everything else they can get their hands on.

. . . the Welsh, who pray on their knees--and on their neighbours.

. . . the Irish, who don't know what they want, but are willing to fight for it anyway.

. . . and the English, who consider themselves a race of self-made men, thereby relieving the almighty of a terrible burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

housetypeb wrote: »
    The British Isles are composed of four races of man

the Scottish , the Welsh ,the irish and the English
    Not fogetting the Manx who will not only have a bit of all the above races in them but a bit of every other race in europe and byond = They have being fcuked by just about everybody over the centuries .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I call them Walshes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Steeveep

They attract enemy radar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Predictable that some transfer their dislike of t,he English to the Wales / England / Britain story, ignorant fools ... Wasn't the question.

What is the point if this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

wtgorilla wrote: »
    Just a simple question. What do you think about the Welsh? Surely you have got an opinion on them.
    Not really. And don't call me Shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I have Welsh ancestry, so I like the Welsh, but maybe I'm a bit biased! ;)

I was brought up in a North Wales seaside resort where there were children and old people and not much in between. My teachers were ageing hippies and we all sang Bob Dylan songs at school assembly! My family then moved to Ireland where there were hymns at school assembly, which I found most peculiar! :D

The Welsh had an interesting way of acquiring land via the old Welsh law of ty unos - a house of a single night. If you could build four walls and have smoke coming out of the chimney between sunset and sunrise, you got the freehold of the land. My 4x Great Grandparents acquired their plot of land this way! :D

Welsh 'terrorists' were known as the Taffia, don't hear much about them now!

The Welsh manage to keep the English out until the 1280s! ;)

Oh, and I can say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

One of my fav comedians is Welsh............the brilliant Max Boyce
    i love the Welsh accent too

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

The Welshs.

Only know Pat & Tom. Think they have cure for the shingles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Just a simple question. What do you think about the Welsh? Surely you have got an opinion on them.
    Theyre grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

English is actually my 10th language, I was born in Ireland in December 1993. Nigeria. Won’t say too much.

No it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Don't trust the leak eating, daffodil picking, sheep loving backstards as far as you can throw them. This islands been going down hill since we left one of them by the name of Patrick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

So we're all agreed.
    Wales isn't really a country at all. The folks who live there just like to think it is.

My old school teacher used say its a Principality.
    that means that the Prince of Wales is THE MAN and they proverbially kiss his ring (if you get me.)

So what is Wales ?

TBH
    its ok. they're a bit like us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

The Welsh have a lot of pride and respect for their native language and Celtic heritage whereas the Irish loathe theirs.

Eh, what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Very high up on the list of people I don't want to face in a game of scrabble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

my misses is welsh and is from "that town with the long name"
    (Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch)
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    They can't keep secrets.
    This is very true!! around xmas certain welsh people will hand you your present and tell you what it is before you open it....
    The Welsh have a lot of pride and respect for their native language and Celtic heritage whereas the Irish loathe theirs.
    after dozens of trips over and back the past 10 years
    the general impression I get is Wales is split in two (North & south)
    the north: welsh is their 1st language and are proud of it and the south: "mainly" speak english

One thing I can say about the welsh is they are the most friendly and welcoming people you will meet across the water - and they love the Irish!!
    When they hear your from Ireland its like "oh yeah temple bar is a great spot"

(my misses will probably kill me if she see's this...:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A Welsh Tart corrupted our Messiah.
    I find it hard to forgive them for this.

Praise Jesus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

charlemont wrote: »
    They have no bottle when it comes to fighting the English..

To be honest I consider the Welsh as Mountain English..

The Welsh are English, in a way.

Before the now defunct Kingdom of England unified with the now defunct Kingdom of Scotland in 1707 to form a larger country called Great Britain the Kingdom of England included Wales. It would have been right to say "England" when you were also including Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_england#Union_with_Scotland

Since then we consider Wales and England to be separate, like Scotland and England, whereas in fact, for all intents and purposes, they aren't.

In fact, Wales and England are still very much joined. When quoting certain stats, such as those on crime, for example, the UK is divided, so there are crime stats concerning Scotland, those concerning Northern Ireland and those concerning a thing known as "England & Wales."

And, throughout its entire existence as a unified nation, Wales has NEVER been separate from England. It has been joined to England since its various Celtic kingdom unified to form Wales.

So whereas the English can look at the Scots and know they were once foreign, the Welsh and English cannot look at each other that way as the two nations have always been politically joined as one country.

Here's what it says on Wikpedia:

England and Wales

England and Wales (Welsh: Cymru a Lloegr) is a jurisdiction within the United Kingdom. It consists of England and Wales, two of the four countries of the United Kingdom. Unlike Scotland and Northern Ireland, England and Wales follow the legal system known as English law, and the two form the constitutional successor to the former Kingdom of England.

England and Wales are treated as a single unit, for most purposes, because the two form the constitutional successor to the former Kingdom of England. The continuance of Scots law was guaranteed under the 1706 Treaty of Union that led to the Acts of Union 1707, and as a consequence English law (and after 1801, Irish law) also continued to be separate. Exceptions include the Welsh Language Acts 1967 and 1993 and also the Government of Wales Act 1998, plus Measures of the National Assembly for Wales passed since the Government of Wales Act 2006, which apply in Wales but not in England.

Originally, Wales had its own system of law; however, following the Norman invasion of Wales in the 11th century, English law came to be practised in the parts of Wales conquered by the Normans (the Welsh Marches). In 1283 the English, led by prince Edward, with the biggest army brought together in England since the 11th century, conquered the remainder of Wales, then organised as the Principality of Wales, which was united with the English crown by the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284. Later, the Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542 consolidated the administration of all the Welsh territories and incorporated them fully into the legal system of the Kingdom of England.[1]

Prior to 1746 it was not clear whether a reference to "England" in legislation included Wales. And so in 1746 Parliament passed the Wales and Berwick Act, which specified that in all prior and future laws, references to "England" would by default include Wales (and Berwick). The Wales and Berwick Act was repealed in 1967 although the statutory definition of "England" it created is preserved for acts passed prior to its repeal. Since the Act's repeal what was referred to as "England" is now "England and Wales", while references to "England" and "Wales" refer to those political divisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_and_wales

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

The Welsh are the Irish that couldn't swim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Batsy wrote: »
    The Welsh are English, in a way.

Before the Kingdom of England unified with the Kingdom of Scotland in 1707 to form a larger country called Great Britain the Kingdom of England included Wales. It would have been right to say "England" when you were also including Wales.

Since then we consider Wales and England to be separate, like Scotland and England, whereas in fact, for all intents and purposes, they aren't.

In fact, Wales and England are still very much joined. When quoting certain stats, such as those on crime, for example, the UK is divided, so there are crime stats concerning Scotland, those concerning Northern Ireland and those concerning a thing known as "England & Wales."

And, throughout its entire existence as a unified nation, Wales has NEVER been separate from England. It has been joined to England since its various Celtic kingdom unified to form Wales.

So whereas the English can look at the Scots and know they were once foreign, the Welsh and English cannot look at each other that way as the two nations have always been politically joined as one country.

True, The language they speak is similar to what the English themselves once spoke before the Judes Saxons etc, The mountains helped preserve what we today call Welsh. Wales was pretty much annexed by England as until the 60's Wales itself was not legally separate in any way to England.

genie wrote: »

The Welsh manage to keep the English out until the 1280s! ;)

It's a bit unfair to say that it was the English who marched into what is now Wales.

England at the time was under Norman rule so you should blame it on the Normans.

charlemont wrote: »
    True, The language they speak is similar to what the English themselves once spoke before the Judes Saxons etc, The mountains helped preserve what we today call Welsh. Wales was pretty much annexed by England as until the 60's Wales itself was not legally separate in any way to England.

That's true. As it says here:

Prior to 1746 it was not clear whether a reference to "England" in legislation included Wales. And so in 1746 Parliament passed the Wales and Berwick Act, which specified that in all prior and future laws, references to "England" would by default include Wales (and Berwick). The Wales and Berwick Act was repealed in 1967 although the statutory definition of "England" it created is preserved for acts passed prior to its repeal. Since the Act's repeal what was referred to as "England" is now "England and Wales", while references to "England" and "Wales" refer to those political divisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_and_wales

And, of course, the England cricket team is actually the England & Wales cricket team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Ive alot of respect for the Welsh because of the way they treat their language as something that deserves to be preserved and cherished. I think its hilarious some people on here scorning them for being glorified english. They remind me of the same kind of people here that laugh at people who try and make a effort at irish.

Either way, I drink quite alot in Dublin, and its mad that I hear more welsh that i do Irish. Groups of lads on stags and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Batsy, the Welsh are a separate people, laws not withstanding.

What the Britons spoke before the Angles, Saxons and Jutes arrived. To say the English spoke (early) Welsh in anachronistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

The Welsh, Irish and Scots are the true British people. The English are not.

<stands back and waits>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I've been living in Cardiff (going to Uni of Glamorgan) for a few months now, right beside the city centre, and love it so far. Although I live with an Indian guy, an English guy, Nigerian girl and Korean guy, and my friends in College are mostly English, and a Greek and a Norn Irish, so my daily interactions aren't generally with Welsh people.
    All the Welsh people I have met were lovely though, and ever so slightly mental.

OP feel free to ask if you wanna know any more about the city.

I spent 2 years in Cardiff University. I lived out in Talyont and Cathays. My first year there I lived with 7 Indians, lots of Greeks studying in Cardiff too for some reason. Everyone at Cardiff University is English, oddly you don't find too many Welsh people studying there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Terry wrote: »
    A Welsh Tart corrupted our Messiah.
    I find it hard to forgive them for this.

Yucky Dah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Care to elaborate. I guess when you are asked a question some would ask the reason for asking, while others would answer it.

Yes.

How's that for an answer.

Or how's that for obedience. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

They shag sheep
    silly.Just silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I love the Welsh. Shwmae and diolch. Oh, and 'dwi'n hoffi coffi'.. That's about all the Welsh I know. Really friendly people, very similar to the Irish.

As regards to Welsh people and their heritage, you'll find that it varies - depending on where you are in Wales. Alot of people love the Welsh language, and the Welsh identity. Others are completely apathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

A shower of bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Last time I was over in Wales I got stopped by the Heddlu. :p,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

The Welsh word 'cwtch' is probably my favourite word of any language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I go to college in N.Wales.

I would hear Welsh every day of the week without fail, someone would walk into a shop and even without knowing if the shop assistant speaks or understand the language would instinctively speak in Welsh...it's really something that us Irish could learn from.

Nice to see the language doing so well.
    Well in the North of the country anyway, as someone said earlier it's not as prevalent in the South.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I love the Welsh. Shwmae and diolch. Oh, and 'dwi'n hoffi coffi'.. That's about all the Welsh I know. Really friendly people, very similar to the Irish.

As regards to Welsh people and their heritage, you'll find that it varies - depending on where you are in Wales. Alot of people love the Welsh language, and the Welsh identity. Others are completely apathetic.
    After a "few" pints, I've often practically forgotten I'm in a Welsh pub, and think I'm in a pub here.
    "Mae'n ddrwg 'da fi, dw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg yn dda iawn, wyt ti'n gallu siarad Gwyddelig?" Can get you in nicely with the locals in rural Wales. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yahew wrote: »
    Batsy, the Welsh are a separate people, laws not withstanding.

What the Britons spoke before the Angles, Saxons and Jutes arrived. To say the English spoke (early) Welsh in anachronistic.

I always considered the Welsh to be different to the English in the same way the Iceni and Brigantes were different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I deal with welsh customers on a daily basis,I find them very pleasant and funny especially one customer who chats with ye like you know him years.

The Welsh word 'cwtch' is probably my favourite word of any language.

Oh yes, I remember that one too. It's hug, right?

After a "few" pints, I've often practically forgotten I'm in a Welsh pub, and think I'm in a pub here.
    "Mae'n ddrwg 'da fi, dw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg yn dda iawn, wyt ti'n gallu siarad Gwyddelig?" Can get you in nicely with the locals in rural Wales. :)

I'd probably need a few pints before I even attempted to pronounce that :P

I know little about Welsh however the welsh for river is afon. From which we get Avon in English ( via the Romans). The Irish abhainn has similar roots, particularly if you think that the bh would have been pronounced as a 'v' sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mmf. Promised. I wouldn't. Cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Needs more pics:

55625.jpg

[SFW]

I really like the bubbly welsh accent in women - Stacey etc.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'd probably need a few pints before I even attempted to pronounce that :P

ma'n droog da vee, dwee dhem-en sharad kumraag un dai aown,
    oi-teen gakhee sharad wedhelig? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

I’ve been living in Wales for a number of years. It’s a great place to branch away from Ireland as you are so close to home and the people are so damn friendly and are always looking to have a laugh. Wales does feel insular in that everyone knows someone and you can probably guess someone’s surname by choosing Williams, Jenkins, Phillips, Jones and Evans. Welsh society is very open and there is seldom a sniff of religious influence in their thinking which is great.

Welsh people seem obsessed with having a tan and pecs (Gavin Henson and few other of the rugby lot being the models of that ideal). There is a definite streak of Roman blood in them as you get a lot of dark haired, brown eyed people around. In general they are small in height. You notice quite a large number of fat people (probably live off Iceland frozen foods) when out and about and a fair few teenage mothers, but that trend is evident in most UK towns/cities and is spreading to Ireland. They are obsessed with the national rugby team and seem to have limited interest in their football team.

Since the OP seems to be directing his questioning moreso in relation to Cardiff (Uni), a lot of money has been pumped into the development of Cardiff city and the fruits of the developments have been seen in the past two years. The shopping complex and renovated streets in the centre of town have really gelled in well with the city. It’s an ideal size as you can walk to your destinations quite easily (no money wasted on public transport). Sports facilities are great. Pubs are good as the drink is cheap but the food is so-so. Town is mental on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Alot of people a bringing up the language thing. Key difference, the taffs dont have it rammed down their throats every day for 14 years.

Advertisement