Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Welsh

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Alot of people a bringing up the language thing. Key difference, the taffs dont have it rammed down their throats every day for 14 years.

They're doing something right. From the Welsh Language Toolkit
    the percentage of fluent Welsh speakers among 3-15 year olds had increased from 41% in 1992 i 44% in 2004.

The language is compulsory to age 16 in schools.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Batsy wrote: »
    It's a bit unfair to say that it was the English who marched into what is now Wales.

England at the time was under Norman rule so you should blame it on the Normans.
    +1. Indeed one can lay the blame for a lot of these islands troubles at their feet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I know a Welsh girl who's daycent looking but actually looks better in photos than in person...usually it's the opposite way round.

Very little aptitude for even the simplest of rules in drinking games, but has a razor sharp wit.

I presume the rest of Wales is the same. And I presume they are all as cool and articulate as Hugh from the Valleys on BBC News as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Alot of people a bringing up the language thing. Key difference, the taffs dont have it rammed down their throats every day for 14 years.
    As Twee said, it is compulsory, and has been growing ever since, aided by being given equal status with English in 1993, and a Welsh language television station in 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The language is a compulsory subject in Wales, as it is in Ireland. Welsh people just aren't whining little sh*t-eagles like some Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dlofnep wrote: »
    The language is a compulsory subject in Wales, as it is in Ireland. Welsh people just aren't whining little sh*t-eagles like some Irish people.

I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem that in Wales the language is a unifying force, whereas in Ireland it can be divisive.

I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem that in Wales the language is a unifying force, whereas in Ireland it can be divisive.

It can be divisive in Wales too. They just don't bitch and moan about it as much and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

We should start a Pole.

Are the Welsh a great bunch of lads, or not? Wolf tones.

Also - the Welsh language is treated more seriously in Wales, and with more respect. Plaid Cymru and Welsh Labour both have a bilingual website. Plaid Cymru's is in Welsh by default, with the option to translate to English. That shows the level of respect they have for the language, and how serious the take it.

Welsh people fight to ensure they can operate through the Welsh language - while in Ireland, Irish speakers are just told to use English by it's detractors.

I deal with a lot of Welsh speakers and they get stick, just like people give here about Irish, with all the same comments about dead languages, what use is it in the modern world......etc
    Apart from numbers, things are pretty similar to here regarding the attitudes towards the language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 guyridinghigh

There are exceptions to every rule, and I am sure that there are thoroughly decent Welsh individuals (they weren't all bad in Gavin & Stacey) however, on the whole - as nation - A BIG THUMBS DOWN.... (too cross and militant by half.,,)

I deal with a lot of Welsh speakers and they get stick, just like people give here about Irish, with all the same comments about dead languages, what use is it in the modern world......etc
    Apart from numbers, things are pretty similar to here regarding the attitudes towards the language.

You must know more than me then. I've never met a Welsh person who didn't have a reasonable grasp of the language. Even if they didn't use it everyday. I've never heard anyone moan about it though.

That said, I know people from the south east who have experienced the refusing to speak English routine when they have ventured north. I believe there is a significant north/south divide with the south (in particular Cardiff) being considered practically English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

All I know is Geraldus Cambrensis was a dick!

You must know more than me then. I've never met a Welsh person who didn't have a reasonable grasp of the language. Even if they didn't use it everyday. I've never heard anyone moan about it though.

That said, I know people from the south east who have experienced the refusing to speak English routine when they have ventured north. I believe there is a significant north/south divide with the south (in particular Cardiff) being considered practically English.
    If you have never met a non Welsh speaking Welshperson than yes I have indeed met more of a variety of Welsh people than you, because there are many.

If you consider Cardiff as "practically English" then you must know very little indeed about Wales. Any division could (maybe) be called "British" Wales or "Welsh" Wales, but certainly not English and there are 10's of thousands of Welsh speakers living in Cardiff and also in the nearby valleys of Rhondda-Cynon-Taf, there are actually more people in South Wales that speak the language than in the North, the divide is actually East /West.
    I learned Southern Welsh by the way.

By the "refusing to speak English routine" are you referring to the false urban legend, as people all over Wales welcome visitors in the same way people all over Britain and Ireland do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Welsh have their own version of Braveheart though - Owain Glyndwr who slapped the English around a fair bit in the 15th Century.

Would make a good film - they could produce it here :)

Batsy wrote: »
    It's a bit unfair to say that it was the English who marched into what is now Wales.

England at the time was under Norman rule so you should blame it on the Normans.

If you have never met a non Welsh speaking Welshperson than yes I have indeed met more of a variety of Welsh people than you, because there are many.

If you consider Cardiff as "practically English" then you must know very little indeed about Wales. Any division could (maybe) be called "British" Wales or "Welsh" Wales, but certainly not English and there are 10's of thousands of Welsh speakers living in Cardiff and also in the nearby valleys of Rhondda-Cynon-Taf, there are actually more people in South Wales that speak the language than in the North, the divide is actually East /West.

By the "refusing to speak English routine" are you referring to the false urban legend, as people all over Wales welcome visitors in the same way people all over Britain and Ireland do.

I worked out of an office in Newport for four years, so I've met a variety of Welsh people thanks.

You really should read posts more carefully.

bullpost wrote: »
    The Welsh have their own version of Braveheart though - Owain Glyndwr who slapped the English around a fair bit in the 15th Century.

The Welsh version of the IRA were called the sons of Glyndwr, although I think the worst thing they ever did was to set light to a few caravans.

bullpost wrote: »

They are actually looking to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

A bit different. The Welsh are one people and so are going to back the native language. It isn't the same on this island. Certainly isn't the same in N.I.

I've heard this rumour from trusted English sources too - they are rude, or hostile if you talk English to them ( if resident for a while).

My feeling is that English should learn the language if they live there.

• Advertisement

I worked out of an office in Newport for four years, so I've met a variety of Welsh people thanks.

You really should read posts more carefully.
    Well you are living in Ireland now and know very little about Irish people, so I wouldn't take much stock on your knowing Welsh people any better after living in Wales.
    Oh I read your post, and it was as I pointed out, quite incorrect.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    A bit different. The Welsh are one people and so are going to back the native language. It isn't the same on this island. Certainly isn't the same in N.I.

Nobody is claiming Irish/Gaelic is the language of the Unionists.

Well you are living in Ireland now and know very little about Irish people, so I wouldn't take much stock on your knowing Welsh people any better after living in Wales.
    Oh I read your post, and it was as I pointed out, quite incorrect.

Please, stop.

Yahew wrote: »
    I've heard this rumour from trusted English sources too - they are rude, or hostile if you talk English to them ( if resident for a while).

My feeling is that English should learn the language if they live there.
    People who have lived there for a while could find some negativity if they don't make an attempt to try and learn at the very least a few words of the local language, same in most parts of the world, that is quite different to being unfriendly to visitors though.
    As you say they should learn something if they live there. It is amazing what a simple shwmae, diolch or Ti'n iawn? will do.

Please, stop, you are making an idiot of yourself. Again.
    I'm not the one who called South Wales, which has more Welsh speakers than the North "practically English", :D

I'm not the one who called South Wales, which has more Welsh speakers than the North "practically English", :D

Neither did I if you read my post again.

Maybe I should have said that the south are considered as bad as the English :-)

Neither did I if you read my post again.
    Maybe I should have said that the south are considered as bad as the English :-)
    Indeed there is a bit of ribbing between North and South, though they will get together for some mutual ribbing of the Saesnig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Last time I was over in Wales I got stopped by the Heddlu. :p,

My advice is - Araf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

dlofnep wrote: »
    Oh yes, I remember that one too. It's hug, right?

Yep. :) But not just any old hug, it's a really affectionate, comforting, almost intimate hug. It's pronounced "cutch" like "clutch", and there are related words like 'cwtchy' and 'cwtching'. Love it, beautiful word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

the women have unattractive accents

So do the men. I do not fancy that accent at all. :pac:

So do the men. I do not fancy that accent at all. :pac:

if theres a thing that could describe vomit audio...

the welsh accent wins ...

the only other accent i hate is Australians i hate them convicts

the only other accent i hate is Australians i hate them convicts

A soft Australian accent is a beautiful thing. They don't all sound like Kath and Kim. :pac:

A soft Australian accent is a beautiful thing. They don't all sound like Kath and Kim. :pac:

the only person who is remotely sexy voiced is cludia black/ druels :D:cool:

the only person who is remotely sexy voiced is cludia black/ druels :D:cool:

No, I used to have an Australian housemate with a voice like liquid chocolate. :)

• Advertisement

The accent can be dire ( Nessa in G&S) or lovely, Stacey in G & S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

From my experience of them there's way more nessa's then stacey's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Funniest language.

"Wibble wobble toil and tobble gooble gobble glerp"

"I am waiting for the Glerp"

Advertisement