Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop or Mini PC

• 12-11-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I am going to buy new Laptop or Mini PC (for example ZOTAC) what should i buy? what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi, What do you want it for? What will you be using it mostly for, and do you want/need/prefer portability?

Mini PC's like Zotac, are great to use as HTPC's, e.g Plug them into your TV and surf the internet from there, and listen to your music and watch movies etc..

Also you'll need a wireless Keyboard and Mouse, or would prefer one anyway.

But they're only as portable as the monitor attached to them, and the plug lead.

Laptops, obviously, are portable and can be carried around, also, they can be plugged into a TV, and used the same way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 annafalcon

Yes portability is important for me, i use my laptop every day (sometimes 12 hours) the main problem with laptop is it become overheated after few hours of heavy usage - i have to turn it off and wait some time before i will turn it on again. The best solution would be regular PC, but i need portable one, that is the reason i think about mini PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

A cooler might help with your overheating problem ...
    what would you be using your new machine for and what would your budget be ?

beno619 wrote: »
    A cooler might help with your overheating problem ...
    what would you be using your new machine for and what would your budget be ?
    i think that mini PC might have better cooling system then laptop, what do you think? I use my machine mostly online (work), but you know - often 10 or more browsers windows open in the same time, sometimes some files uploading/downloading, video editing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I you're going to move around a lot, then surely a laptop of some kind is the obvious choice??

• Advertisement

I you're going to move around a lot, then surely a laptop of some kind is the obvious choice??
    Yes that's true, but there is no problem for me move around even with Mini Pc and some small monitor. I would like to know what has better cooling system laptop or mini pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

They both have good cooling systems, you would just notice the heat alot more because the laptop is on your lap :P
    your current laptop is probably just clogged with dust and crap from clothes,beds ect, that's why its overheating, laptops really shouldn't be used on laps or beds if that makes any sense :L

beno619 wrote: »
    They both have good cooling systems, you would just notice the heat alot more because the laptop is on your lap :P
    your current laptop is probably just clogged with dust and crap from clothes,beds ect, that's why its overheating, laptops really shouldn't be used on laps or beds if that makes any sense :L
    That's funny :)

I do not use it on my lap :), i have some special work station, i am sure that one of them (mac/mini pc) has better cooling system, the question is which one?

annafalcon wrote: »
    That's funny :)

I do not use it on my lap :), i have some special work station, i am sure that one of them (mac/mini pc) has better cooling system, the question is which one?

How old was your old laptop?

I think buying a mini pc because you're afraid of cooling issues is a mistake. If you move around at all, a mini pc will not be suitable. You'd have to carry the PC, a screen, a keyboard and mouse, a cable to connect the screen, a power supply. And on top of all that you'll need a desk to put it on.

Makes no sense to me being honest. Get a laptop, we'll be able to give you advice on one that is known to not have cooling trouble.

How old was your old laptop?

I think buying a mini pc because you're afraid of cooling issues is a mistake. If you move around at all, a mini pc will not be suitable. You'd have to carry the PC, a screen, a keyboard and mouse, a cable to connect the screen, a power supply. And on top of all that you'll need a desk to put it on.

Makes no sense to me being honest. Get a laptop, we'll be able to give you advice on one that is known to not have cooling trouble.
    Thank you for answer, my laptop is just a few months old the problem is because i use it many hours every day (heavy usage), for that kind of work i should to get proper PC - that would be the best choice, but with proper PC i will not be able to move around at all, mini pc i can take somewhere if i really need it. It would be good to know if someone had a chance to use "heavily" mini PC , what is your experience?

• Advertisement

Thank you for answer, my laptop is just a few months old the problem is because i use it many hours every day (heavy usage), for that kind of work i should to get proper PC - that would be the best choice, but with proper PC i will not be able to move around at all, mini pc i can take somewhere if i really need it. It would be good to know if someone had a chance to use "heavily" mini PC , what is your experience?

Take the laptop back. Something is wrong. If you are using it on a flat surface it shouldn't be overheating. It wouldn't really be a dust problem either, given how new it is. Possibly the CPU needs to have some thermal paste added. Your laptop should be able to run 24/7 without overheating, unless you're running games on it all the time.

Take the laptop back. Something is wrong. If you are using it on a flat surface it shouldn't be overheating. It wouldn't really be a dust problem either, given how new it is. Possibly the CPU needs to have some thermal paste added. Your laptop should be able to run 24/7 without overheating, unless you're running games on it all the time.
    I think you are right, i will take my laptop back to the seller and ask him to check it out and fix it or replace.

I think you are right, i will take my laptop back to the seller and ask him to check it out and fix it or replace.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Advertisement