Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late into teaching, what to do about PRSA

• 12-11-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

I'm relatively late into teaching so I had about 5 years of a PRSA before i started...

Getting info from the dept about pensions is a nightmare (have a look at our website they say, but pensions are a minefield of terminology). Needless to say i've kept on the PRSA and am still claiming it in my tax credits every year.
    Currently I am part paid by the DEpt (about 8 hrs per week) so the amt taken out is very low... I can't imagine when I retire that my dept. pension will amount to much, even asking the department to give me a calculation or formula for this has been a chore.

Given that a lot more teachers are entering the profession later in their lives I was wondering how anyone in a similar situation to mine has approached this issue...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can do the calculation youself (or give a rough estimate).

Pension = No. Years worked x 1/80 x final salary (point on scale).

So 40 years worked = 40/80 = 1/2 final salary (assuming full hours)

If you went in at 32 and you can't retire until you are 65, you will work 33 years.

33/80 x final salary (you'll be on top of the scale by then, so assume Point 25, plus long service increment, Degree allowance, dip allowance).

If you stay on 8 hours a week for the rest of your life that figure I guess is going to be 8/22 of the pension.

Or you could work it another way. Max years is 33. Multiply this by 8/22. 33/1 x 8/22 is exactly 12 years

So your final pension would be 12/80 x final salary as calculated above.

Also lump sum of 1.5 times final salary (assuming 40 years service) So again, calculate final salary x 1.5 and then get 12/40 of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Cheers rainbow trout. On the ball.. Think ill keep the prsa on in the meantime... Or buy gold!!!

Advertisement