Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teething baby stopping drinking expressed milk :(

Options
  • 12-11-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

My 3 month old baby has started teething about 2 weeks now and since, he won't take any of my expressed milk. I work 5 hours on a sat morning and I really need him to be taking it for his daddy. Before this he would take the bottle fine and had no problems. We have tried 2 different bottles and it seems that once the teat goes near his mouth he gets so so upset.

The last time he took the bottle he projectile vomited all over the both of us. He won't take from it since and we don't know if this is related.

He feeds perfectly fine off me. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Or any advice on how to remedy it? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

yes that happen with me too

we tried a whole host of things but i suppose the one that worked is when they are hungry enough they'll take anything...its very hard to do heart breaking to watch them crying from hunger but its cruel to be kind, unless you want to strap baba to you under your blouse and bring to work :D only joking

the vomiting thing was what put my fella off too but its just about being persistent and as i said when they are starving they'll take it, poor hubby though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Would he be too old for a cup feed? I supposed you'd have to ask the PHN.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Supplement-Using-Cup-Feeding-106168963

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Would he be too old for a cup feed? I supposed you'd have to ask the PHN.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Supplement-Using-Cup-Feeding-106168963

Thanks a million wmpdd3, it seems to be working. Very messy though and after about 5/10 mins he is getting bored. We'll just have to continue on with it. Any idea how long this should last for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have no idea, I had to do it with my newborn, but she was only taking 1 oz every few hours and that took 1/2 an hour to get it into her.

For a baby that old it may be worth calling the PHN as i can imagine him getting pretty p-eed off at the length of time it takes to get fed. Though that may drive him back to bottles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Could your expressed breast milk have high lipase? If so it could taste soapy. I've heard of women who scald their milk which admittedly kills some of the nutrients but it makes it nicer for baby to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I'm heading the PHN on Monday so will see if she can shine any light on the situation.

I've never heard of that HowStrange I'll give it a bash, anything to get him to drink them again. Its terrible cause we can't leave him with anyone even to get out for a walk unless its timed accurately lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Taste it yourself and see if there's a soapy taste from it. Otherwise try cup feeding for a while. The last you want is him having such a negative association with bottles that he won't drink from one again. Cup feeding for a while might break the association. He's still very young. Also talk to your phn for her opinion.

Advertisement