Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring water in Galway, anyone?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Where can I find a source of spring water in Galway and/ or surrounding areas?

I know that there are some Holy wells around the county which are in fact springs, but I can't find a precise location or more information about their existence, if they are still in use.

Here is the list that I found on one of the sites.

Tubbermacduach, Kinvara
    Tobar Naoimhéid, Kilscorbe
    St. Columcille's Well, Kilconickery
    St. Patrick's Well, Mám Éan (Maumeen)
    St. Michael's Well, Belclare
    Tobar Mac Duach, Oranmore
    Tobar Ros, Fahy Parish (Tobar Os)
    St. Bernard's Well, Knockroe, Knockmoy
    Tobar Eidhne, Inishmore, Galway Bay
    St. Colman's Well, Kinvara
    Well of the Seven Daughters, Renvyle
    St. Feichin's Well, Gooreen, Omey Island
    St. Colmcille's Well, Inishnee Island
    Our Lady's Well, Athenry
    St. Augustine's Well
    Mary's Well (Tobar Mhuire) Dooghta, Cong
    Saint Fechin's Well (Tobar Feichín), Dooghta, Cong
    Saint Patrick's Well (Tobar Phádraig), Teernakill South, Ross
    Saint Ceannanach's Well, Clooncree, Ballynakill
    Saint Fechin's Well (Tobar Feichín), Cammanagh, Ross
    Saint Kieran's Well (Tobar Chiaráin), Kilkieran, Moyrus
    Saint Colman's Well, Corker, Kiltartan
    Does anyone know about any of these?

At the moment we use bottled water but it is so expensive as we use it for cooking too. Don't ask me why.

From my personal experience, for the health reasons I stay way from  tap water.

Visiting another country this year I tried the water from a Holy spring which is gravity fed living water.

The difference in taste and the way you feel afterwards is unbelievable. This source is controlled there by a number of tests that are done on a regular basis, like ph, chemical,mineral, bacteriological and so on.

In Connemara  for example we saw some places where groundwater was emerging at the surface, like a small seepage surrounded by wet ground and clay.  I don't know if it is safe to drink it though by a definition it is a spring.
    In big streams coming from the mountains the water is mostly brown.
    I know it is definitely unsafe to drink that water due to the high level of tannins and iron.

I know that a lot of people would be very reluctant to drink this type of water due to bacterial/ chemical contamination of water.
    It is vitally important to find a clean source but where? Please share any information you might have on this topic.

I don't believe that Ireland has no clean water as it is one the most ecological countries in the world, of course it wouldn't be so once the hydraulic fracturing starts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are springs all over the place in Galway, even if you see flooding in an area it could be a sign of a spring.

They're so common I would say it would be hard to find official information on them to be honest. A lot of farms would have a spring somewhere on them I'd start asking farmers as they'll know where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Firstly don't just accept that tap water is bad, get the water tested in a lab first and make your decisions based on the results. Water schemes vary a lot so what you receive in one location could be completely different to 5 miles away in a different scheme.

Don't trust any of those water filter companies that test "your" water, pay and get an unbiased test done.

I think it's ridiculous to be cooking with bottled water but it's your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Oranbeg (just outside Oranmore on the Dublin road and into the left (Frenchfort). I think that spring is still good.

The one in Oranmore itself (opposite the supervalu shopping centre) was ruined in the early 80's when they built the housing estates:(. Before that, it was great water with a reputation for never drying out during drought and was used by all the locals... and then they built a small sewage scheme beside it:confused:

Advertisement