Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipod nano best price? Or alternative?

• 12-11-2011 3:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking to either buy a 16gig ipod nano, where would have the best price?
    They generally seem to be about 159 but ive seen it a few places for less before, anybody know any deals?

something refurbished like here be ok? http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC696QB/A

Also what alternatives would you suggest? It's for my mother who just wants something small for walks etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I bought my daughter a refurbished nano and it was like new, so no problems with those.

That said, they are a bit expensive these days. Something like this might be a better option:

http://www.sony.ie/product/nws-e-series/nwz-e443k

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

it's hard to beat the current nano, and I'd recommend apple's refurb store quite highly.

Really, I'd only recommend Apple mp3players for non-techie types (mom's - apologies for the sweeping generalisation) as no brand has as good customer service for when things maybe/might go wrong

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cnocbui wrote: »
    I bought my daughter a refurbished nano and it was like new, so no problems with those.

That said, they are a bit expensive these days. Something like this might be a better option:

http://www.sony.ie/product/nws-e-series/nwz-e443k
    Thanks I'll have a look at that one! Hopefully there are bigger than 4gb ones!
    /reads
    Mactard wrote: »
    it's hard to beat the current nano, and I'd recommend apple's refurb store quite highly.

Really, I'd only recommend Apple mp3players for non-techie types (mom's - apologies for the sweeping generalisation) as no brand has as good customer service for when things maybe/might go wrong
    Thanks, I'll be setting up everything and can fix anything that goes wrong, the nano seems like a lovely little piece of kit. Seems the store is good too, might get it there or see is there somewhere cheaper.

Will have a look at some more alternatives first though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Will have a look at some more alternatives first though.

Another alternative: Sandisk Fuze+, but that might be difficult to track down over here (and amazon might not ship here as they seem to be picky about shipping mp3 players to the republic)

Or

Samsung Q3 (limited to 8gb though)

and finally

Sony s765 basically the same as what cnocbui linked to, but in a different shell and a bit cheaper

That's all the more reliable options that I can think of, I'll spare you the mention of Cowon, iriver and Creative - their hangups just seem to be illogical :pac:

Mactard wrote: »

I personally don't think the current nano is a good design. Too small, bad form factor and lacking the physical dedicated controls like the scroll wheel. They were supposed to be designing a great PMP and instead came up with a gimmicky watch.

Apple have some clever people working for them but they are not immune from ignoring the truism of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

They made the same mistake with the truly awful previous shuffle that was so small you could loose it if you inhaled too hard and with the dumb controls on the cable.

I went to some effort to find an older version of the Nano, with the click wheel, for my daughter. I ended up getting a 16gb refurbished one on eBay for about €50 less than the rrp for the current 8gb nano. So the effort lead to a big win.

Anyone wanting to see the vast array of PMPs available should have a browse here: http://amazingadgets.com/category/ipod-mp3/

As for Amazon. After my disbelief at reading on another thread that they wouldn't ship to Ireland, I actually investigated a bit. I did indeed find that all the PMPs I tried selecting were banned from being shipped to Ireland except for iPods. I contacted their customer service people and after going through a couple bods got a call back from someone slightly higher up the foodchain in Bangalore or wherever they are. They confirmed they would not ship PMPs to Ireland and that it was their policy not to disclose the reasons for this. A couple of the people I spoke to were unaware of the restriction and agreed that it seemed nonsensical.

• Advertisement

I personally don't think the current nano is a good design. Too small, bad form factor and lacking the physical dedicated controls like the scroll wheel. They were supposed to be designing a great PMP and instead came up with a gimmicky watch.

I've read your post on this a few times in the past but have never expressed that, wholeheartedly, I disagree. The new nano [IMO] is a vast improvement over the elongated, awkward-to-hold gen5 nano. The lack of scroll wheel is negated by the use of an intuitive and responsive touchscreen which, despite it's diminutive form, works incredibly well and of course keeping the physical volume buttons was a lesson learned from the gen1 ipod touch (the 5th gen of which is their current great pmp leaving the nano exactly where it should be, a small music player)

Just wanted to offer my POV on the matter, if you'd like to discuss it further i'm reachable by PM, but now lets focus on the thread at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a 2nd-hand iPod nano 3rd gen (the slightly fatty one).
    01_large20070905.jpg

Most overtly-sensitive touchwheel I've ever had the displeasure of using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

As for Amazon. After my disbelief at reading on another thread that they wouldn't ship to Ireland, I actually investigated a bit. I did indeed find that all the PMPs I tried selecting were banned from being shipped to Ireland except for iPods. I contacted their customer service people and after going through a couple bods got a call back from someone slightly higher up the foodchain in Bangalore or wherever they are. They confirmed they would not ship PMPs to Ireland and that it was their policy not to disclose the reasons for this. A couple of the people I spoke to were unaware of the restriction and agreed that it seemed nonsensical.

I just got the new sansa clip zip.
    Bought from a reseller on Amazon delivered to Ireland no problems.
    The seller was AdvanceMP3 which I know have their own site but I wanted to test if I could get the clip zip sent here and I did, listening to it now.

Good to hear. Obviously I was looking at PMPs where Amazon themselves were the retailer.

I found this and think it would be a good alternative to a nano. I don't think I have ever seen a PMP that will play Ape, let alone flac and OGG as well !
    h2513.jpg.350x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg
    Foehn & Hirsch - TJ-514 MP4 player

There is a review of it here: http://www.itreviews.com/hardware/audio-video-players/foehn-hirsch-tj-514-mp4-player/

The list of features - for the price (~£30) - is incredible:

F&H TJ-514 Fifth Gen 8GB MP4 Player with G-Sensor Camera & FM Radio 2.4 inch TFT Screen Red
    With all the features you would expect from an up to date piece of technology the F&H Fifth Gen media players are a great way to listen to your music and watch movies wherever you are.

Features:-

2.4 inch large TFT Screen
    Slim & trim in design, in 9 fancy colours
    Built-in camera, support DC & DV
    Built-in loud speaker
    Built-in G sensor (support User interface rotating & Scroll through menu list by a flick, gravity sensitive)
    With multiple functions, such as mucis & video play, photo viewing, voice recording, ebook reading, FM Raido, stopwatch, etc.
    Charger included

Specifications:-

2.4 inch TFT Screen, 320*240, 260,000 full colour
    Music: supporting format of MP3, WMA, OGG, APE, FLAC and AAC
    Recorder: MIC recording
    Photo: supporting format of JPEG, BMP&GIF
    Video: supporting AVI, FLV, 3GB,etc (need to convert)
    Supporting FM Radio
    Supporting DC and DV
    Supporting USB2.0 high speed transmission
    Supporting Multitasking
    Built-in G sensor
    Built-in speaker
    Dimension: 11.4* 4.9 * 0.9cm

Only places I could readily find them for sale were here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=Hirsch+TJ-514&x=0&y=0

http://www.saverpoint.com/fh-tj-514-fifth-gen-8gb-mp4-player-with-g-sensor-camera--fm-radio-24-inch-tft-screen-red-9431-p.asp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thanks a lot guys will deffo look at some of these. the nano seems to be overpriced as there are a lot of cheaper alternatives that are just fine.

what do you think of this?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/12103211/Sandisk-Sansa-Clip-8GB-MP3-Player-Black/Product.html

the TJ-514 MP4 player looks pretty amazing for the price there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The clip+ is one of the best/smallest mp3 players.
    Search this forum it's talked about a lot in here when people want to get their first mp3 player. Great little unit imo. And expandable storage too. Great bang for buck.

Thanks now to just find the best place to deliver it to here for cheap!

or that other one with loads of features above, as that looks amazing

apart from those two what do people make of this?

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/07/cowon-c2-review/

I quite like what mactard linked to as well so I am really confused now!

Advertisement