Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on baking powder

Options
  • 12-11-2011 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hello!:)

I made scones a few days ago and they turned out rather flat and spread a bit too. I thought that perhaps I didn't add in enough baking powder. The recipe calls for 450 g of plain flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder. I put in 2 as I thought the recipe called for too little. However, I have just checked on joyofbaking.com that you should add 1 tsp per 140 g of flour meaning I should be adding over a tablespoon.

I would appreciate any advice you could provide to me for what I should do as I am making them again tonight!! How much baking powder?!?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The last scones I made were these they turned out OK.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/kirsties-handmade-britain-recipes/scones-recipe
    Ingredients

* 500g plain flour
    * 65g caster sugar
    * ½ tsp salt
    * 60g butter
    * 30g baking powder
    * 65g milk powder
    * 250ml buttermilk
    * 1 egg beaten with a splash of milk, to glaze

Method

Preheat the oven to 210°C/gas mark 7. In a bowl put the flour, sugar, salt, butter, baking powder and milk powder and rub it together with your fingertips until it turns cream coloured and slightly crumbly. The odd fleck of butter is not a bad thing.

Add the buttermilk then stir this into the flour. Bring together into a firm ball of dough, and knead lightly for 10-15 seconds - no more or the dough will be tough.

Flour the surface again and the top of the dough and roll to 4cm thick. Cut into rounds using an 8cm round cutter. A quick downward cut will give you the best rise in the oven.

Place on a parchment lined tray a few centimetres apart and brush the tops with the egg and milk mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and lightly coloured.

To serve, warm in a 150°C/gas mark 2 oven for 5-6 minutes then serve with lashings of clotted cream and jam on top. (You can freeze scones and they will almost come out as new. Put them in an airtight container for up to 6 months, defrost them and put them in the oven for five minutes until they are heated through.)

Tip: When you are baking scones, trust the oven; don’t open it constantly and poke around. Also when rolling out the scone mix, don’t use a rolling pin or beat it down. Be gentle and press it to about 4cm thick, then push the cutters straight down, without twisting. This will give you light scones that rise evenly.

I normally have the same problem but I think I wasn't cutting them out thick enough. These ones turned out much more risen because I eventually used my block and got a ruler out although mine were a little underdone in the center. Scones aren't my strong point but this recipe is really simple and no faffing about with rolling pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

+1 for all of the above especially cutting them thick, but also, preheat your baking tray! It makes a big difference and provides a light even rise.

For 450g I'd add 1.5-2tsps of baking powder too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Saoirse333

Thank you very much! You have both been a great help:):)

I did use 2 tsp the last day but they came out flat. When I used to make them before, I would add about a tablespoon and a half and they would come out well risen. They were perfect. I didn't make the scones last night but will do so tomorrow as I don't bake on Sundays!

Go raibh míle maith agaibh!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

'Self Raising' Flour has one teaspoon of baking powder per cup (150g) of flour but for scones I would usually double it. The recipe I use has 6 teaspoons of baking powder for 450g but it is a really simple one with just flour, salt, bp, butter and buttermilk. Once the baking powder is in you want to get them into the oven as fast as possible for a good rise. Don't spend too long on the mixing and use a wide bowl and as few strokes as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Saoirse333

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    'Self Raising' Flour has one teaspoon of baking powder per cup (150g) of flour but for scones I would usually double it. The recipe I use has 6 teaspoons of baking powder for 450g but it is a really simple one with just flour, salt, bp, butter and buttermilk. Once the baking powder is in you want to get them into the oven as fast as possible for a good rise. Don't spend too long on the mixing and use a wide bowl and as few strokes as possible.

Thank you very much!! This has helped me soo much!! I will follow your instructions from now on!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement