Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe and Euro 2012 READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Booked up my accommodation before the draw was finished, just have to pay 10% on hostelworld and hostel bookers, although one place has emailed now looking for a 40% deposit. It was a very hectic Friday evening!

prices range from €15 per person for a delux ensuite room to €32 for a dorm room in the hostels i've used...strange as the delux ensuite is the night of a match and the €32 dorm room isn't! handy just having to pay 10% deposit as i've booked accom for some nights that i may or may not use depending on travel and stuff.. so €2 isn't much to be loosing out on for piece of mind! average hostel price was about €23 per night :-)

Going to buy a scooter and 2 of us head over on it... the most impracticle method of getting there! about 1400km, 3 days driving on the continent should do it :-) looking forward to this adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

I'm looking to rent in Poland so if anyone knows a company in Poland also, that would be great.

I can give links to the websites but they are all in Polish so while you can use your browsers to translate them - I am not sure how the communication will work out in case you decide to rent from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

connundrum wrote: »
    The option at the moment is to fly into Hamburg (Germany) with Aerlingus (approx €150pp), then rent a 3, 4 or 5 berth campervan in Hamburg and drive to Poznan/Gdansk.

However, it still is working out as the most flexible, cheapest option for us i.e. between 4 lads, travelling from 7th - 19th June = approx €450pp for flights and van hire. If you said to the lads €550pp then that'd probably cover tolls and fuel too and it's a one off cost.

Be careful about picking up a camper on the 7th in Germany, it's a bank holiday!

Anyone have any good links for campsites in Poznan and Gdansk that will take a motorhome in for the eve, let you charge etc?

I booked two 6 berth vans through this crowd by the way, €2250 each with a 40% deposit required up front

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

See the thread on Poland Euro 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Had a look there, very good links thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 kensingtondell

uli84 wrote: »
    I can give links to the websites but they are all in Polish so while you can use your browsers to translate them - I am not sure how the communication will work out in case you decide to rent from them...

That would be great if you could give me the polish websites. I'll try google translate and take it from there. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Anyone have links to accommodation online near poznan??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

hefferboi wrote: »
    I got this place for 4 nights 3 people in room for € 55 a head per night. Pricey I know and 10km out, but I reckon could've been much worse. Not sure if they have rooms on the 18th though as we're gonna drive back overnight after Italy match to Germany. I found the hotel via booking.com. Looking now on booking.com I do see double rooms from 14-19 (if just going for 2 matches). Best room was Hotel Sunny for € 120 PRPN. They've also got that football fan campsite listed. I'd say the campsite will either be the success story of the city or a complete mess! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, it seems the Mods have closed this thread. :confused:
    It would have been handy to post bits and pieces. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

hefferboi wrote: »

Booked Gdansk yesterday for 2 nights, 14th n 15th. €152 for twin room for the 2 nights with brekkie. Looking into Poznan now for the 16th,17th n 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Unfortunately, it seems the Mods have closed this thread. :confused:
    It would have been handy to post bits and pieces. Oh well.
    That's what this thread is for.

That would be great if you could give me the polish websites. I'll try google translate and take it from there. Cheers.

there is one:

http://www.przyczepy24.pl/

oh this one i think is in English too

http://campery.pl/en/

will see if i can find more...

just an advice for anyone looking for accommodation in Gdansk, look at Gdynia and Sopot too - these cities are very well communicated with Gdansk (trains, buses) and really near-by

accommodation in Poznan (includes campsites) - no websites or emails though, only phone numbers, i reckon one may try and throw the names into google, for example - Camping Malta returned with the below:

http://www.maltacampsite.com/

campsites and accommodation in Gdansk area:

http://www.opener.pl/en/info/accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 WallabyPie

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Does anyone think that more flights will be added on to current routes to Poland sometime in the new year no?

Should we not hold off on flights now and try get them when new ones announced?

day before draw Michael O'Leary said he wouldn't increase flight fares for Euro's, so surely there'll be a demand for more flights come Spring?

At the moment best way seems to fly with 1 stop along way return for €300 Say 9th June to Tuesday 19th June.

Would something better come up if i wait?

You're getting a return flight (granted with one stop) for €300? That's excellent value. I paid €480 for a direct return flight.
    If any flights are added one, they will be more expensive. They won't be added on unless there is real demand. There are already a lot of flights on offer directly into Poland, plus all the flights into Germany, etc. There is excellent value flying into the other cities around Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

This camper-van route that people plan on taking...

The only campsites i can see in gadnsk and poznan are "STOGI" and "camping malta" respectively.

camping Malta doesn't seem to have any availability online at the moment, so what other options do people have if this campsite is full? whats the legality of parking up in a car park?

anyone with previous experience slumming it in Europe with a camper van let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

big_show wrote: »
    This camper-van route that people plan on taking...

The only campsites i can see in gadnsk and poznan are "STOGI" and "camping malta" respectively.

camping Malta doesn't seem to have any availability online at the moment, so what other options do people have if this campsite is full? whats the legality of parking up in a car park?

anyone with previous experience slumming it in Europe with a camper van let me know!

Yeah I set up a thread to specifically discuss camper van travel with a view to using that information next June but it was merged in here. People with camper van experience who have no interest in travelling to Poland next year aren't going to see these posts so I don't know where to get that kind of information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I can only assume that the Polish Govt will see this as an issue and will put in temporary measures to accommodate the couple of hundred/thousand additional camper vans hitting the country in June?!

I'm not going to worry about it, if needs be I'll hit up all my Polish staff and see who's ma's garden we can park in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I can only assume that the Polish Govt will see this as an issue and will put in temporary measures to accommodate the couple of hundred/thousand additional camper vans hitting the country in June?!

I'm not going to worry about it, if needs be I'll hit up all my Polish staff and see who's ma's garden we can park in :)

Exactly, I'm sure fields or car parks will be made available to Camper Vans should there be any overload of Campervans. Police will have far greater issues than strictly enforcing any Camper van laws.

Booked flights to frankfurt for 138 on the 7th returning the 20th, cant wait.

Would people say its paramount to book the Camper soon? Looking at 6 berth one for 1780 at the moment all inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Sorry its actually 2 stops 10hrs will be in warsaw. So is €300 worth it.

You think when flights if they add more will go up? O'Leary cam out last week and said he wouldn't increase fares than normal.

We're also hoping to just bring over a tent and do it cheap as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

And following that I did speak to one of my staff who's mother in law lives in Poznan. He's going to ask her to check out that Malta Camping site and see what the story is.

If you can't book it online I might ask him to wire her money to book a spot on our behalf. I'll post details of my findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Jacqal

Hello Irish, a few tips for Your summer journey to Poznan.
    First, if You are determined to arrive by air, consider as the alternative to Lawica (Poznan's airport) flying to Berlin and then renting a car. Poznan is just a 2,5-hour drive from Berlin airport.
    Second, when searching for a hotel I would use Google Maps and search for Poznan. I suggest looking for an accomodation in the surroudings of Poznan (circa 40-50 km from the city). Just insert "hotel" into the search bar and Google Maps will do the rest of the job...  Local tourist board claims that in Poznan and near the city there are approximately 65000 (!) beds (different prices, different standard). Look for cities like Swarzedz, Kornik or Steszew which are within 45-60 minutes' driving distance from the city center. When You have a car that distance should not be a problem. Most expensive hotele in Poznan will charge You even over 750€ per night! But don't worry - You are going to find a room for one tenth of that price! And besides, food here is quite cheap. Main course in the tex-mex restaurant will cost You 4-6€ and 10€ will be enough even in the regular restaurant. A half-liter beer in a pub (try Brovaria in the Old Market!) will be just 1,5-2€. And You will find plenty of free hot-spots in the city (every shopping mall offers at least one free hot-spot).
    Third, when You use a smartphone (and are ready to cover extra expenses for the data transfer) consider downloading the following applications: 
    JAKDOJADE - a very pratical app to plan Your tips within the city (local transport), as an alternative You might need TRANSPORTOID (the advantage of which is that You can download a timetable for Poznan and Gdansk before flying to Poland).
    Any more questions?

Additional Mobile applications:
    YANOSIK or KORKOWO - when You are going to drive a lot. Both need built-in GPS to operate but give You a real-time info about the traffic.
    MOBILET (it works on nearly every mobile phone) lets You pay for a parking ticket (in the city center) and also for local transport (buses and trams).
    Last but not least, try http://www.poznan.pl/mim/public/main/index.html?lang=en for the best tourist information You can find about the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Very helpful thanks, group of us flying into Berlin so hoping the train journey isn't too strenous, the beer should help!

You have a few train connections from Berlin each day. Comfortable and not so expensive. Enjoy Your stay and good luck to Your national team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 smurifit

Hey jacqui...any tips in where to park up a camper van in poznan?? Any campsites etc??

Advertisement