Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe and Euro 2012 READ FIRST POST!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Just booked flights to Euro 2012! Who'd have thunk that the cheapest way to get there is via Oslo! (Dublin - Oslo, Oslo - Poznan is €93.40 on June 8th/9th for anybody who hasn't booked flights yet, with ryanair - thats the price for purchasing with mywirecard in order to avoid the €12 in cc charges).

How much for the overnight? Good price for a weekend trip, wouldnt want a checked bag for 4 separate flights though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

mckildare wrote: »
    How much for the overnight? Good price for a weekend trip, wouldnt want a checked bag for 4 separate flights though!

will be about €28 for accom and €32 for bus in and out of town.. so an extra €60 but i've never been to oslo and I'l lhave a full day there to check it out... hear it's pretty expensive so will be a quiet night!

Raging though was just getting all my itinary together and can't seem to find eveidence of me booking a hostel to stay in on June 10th... day of a game! booked accom in a frenzy as draw was being made... still hoping i'll find a stray email with a a booking!

Edit Booked flights home: Flying from Berlin to Amsterdam on evening of June 19th (€42) with easy jet and then from Amsterdam to Dublin on the evening of the 20th (€65) so again a chance to see a bit of a city I've never been to before!

Yeah won't be checking in a bag! bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328127144&sr=8-1 and I'll head to the laundrette once or twice along the trip, or just do my own in a hostel....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

So has anyone actually booked somewhere for their campervan in Poznan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Martyw1965

Anyone know about likely options between Lublin and Lviv. Am thinking of going to GER v DEN game in Lviv on the night of 17th.

Planning to stay in Lublin and want to be ready to take train on morning of 18th to Poznan for the IRL v ITA game at 20:45.

Are there likely to be any return coach options between Lublin and Lviv coming back immediately after the match? I would imaging there must be some Germans or Danes planning this option??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hardly worth the hassle marty. You will spend most of the time travelling. I'd go to Poznan the day before our game if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Jacqal

mini5476 wrote: »
    So has anyone actually booked somewhere for their campervan in Poznan?

Poznań Matejki 63

Insert those coordinates into Google Maps:

Parking is operated by Poznan International Fairs.

Cost for a week is 408 zl (less then 100 euros) with electric hook-up inclueded.

Later into the day they will send me an e-mail where to book the places (they will allow only 50 campers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Jacqal wrote: »
    Poznań Matejki 63

Insert those coordinates into Google Maps:

Parking is operated by Poznan International Fairs.

Cost for a week is 408 zl (less then 100 euros) with electric hook-up inclueded.

Later into the day they will send me an e-mail where to book the places (they will allow only 50 campers).
    Any more information on this?

Also, is it 408 zl per person or just 408 zl per camper?

How/where can we book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Anywhere in Gdansk cheap for the night of the match only? We were hoping to stay in one of the camping sites, but all seem to have 2-4 night minimum stays.
    Driving from France and will only make it to Gdansk the afternoon of the game, so don't won't have time to be staying somewhere to far away.

Edit: For 13 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

You're about 3 days too late :)

Booked into the Carlsberg camp site. Would have taken you up on the camper offer for some of the days if I knew :/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Anyone no of any campsites around Poznan and gdansk? the Carlsberg camps are full and Irish fan village has fell through which is a disgrace!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Martyw1965

Lojak wrote: »
    Anyone no of any campsites around Poznan and gdansk? the Carlsberg camps are full and Irish fan village has fell through which is a disgrace!!!

http://www.booking.com/hotel/pl/football-camp-2012-steps-from-the-stadium.en-gb.html?label=gog235jc;sid=2a265b12b9312d16270b915f8c1580f0;dcid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I am booking a house for myself and 7 mates in Poznan, im jusst wondcering can anyone advise me what safeguards should be taken so we arent conned? he is sending me a lease agreement to sign and then I have to send over half the money and pay other half when arriving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Martyw1965 wrote: »

Has anyone else booked this campsite? I am getting the feeling it just a load of tents in a football field but i guess i'd prefer that then paying 300€ a night for a hotel.

My plans so far is....
    Watch Croatia match in Ireland
    11th Fly to Gdansk
    12th-14th: Sightsee and stay until the morning after Spain match 15th
    15-17th: Spend 2 days in the interim in either Torun or Bydgoszcz cheaply
    17th-19th in Poznan (this is where accomodation seems to be difficult)
    Heading to Berlin on the 19th and flying home on the 20th.

Can anyone advise which is a nicer/cheaper city Torun or Bydgoszcz or another one altogether?
    Also rather than 2 nights in a tent are there any towns with hotels/hostel in a 10-20 mile radius of Poznan where people are staying with easy access in and out to Poznan?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Jacqal

Torun is definitely better alternative than Bydgoszcz. Not bad connection to Poznan (train).

As to housing in Poznan - try another thread on this forum: Euro 2012 Poland/Ukraine Travel Plans.

There's plenty of information about hostels and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aonie

Hey to all! Just here to be nice and let you know that if you need any help with staying in Gdansk for Euro 2012 you can contact me and I will try to help as good as I can. Not advertising anything here, JUST TRYING TO BE NICE :)

If you need any tips, just contact me

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenketchup

Any advice on this? Should/can we be book in advance? Well be travelling from poznan to Gdansk and then back again, any advice or anyone got similiar plans...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

use the German railways website : http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:& to work out timetable

use seat61 for steps on buying tickets. I've used http://www.intercity.pl/ but if you can find a Polish person to book them for you it's good

Ticket machines in stations are really easy to use, so maybe book tickets as soon as you land?

Might be an idea to book in advance with the crowds, also, check if u can get night trains to/from Gdansk, as it might save you money on hotel.

ps: Glowny means train station

Bogger77 wrote: »
    use the German railways website : http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:& to work out timetable

use seat61 for steps on buying tickets. I've used http://www.intercity.pl/ but if you can find a Polish person to book them for you it's good

Ticket machines in stations are really easy to use, so maybe book tickets as soon as you land?

Might be an idea to book in advance with the crowds, also, check if u can get night trains to/from Gdansk, as it might save you money on hotel.

ps: Glowny means train station

Cheers mate, yeah I reckon its better to get it sorted early, less messing when you get there!!!

Not long now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ulisses78

Hi folks!
    If You going to Poland for Euro 2012, and You need any help to find informations, book Your accommondation, or anything else, just let me know.
    I'm Polish, so for me it can be easy and I'll be glad to help. I also going for Euro 2012. Will be there beetween 4th and 18th of June. I definately going to Gdansk, for Ireland-Spain game, and maybe will be in Poznan in Ireland - Croatia match day, but not sure yet.
    So, if You need any help, feel free to write to me. I will help You, if I can.
    Come on You Boys In Green!

Any advice on this? Should/can we be book in advance? Well be travelling from poznan to Gdansk and then back again, any advice or anyone got similiar plans...?
    Hi Greenketchup!
    You shouldn't get any problems with trains. PKP (main polish railway operator) will provide 950 trains in Euro 2012 time. Traveling time from Poznan to Gdansk is around 5h 30 min (information from PKP website).
    Matchday in Gdansk is 14th of June. Kick off at 8:45pm polish time (7:45 irish time).
    You can pick following trains from Poznan to Gdansk:
    Morning - dep. 3:11 - arr. 7:19, dep. 6:12 - arr. 10:04, dep. 6:42 - arr. 11:50, dep. 8:42 - arr. 12:28, dep. 9:35 - 13:10, dep. 10:42 - arr. 14:34, dep. 10:55 - arr. 16:31. After that, another train is afternoon: dep. 14:12 - 17:44, but IMo it's too late. Important: I don't recommend train at 6:42 - because it's with transfers/changes. It can be too complicated.
    As I can see, special trains for Euro going quicker - around 4 hours instead of 5h 30min.
    On Your way back, You have train going from Gdansk to Poznan, just 25 minutes after midnight, which will arrive to Poznan at 3:46. Another train which going directly to Poznan (without transfers/changes) is at 5:06 morning, and will arrive at 9:23.
    If You want to book Your train tickets now, You can do it online here:
    https://bilet.intercity.pl/irez/
    but I'm think, that early booking is not available yet. Probably it will be available on 30 days before d-day :)
    Tickets should cost around: 51 zlotych for 2nd class, and around 60 zlotych for first class. It's around 12,20 and 14,35 € - one way ticket. I'm not 100% sure about these prices, but You shouldn't pay more than 15€ for one way ticket. You can buy tickets at train stations, and I think (and I hope !) there will be some english-speaking volunteers at trains stations.
    And one more tip: if You will be looking for trains at polish web site, remember that "GLOWNY" means "MAIN". At web site it can be for example: POZNAN GLOWNY or POZNAN GL, GDANSK GLOWNY or GDANSK GL. Trains for fans running probably only beetween main train stations.
    If You have any questions, I'll be glad to help.
    p.s. sorry if there any mistakes in english:)

• Advertisement

And some tips yet: if You folks, going to Gdansk, and want to stay for few days, You can find cheap accommondation in towns and villages at sea cost. Example: Wladyslawowo, Puck, Jastrzebia Gora, Jastarnia, Jurata, Hel... It's only 60 - 80 km from Gdansk. Buses and trains operated beetween Gdansk and these towns. You can enjoy lovely beaches and weather:) All above will be probably very crowded because summer season start in June, but it's way cheaper than in Gdansk, Gdynia or Sopot. Here You've got example:
    http://wakacje.allegro.pl/pokoje-goscinne-nad-morzem-wladyslawowo-chlapowo-i2286586475.html
    2-beds room - 110 zlotych (27 €) per room/per night
    3-beds room - 165 zlotych (41 €) pr/pn
    3- beds room with additional couch for 4th person - 185 zlotych ( 45 €) pr/pn
    apartment with 2 rooms and bathroom - 250 zlotych (61 €) pr/pn
    (to all forum moderators: it's not advertising. I don't advertise nothing here, I don't know any person from that leisure place above. It's just example).
    That place above is in Wladyslawowo. There is more in that town, also in surrounding villages - Jastrzebia Gora, Karwia, Jurata. As I said, it's only 60-80 km from Gdansk, and buses or trains tickets shouldn't cost more than 4-6 euros to get to/from Gdansk.
    If You interested, just type in Google, names of places from above. You can also check Google Maps to see distances.
    Tip no. 2: if You didn't book Your flight tickets yet, You can book them to other than Euro-home cities, and then go to Poznan or Gdansk by buses or trains. As I can see, some tickets at Ryanair website cost to Poznan and Gdansk even 300 € one - way (!!!). In the same time, You can go to Lodz or Bydgoszcz, just for 35 - 50 €. So, if You have to go to Poland, in that days, when Ryanair trying "make millions" on tickets, just think about option with Lodz or Bydgoszcz. As I said before - PKP (polish railway operator) will provide 950 trains in Euro time, so I think, will be no problem to get trains from other cities to Poznan or Gdansk. Both: Lodz and Bydgoszcz are big cities, and have great railway connections.

I think well wait another few weeks before we book anything then, thanks guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

How secure is booking.com? Can anyone put an apartment up on it?? I have booked an apartment in Gdansk for 5 nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Booking.com is my go-to site for accommodation. I've been using it for years and it's never let me down.

Jimmy, You don't have to be worry about booking.com. I been using them too, and I was very satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Ulisses78 wrote: »
    Jimmy, You don't have to be worry about booking.com. I been using them too, and I was very satisfied.
    Thanks guys. The apartment we got is very central and got it for an absolute steal compared to some of the prices going around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How secure is booking.com? Can anyone put an apartment up on it?? I have booked an apartment in Gdansk for 5 nights
    Booking.com are great to deal with.Even if there was a problem with the accommadation they would sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cian_11

Well lads,

Anyone still looking for camp sites in Poznan or Gdansk? Myself and 5 of my mates are driving from Berlin and looking to camp in both cities. Getting the feeling we've left it pretty late to find somewhere decent/affordable but can anyone point me in the right direction? If we had to stay outside either city, then as close to as possible. Dont wanna be in the wilderness away from all the atmosphere. I know its probably been mentioned on here already so sorry for the repetition.

Any help at all would be great.

Anyone heard of this place? Looking to find out if its legit:

http://accommodationpoznan2012.com/index.php?menu=1&lg=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

What is everyone doing about money? I know the kantor over there give good exchange rates but I don't fancy carrying wads of cash around with me. ATM fees will be expensive so I was thinking about a travelex cash passport, anyone have one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pa12

Advertisement