Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe and Euro 2012 READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shankill wanderer

Can anyone help me with travel links so i can purchase tickets online for the following. Im heading over to the euros and land in Gdansk at 15.05 on tuesday the 12th and i need to get to Torun via either bus or train?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 enjoypoznan

Hi All, I'm Irish - I'm living in Poznan, the so called 'fan in Poznan' - I've been lucky enough to be appointed the Cultural rep for these games. If anyone of you need any advice on either transportation to/from Poznan (e.g. to Berlin, Gdansk, Warsaw) then send me a pm... likewise if any of ye (and I'm getting the feeling there are quite a few of you out there) need information on the accommodation story (there are a few left) including the camp/campervan/caravan saga then please get in touch - I've got a blog going with City Hall on www.poznan.pl/comeandenjoy/ie so I am legit (willing to do a video skype call to prove it) , we've also got a shop just off the Market Square in Poznan where we're offering emergency help or assistance while you're over here... I remember what it was like 12 years ago when I moved over for the first time... so if anyone needs help please feel free to contact us team [at] enjoypoznan.com - all the best and wishing you all a safe and pleasant trip over here...

and for any of you wanting to know about what to do with cash - simplest reply is either use a safety deposit box over here - there are many of them about which can be rented for a few days (they're not large enough for luggage or laptops but small valuables like cash etc.) and then just use the kantors (bureau de change) they give good rates as and when you need them, plus the Euro is on a high at the moment so only change a small amount of money and a small word of warning - DO NOT CHANGE MONEY IN THE AIRPORTS OR TRAIN STATIONS THEY SERIOUSLY WILL RIP THE ARM OF YOU, don't say I didn't warn you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Would it be ok to just withdraw cash from ATMs over there??
    What ATMs should one use/avoid?

The best ATMs to use are the EURONET machines, they charge the least in my experience any belonging to any bank will charge more... I'll take a picture of some of them, there are two on my street (I live quite close to the stadium so it's handy) and I'll post the information in my blog from the City Hall website on www.poznan.pl/comeandenjoy/ie - I'll do it over the weekend ok... another thing to realise is that at the best of times these machines frequently run of cash - so plan ahead is the best motto and oh yes make sure you keep some change on you Polish shopkeepers and taxi drivers are notorious for not being able to break big bank notes (e.g. 100zl note which is approx 25 Euros and sometimes even the 50zl note which is approx 12.50 Euros)

• Advertisement

Can anyone help me with travel links so i can purchase tickets online for the following. Im heading over to the euros and land in Gdansk at 15.05 on tuesday the 12th and i need to get to Torun via either bus or train?
    I can't help you with travel to Torun unfortunately but if you need any help getting to/from Poznan, Gdansk, Warsaw or Berlin please let me know and I'll be happy to be of assistance. Besides why Torun? It has no football culture therefore no football atmosphere... and it's a bit of a family town (i.e. quiet and boring to be honest) it's not a vibrant happening place like Wroclaw, Poznan, Krakow or Gdansk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shankill wanderer

I can't help you with travel to Torun unfortunately but if you need any help getting to/from Poznan, Gdansk, Warsaw or Berlin please let me know and I'll be happy to be of assistance. Besides why Torun? It has no football culture therefore no football atmosphere... and it's a bit of a family town (i.e. quiet and boring to be honest) it's not a vibrant happening place like Wroclaw, Poznan, Krakow or Gdansk.

Wanted to stay in gdansk but the accomadation was far to expensive when i was booking last november.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeBigMan

lads, im stayin in bygocdscz, going to stay the nights of the games in the cities and get the latest/earliest trains home, would these need to be booked in advance???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Sorry to cut in with chat, but enjoypoznan got a namecheck on Today FM on Sunday during a piece about travel Euro2012 on Antoin Savage's show.

Glad you can offer assistance to the Boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Hi enjoypoznan,

Strange question maybe. But which of the polish tv stations are showing the matches free to air? will they have a game every game day? Do they broadcast over analogue (DVB-T)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Jacqal

on TVP1 and TVP2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Jacqal wrote: »
    on TVP1 and TVP2

Cheers Jacqal! you wont be sobre for the entire Euro 2012 with the amount of pints you're owed!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Jacqual

Is there anybody setting up official/unofficial campsites in Poznan
    Surely there is more campers going to be there than can fit in the 1/2 existing campsites that seem to be booked up?

Really struggling to find somewhere to park camper-van in Poznan :(

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Jacqual

Is there anybody setting up official/unofficial campsites in Poznan
    Surely there is more campers going to be there than can fit in the 1/2 existing campsites that seem to be booked up?

Really struggling to find somewhere to park camper-van in Poznan :(

http://www.carlsbergfancamp.pl/en/buy/1

I'm also trying to find out about other options

Cheers,
    I've already found those 2 but am not very impressed with the prices.

If you hear of any others, please post.

Thanks

Any idea if this one is legit??

link

Seems a bit too good to be true??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 polish_fan

I see you are looking for a cheap accommodation in Poland. I live here so I can tell you the cheapest way to go is campsite. Hotels's prices are higher than ever, I could'n believe when I saw them.

I know one that is in Gdansk, 1km in straight line from the stadium (about 2 km if you go on foot, so it's very close).

Prices there are 15 euros per person + 10 euros for area on campground (only payed once). So, for example, for 2 persons, you pay 20 euros each (for one night), and every next night costs 15 euros each. This price includes breakfast!

The thing is, they only allow 2 persons per tent. I wonder if it's cool for you, or would you like to be in, for example, 4-person tent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

We are staying 3 nights in the Carlsberg Fan Camps then 5 nights in an apartment in Gydinia and finally back to poznan for the last night but we do not yet have accomodation for that one night. Our flight is early the next morning so we were thinking of just sleeping in the airport?
    Is this a crazy idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

hupskip wrote: »
    We are staying 3 nights in the Carlsberg Fan Camps then 5 nights in an apartment in Gydinia and finally back to poznan for the last night but we do not yet have accomodation for that one night. Our flight is early the next morning so we were thinking of just sleeping in the airport?
    Is this a crazy idea?

I'm doin the same. I'm in carlsberg camp in poz and gdansk. I have 2 6am flights, just goin to stay at the airport those nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pa12

Is this a crazy idea?

go crazy!:cool:

pa12 wrote: »
    go crazy!:cool:

Also anybody know of things to do in either Posnan or Gydinia to pass away the day besides drinking of course :)
    Any go karting or water parks???

Also anybody know of things to do in either Posnan or Gydinia to pass away the day besides drinking of course :)
    Any go karting or water parks???

I know there are karts in Gdynia and Sopot. Water park is in Sopot :)

We are staying 3 nights in the Carlsberg Fan Camps then 5 nights in an apartment in Gydinia(...)

Nice, but remember there are always alternatives, such as other campsites. It's all about who has the best price. How much are you paying?

polish_fan wrote: »
    I know there are karts in Gdynia and Sopot. Water park is in Sopot :)

Nice, but remember there are always alternatives, such as other campsites. It's all about who has the best price. How much are you paying?

Camps are 30 per night and the apartment for 5 nights is 120 each which is very good value

Camps are 30 per night and the apartment for 5 nights is 120 each which is very good value

Interesting... How many people is this this apartment for? And is it 120 per person, or for whole apartment? Also, is this accommodation during match days?

About campsites, I know one when you have 20 euros per night (if you bring your own tent, if not- it's 25).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Jacqal wrote: »

This one says "The camping is avaible from 4th to 30th of july 2012" in the regulations section, also when you go to book "June/July" appears but there's only one set of dates. Anyone know what the deal with this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just wondering what ye think is the best phone company to join over there. Would be looking for maybe a GB of data and then decent rates to phone and text home. See Orange have a starter pack specially for the Euros which seems decent enough so just wonderinrg if there is anything better?

Orange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Was just on live chat to Orange there and they were very helpful. The special sim card for the Euros they have is €15 and its not worth ordering it now as it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery. For that you get

* 5 GB for surfing on Internet
    * Free calls to Orange Poland
    * Free SMS/MMS to Orange Poland
    * 50PLN for other services

I asked him about prices to call & text home and these are the costs to Ireland:

2,30 PLN/pinute
    0,62 PLN/text message

It seems like a really good deal especially if there was a few of ye over there at least ye could contact each other for free if ye were all on this network. Think I'll probably go with this deal.

Advertisement