Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Recessed Shelf Lighting

Options
  • 12-11-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

We are doing up our bathroom and going to be putting in some recessed shelves in the shower. The bathroom will be all tiled including the shelves.

Can anyone suggest a light to go in these shelves. I dont want a big ceiling one. Nice small coloured led one would be fine. I was looking at decking ones but i am afraid that if i use them i wont be able to replace them when they go due to the tiled wall.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

eclipse do an ip65 rated led decklight

http://www.sgd.ie/index.php?page=product_info&pid=133

fit it in top recess pointing down(for extra waterproofing)

make sure you protect it with an rcd(rcbo may suit better)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Cheers for that, will look into them, sorry not technically minded, whats an RCB and are these easily changeable but just screwing out ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

rcd is a safety device which protects against an earth fault(it is a regulation that all bathroom circuits have these fitted now)
    with so much water and electricity together ,this is a must
    these lights came fitted with 2metres of cable so if you leave a draw wire in place you can put a junction box in the attic and if you need to replace fitting later you can

thanks Meerkat, never thought of leaving it in the atic and a draw string! Doh, so simple.

gives me something to work with.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 me auld hse

When putting in these lights does it require access from other side of the wall etc. ideally power and bulb needs to be secure and water tight. i am putting up a second wall on a shower to put the recess in myself but wounder how all work. If i bring down a cable between the two walls and come in at he top of the recess wil this work with the power coming from the attic and back down to the switch for the bathroom. Ill get Elec guy to do wireing but he has never seen this before.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I hope you mean you are using 12 volts in the shower/bathroom. LED's should not need replacing but if they do you can slice round the mastic seal and pull the light and fitting out. Connect a new fitting and push back into place with new thin seal of mastic.The units are waterproof so the mastic is only to stop the water getting behind the tiles.
    This is what I have done outside the shower and there is no way I can rewire but I can pull the lamps out, cut off the lamp and resolder a new lamp if it ever fails.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/showerbase1.jpg
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/ST830587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BTW brightkane,

fitting an RCBO as advised is a job for a qualified person as it involves working on the fuseboard/consumer unit and is not a job for an unqualified person.

best of luck with the upgrade.

Hi Stoner, have yet to fit the lights but got a spark friend of mine to wire it al up, going o use outdoor led lights, use in footh paths, ponds ect.

he has it on its own breaker ( i think its called)!

Cheers

Advertisement