Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sram apex vs rival

• 12-11-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

i was just wondering what peoples thoughts are one the differences between these 2 groupsets. i will be building up a new bike early next year and at first was going for rival but it might now be a bit above my budget and having heard good things about apex i was considering going with it and then changing it over to my older bike at a later date when i can afford rival.but if rival is a good bit better than apex then i'll try to stick with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

granda wrote: »
    i was just wondering what peoples thoughts are one the differences between these 2 groupsets. i will be building up a new bike early next year and at first was going for rival but it might now be a bit above my budget and having heard good things about apex i was considering going with it and then changing it over to my older bike at a later date when i can afford rival.but if rival is a good bit better than apex then i'll try to stick with it.
    I can't comment on the Apex components, but I have Rival on my bike and I find it excellent. I used Shimano 105 for nearly 2 weeks and for me Rival wins. But that is also down to personal preferences more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had rival installed on my btw bike as it was only an extra €60 / 10% on apex. I had the intention of speccing apex due to it possibly being harder wearing as it is a touring up groupset as opposed to the bottom of range race groupset.
    However with that price difference I went for rival.
    Differences include apex being all aluminum, rival has carbon levers, rival brakes are "better ", as are th mechs. Apex does offer a long rear derraileur and mtb cassette compatibility. Rival is obviously lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I built up my commuter with Apex and I absolutely love it, prefer it to the Ultegra on my road bike. I don't know the difference offhand between Apex and Rival but I'd guess that it's mostly weight and finish, aka not much of a difference at all to the average rider. Not too much of a difference to the pros either.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

I have Apex on my Canyon Roadlite and i find it great, it works very well as a groupset. The only thing i'd say is, i'd rather not have the long cage version, the 32 ring on it is mad. I'd raher the small cage version with a 25 ring. Other that that though its good..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

thanks for all the replies they are starting to help so just one more ,does anyone know if you can mix and match sram components e.g. rival shifters with apex rd and 11-32 cassette or can you also run the same cassette with a rival rd and is there any difference in the shifters beside the materials(carbon fibre-rival,alloy-apex)

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies they are starting to help so just one more ,does anyone know if you can mix and match sram components e.g. rival shifters with apex rd and 11-32 cassette or can you also run the same cassette with a rival rd and is there any difference in the shifters beside the materials(carbon fibre-rival,alloy-apex)
    You can mix and match all sram components and the brakes and cassette is shimano compatible. I'm not sure how different the apex internals are to rival, afair apex is a new group and rival force red is the racing hierarchy.

Caveats : to use a mtb cassette you need a long rear deraileur. Only Apex has this as the contador reference above showed which were shifted using standard red shifters. That reference to even pros use apex should not be taken out of context of a very specific hill time trial and one particular sram sponsored rider's climbing style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

thanks ,so i'm going to stay with the rival but maybe i'll invest in 11-32 cassette and and apex rd if i decide to go mad on hills at any stage (wicklow 200)

thanks ,so i'm going to stay with the rival but maybe i'll invest in 11-32 cassette and and apex rd if i decide to go mad on hills at any stage (wicklow 200)
    Try a compact crank with a 12-27, you may not need the 32 bailout.

Advertisement