Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got suspended from Xbox Live for a month...

Options
  • 12-11-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

... because of my motto which is "Suck it and see" (reference from A Clockwork Orange). That's been there for years and supposedly someone has reported it and then another person deemed it broke the Terms of Use and/or Code of Conduct. I now can't use Live for a month.

Am I mental or is this totally wrong?

E-mail from Xbox:
    Xbox LIVE
    Notification of Temporary Suspension: Inappropriate content in your profile

[ DO NOT REPLY to this email address. It is not monitored. ]

This email is to notify you that your Xbox LIVE account privileges have been temporarily suspended due to inappropriate content in the profile for your gamertag. The inappropriate content was discovered in the Motto, Bio, Location, Name and/or Personal Picture.

The following content for the gamertag associated with this Windows Live ID was brought to our attention and was determined to have violated the Code of Conduct and/or Terms of Use:

Motto Suck it and see
    Your profile was brought to the attention of the LIVE Enforcement Team through complaints filed by other Xbox LIVE users or in the course of our operation of the service. The LIVE Enforcement Team has reviewed the complaints and other evidence regarding this content and determined it violates the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and/or Code of Conduct. Because this content is in violation, the LIVE Enforcement Team has deleted the content and issued a temporary suspension.

You have been sent a message in the Xbox LIVE Dashboard notifying you when your suspension will end. During this suspension, you will not be able to log into Xbox LIVE. Your Xbox LIVE privileges will be automatically reinstated at the end of your suspension period.

Customer Support is not able to modify or provide any further details about your suspension. Additionally, the duration of your suspension is subject to change without prior notice by the LIVE Enforcement Team if we discover additional evidence of violations.

Microsoft expects that all customers abide by the Code of Conduct. The Code of Conduct provides guidelines for appropriate behavior while using the service. Your failure to abide by the Code of Conduct in the future may result in, among other things, longer suspension periods or cancellation of your account.

You can view the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct from the Xbox LIVE Dashboard under Xbox LIVE Policies in Account Management, or by visiting http://www.xbox.com/legal/codeofconduct.htm.You can view the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use by visiting http://www.xbox.com/legal/livetou.htm.

Note: if you are not a user of Xbox LIVE, this suspension may have been enacted due to your activity in the Zune Social. You can view the Zune Social Code of Conduct by visiting http://www.zune.net/legal/codeofconduct.htm. You can view the Zune Social Terms of Service by visiting http://www.zune.net/legal/termsofservice.htm.

Thank you,
    LIVE Enforcement Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What kind of nob end complains stuff like that. Poor show by microsoft taking heed in such edjits. Who care's what your profile says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Don't forget you're dealing with a US company and in the US they take an entirely different view as to what is considered profanity. In a few big chain stores the latest Arctic Monkeys album, also called 'Suck it and See' had stickers covering the title as it was deemed offensive.

Really it's not Microsoft that's being overzealous, it's the ridiculously hyper-sensitive American culture; which at the same time in certain states permits one to carry a concealed semi-automatic weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

I'm holding onto hope that 12/11/11 refers to today and not next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Meat wrote: »
    I'm holding onto hope that 12/11/11 refers to today and not next month.
    Assuming this is your first offense, I'd imagine it's today given the content of the motto. If not then there's no harm in posting here and asking for the ban to be reduced.

As for why they do this stuff in the first place, their logic seems to be that since anyone of any age can look at other players Bios, they need to ensure they're suitable for everyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I was in a card shop a few months ago and they actually had a placard over the "rude" cards blocking them from view. If people are that sensitive I can see why Microsoft would be taking action like this, especially as its likely the people in america will sue them because poor little billy saw an offensive slogan

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Also, if your Bio only said "Suck it and See", would you really expect someone to go "Oh, that's not a sexual innuendo, it's a quote from Clockwork". No, you wouldn't.

As they say, Xbox Live is rated E for Everyone, so make sure no innuendos are placed in your profile what so ever.

I thought it was a famous-ish quote... but I definitely didn't expect anyone to look at my profile and go "Gosh, that's offensive, time to report."

It ended up being a 24-hour ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Sorry you deserved it, quote or not, you wouldnt hear something like that in a G rated movie, so you shouldnt have it in what is supposed to be an E rated profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Meat wrote: »
    It ended up being a 24-hour ban.

This is unbelievable! You did not deserve any ban at all. The phrase used above in is country is commonly used to mean try something and hopefully you will get a good result. Microsoft are operating in many durastractions and should be aware of the dialects in these countrys. Trying to defend Microsoft here is also a bit strange?

A simple Google search shows this not to be an insult.

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=suck it and see

• Advertisement

NORTH1 wrote: »
    This is unbelievable! You did not deserve any ban at all. The phrase used above in is country is commonly used to mean try something and hopefully you will get a good result. Microsoft are operating in many durastractions and should be aware of the dialects in these countrys. Trying to defend Microsoft here is also a bit strange?

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=suck%20it%20and%20see
    Would you see that quote in an E rated game? No, so you shouldn't have it in your E rated profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I thought it was a push pop advert !

Still no point having anything on your gamertag anyway, it runs the risk of getting reported by some bad loser you beat during a game.

Meesared wrote: »

Would you see that quote in an E rated game? No, so you shouldn't have it in your E rated profile.

People who take the quote to mean of offence need to look at themselves, as there is no offence in it as written. Now I'm going out for a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Not quite suck it and see, but at the end he says suck em and see and its just an ad for tablets, knew i'd heard it somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYVfRKioRo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I had the word '****' in my profile and got a 24hr ban a few months ago.

Now my bio is just a tirade of crap abusing whoever reported it in the first place :P

Surely that won't get me banned? It's nice and articulate with no rude language whatsoever... went over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules with it and so far no one has noticed.

Hopefully whoever was horrified by the word **** has now copped on to themselves...

Lol totally forgot about boards' own censorship... the word is fuck. If anyone is offended by that then please feel free to report me to a mod, you oversensitive prick. ;-)

inb4 the ban lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Xbox Live is a public domain, sure you might not see FCUK as offensive, but there are kids on it, so microsoft ban all those who violate the TOU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Vicxas wrote: »
    Xbox Live is a public domain, sure you might not see FCUK as offensive, but there are kids on it, so microsoft ban all those who violate the TOU
    Are these the same kids that do nothing but scream profanities into the mic themselves?

Thats them, but they get treated the same if you report them for verbal abuse.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thats them, but they get treated the same if you report them for verbal abuse.
    The op had no profanity in his profile and this discussion is now been side tracked by someone that deserves to be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Microsoft will be wrong in everything they do in your eyes since your ban so obviously anyone who looks like they are sticking up for them would seem strange

His ban was justified and in the grand scheme of things 24 hours isnt that bad!!Everyone knows there are some people who will jump on anything to get you banned etc so why take a chance!!

Dozyart wrote: »

Microsoft will be wrong in everything they do in your eyes since your ban so obviously anyone who looks like they are sticking up for them would seem strange

His ban was justified and in the grand scheme of things 24 hours isnt that bad!!Everyone knows there are some people who will jump on anything to get you banned etc so why take a chance!!
    This has nothing to do with me and my ban. Its what is right and what its wrong.

In this case microsoft are wrong.

You will need to explain to me were the insult is in the op quote?

There is no profanity in it like the comments above, and whatever slight is perceived is in the heads of some sick people.

As you can say he deserves the ban, I am entitled to say he does not, you call me biassed just because I feel he needs a voice in his favour as the usual names above are there defending microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Meesared wrote: »

The people who see it a something sexual are the ones with the problem. God knows what else is going through their perverted minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm kinda baffled that people are missing the issue of context here. This is XBox Live, people will not look at that phrase and go "oh, that's a quote from A Clockwork Orange" or "that dude must love the Arctic Monkies", they'll read it and assume it's being used in the same manner as the other 99.99% of instances the term "suck it...." is used. Said usage, whether you regard it as profane or not, would be deemed as breaking the Code Of Conduct found here...
    Don’t create a Gamertag, profile content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by, this includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

...for the reasons given previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

This is why i leave my profile info blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't frequent XBOX live (i'm a lone wolf hah) but XBOX community from what I've seen is a bit like living in Utah.No drinkin',no cussin' and their cultural horizons are shall we say,limited.

It's their sandbox,their rules.Fairness does not come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

You people. When you accepted the Terms and Conditions, you agreed to abide by their rules. Their rules state:

•Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

Source: Xbox LIVE Code Of Conduct.

"This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases"

Suck it up, take the ban, Microsoft exercised their rights and you were in the wrong.

Phegasus wrote: »
    You people. When you accepted the Terms and Conditions, you agreed to abide by their rules. Their rules state:

•Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

Source: Xbox LIVE Code Of Conduct.

"This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases"

Suck it up, take the ban, Microsoft exercised their rights and you were in the wrong.
    Hehe you just said "Suck it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

cml387 wrote: »
    but XBOX community from what I've seen is a bit like living in Utah. No drinkin',no cussin' and their cultural horizons are shall we say,limited.

That's a bit of a generalisation, isn't it? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bars+in+Salt+Lake+City.

Back to the original topic, however.

That being said, the OP's ban is a bit rich - The first thing that I thought of when I saw the quote was the old Andrews Antacid ads back in the day, but I could just be showing my age. :D

Shame on whoever complained about that. But as CML rightly said - Microsoft's playground, Microsoft's rules, they can take their ball and go home whenever they like and there's generally very little we can do about it. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Its unfair yes, but theres not much you can do. You're fighting on their terms.

Advertisement