Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you fail a module?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I had to take French as my elective for 1st year, everything else was taken. I did the midterm and I'm pretty sure I have no hope of passing the module, can I still go on to 2nd year if I fail and repeat the module then or would I not be allowed into 2nd year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you fail, you can resit next semester and get the credits if you pass then.

Even if you didn't pass it, you can still progress without the full 60 credits - I think 50 is enough to get you to the next stage (depending on the programme). But you will still need to get the credits at some point, to finish your degree.

Because your French is an elective, you have another option if you fail: replace it with a different elective next semester. That's the good news, but the bad news is that that option will cost you more, both in money and in time (lectures).

In general ... try to not fail. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If you get 55 credits but fail a core module, repeat it and fail it again, can you still progress and do it again in 2nd year?

Also, do any module fails in 1st year show up on your degree / transcript? even if you resit and pass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

[Jackass] wrote: »
    If you get 55 credits but fail a core module, repeat it and fail it again, can you still progress and do it again in 2nd year?
    It wouldn't prevent you progressing to the next stage, no. And yes, you could simply repeat it again. However, core modules are usually prerequisites for subsequent modules in that subject. So in the above scenario, you could find yourself in Stage 2 but not able to do one of your Stage 2 core modules because you failed a core module in first year and failed to pass the repeat. It depends on the course though.
    Also, do any module fails in 1st year show up on your degree / transcript? even if you resit and pass?
    Afaik everything shows up on your transcript. The original fail will be shown along with the fact that you later repeated it and received a capped grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

[Jackass] wrote: »

Yeah, as long as you have enough credits to continue (and you would if you only failed 1 module). If its core though, and is a prerequisite to some 2nd year modules you wouldn't be able to do them until you had passed the failed module.

I'm bot sure, can't remember if 1st year modules are on your transcript but think they are. It's an academic record of your degree in UCD after all. If that's the case then failed 1st modules would appear as well, as a *Grade*(R) once you had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It wouldn't prevent you progressing to the next stage, no. And yes, you could simply repeat it again. However, core modules are usually prerequisites for subsequent modules in that subject. So in the above scenario, you could find yourself in Stage 2 but not able to do one of your Stage 2 core modules because you failed a core module in first year and failed to pass the repeat. It depends on the course though.

Afaik everything shows up on your transcript. The original fail will be shown along with the fact that you later repeated it and received a capped grade.

Great minds ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement