Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited RAM: MySQL or MSSQL?, Win 2003 or 2008?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Between MSSQL and MySQL: Is there likely to be a significant difference in the RAM used by the same database connected to the same application?

I'm looking at deploying an application on Windows VPS in the nearish future. I'd want to use 1GB of RAM, max - 512MB would give me a lot more options really. I'd use either MSSQL 2008 Express or MySQL. The application is set up with MSSQL 2008 Enterprise atm. If there wouldn't be a significant benefit from switching I would stick with MSSQL.

Another question: There is a significant difference in the RAM used by Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (140mb vs 400mb apparently). I expect to be trying to minimise the resources being used, so 2003 would seem like the rational choice. Correct? Or would there be advantages to 2008 that might justify the bigger imprint?

Application runs on client and uses WCF webservices on .net 4.0.

General consensus from what I've read is to forget about putting mssql on anything less than 1GB really. MySQL is always said to be dependant on the database and usage though - there is no minimum.

I'm guessing the only way I can answer this really is to set up a MySQL version and compare them.

The application uses stored procedures in MSSQL mainly. Would these be straightforward to convert to MySQL? I've used MSSQL quite a bit but I havent used MySQL in 10 years :/

Advertisement