Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skewers: pointy but pointless?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Making chicken satay for dinner, and have decided to have it over some egg noodles. For that reason, I'm thinking of just frying up the chicken without threading it onto skewers first. I can quickly stir fry the meat then dump the noodles into the wok to cook altogether. Also, easier to eat - I don't have to swap between fingers and fork.

So, am I missing something by not skewering my food? All it seems to add to my mind is to make it easier to turn the diced chicken so that all sides cook even?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Separating the meat pieces with chunks of red pepper, slivers of garlic, cherry tomatoes, aubergine, courgette etc. as well as your marinade will bring the extra dimension to skewers with the flavours infusing. Also using lemongrass to skewer prawns or sticks of rosemary to skewer meat pieces can really bring it up a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Good point, Mr Magnolia, why weren't you with me in Tescos this morning when I decided to make satay? :D No, unfortunately tonight it's plain old chicken pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Other thing of course is presentation..it's a nice touch...most people will take all the contents off the skewer at the start of the meal but it looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

how are you making the satay sauce, i love it and cant find a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've used this recipe in the past and it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Or try this one - I nearly expired of happiness when I made it, it was so good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Animord wrote: »
    Or try this one - I nearly expired of happiness when I made it, it was so good. :D

That's the one I've been using :D

ETA: I went ahead and made it without skewers, a lot easier to cook, and tasted the same. Luckily, it was just me so didn't care about presentation. In fact, I didn't even wear a dinner jacket!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

corblimey wrote: »

I didn't even wear a dinner jacket!!

Now that's just disgraceful. :p

It's a great receipe - the last time I made it only about half of it actually made it to the table :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cicero wrote: »
    Other thing of course is presentation..it's a nice touch...most people will take all the contents off the skewer at the start of the meal but it looks good
    It is also a handy way to create even portions, esp. if there are a good few people.

Advertisement