Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

out for a walk today

• 12-11-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

Today I was out for a walk in the local woods and I came across loads of rubbish along the way. I just can't get over people do this. something like this in the photo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

oh my god noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I cant get over why local authorities dont install covert CCTV cameras at spots where there is regular dumping. I'm in a rural area and we regularly see this kind of casual tipping....and quite often much worse.

Hefty fines and the naming of guilty parties would discourage that kind of behaviour, although as it stands the litter wardens are already overrun. Perhaps local authorities should view the litter problem as a potential source of income?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

A woman was sick of her husband so she decided to cut him up into pieces and put him in a few black bags...she left the bags out for the binmen but was terrified they would discover what was in it.

The binmen came next morning to collect but a few minutes later they knocked on the woman's door. The woman was terrified and asked is everything ok?

The binman said "have you another black bag?"

........."Because the arse has just fell out of that one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Hate to break it to you, but we're a dirty race of people.

Drives me mental too.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I've seen a lot worse dumped around the place

Naturally the focus of this thread will be about punishing wrong doers and installing all sorts of big brother measures to make sure it won't happen when all is needed is some decent free recycling facilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

cena wrote: »
    Today I was out for a walk in the local woods and I came across loads of rubbish along the way. I just can't get over people do this. something like this in the photo

Woods are obviously haunted by mythical Traveller fairies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Woods are obviously haunted by mythical Traveller fairies.

we do have travellers in our area. I'm not saying they have do this. There was loads more rubbish around the area even an old esb pole just covers over with leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

eth0 wrote: »

Naturally the focus of this thread will be about punishing wrong doers and installing all sorts of big brother measures to make sure it won't happen when all is needed is some decent free recycling facilities
    It's not just in Ireland and the problem can be with some companys and some greedy individuals who set themselfs up as waste removal people when all they do is dump it anywhere ,even in beautiful parts of scenic Wales and England but local councils are cracking down with very heavy fines and jail sentences for some who folw up our beauty spots , town centres and citys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Dirty bastards it drives me nuts to totally irresponsible and spoiling the scenery for us all.

Fly tippers, I say execute them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

There are free recycling facilities. Just not free dumps. Of course, I'm talking about Dublin. Might be different elsewhere.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    There are free recycling facilities. Just not free dumps. Of course, I'm talking about Dublin. Might be different elsewhere.

tHE RECYCLING facilitie near me in roscommon is not free and your charged per bag/ item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I ratted on an oul fella I seen dumping a washing machine out of his car one time, felt good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

we do have travellers in our area. I'm not saying they have do this. There was loads more rubbish around the area even an old esb pole just covers over with leaves.

Yeah it might not have been them...have a root through the bags next time you're out and see if you can find an address and track down those that did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Hi

You can report location to local corp litter warden.We
    had them out this way before and they checked bags for
    letters or other incriminating information.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yeah it might not have been them...have a root through the bags next time you're out and see if you can find an address and track down those that did it.

I just can't over people would put this stuff near a river. We'v deers living in this woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If you were so inclined you could pop on a pair of gloves, go through the bag and see if there is binned letter with a name and address on it.

I don't know if it's kicked off already in certain area's, but isn't this pay-by-weight thing coming in? We're going to see a hell of a lot more of this.

Edit: nail on the head Hondo.

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Hi

You can report location to local corp litter warden.We
    had them out this way before and they checked bags for
    letters or other incriminating information.

There is one up the road from me. But he works in ballinsloe. Not sure if he would come down and look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I used to think a lot would improve if only people could be motivated to be vigilant and report the [fill in your own word, because the moderator Black Swan has told me I can't use "scumbags"] who defile our environment or what's left of it, but I was proved wrong.:)

Several years ago, I was walking down a very beautiful forest road on Coillte land when I came across a massive pile of dumped stuff. There were broken windows and frames, old clothes, and a mass of general waste. I went home, got some surgical gloves and returned to sift through it. What I found most disgusting was that there were numerous boxes, some opened, some unopened, of medicines, including a few that could be quite dangerous if a child or dog swallowed a capsule.:rolleyes:

In addition to the labels on the medicines, there were plenty of papers clearly indicating where the waste had come from.

I called Laois County Council and a very nice environment officer came over with her van. I helped her pack the stuff into about 15 black bin liners and then into the van and she thanked me for my assistance.

A couple of weeks later, I was back in Scandinavia (where littering is taken very seriously and the polluter-pays principle is rigidly applied), when she sent me an e-mail telling me that the person whose household the waste had come from was an "old fellow in bad health" and that he claimed he had paid a man, whom he said he did not know, to dispose of the waste ... No action, her superiors had decided, was being taken against him.:rolleyes:

In other words, if you try to do anything about littering in Ireland, you are at nothing, because the authorities always seem to find an excuse for inaction.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The kind of rubbish being fly-tipped tends not to be recyclable...eg. general builders' rubble and domestic waste that wouldn't go in the green bin anyhow.

Recycling facilities are not the issue here, it's just a question of economics. It's cheaper for these slobs to dump rubbish at the side of the road than to pay to have it dealt with properly.

The difficulty in bringing prosecutions is in proving that somebody actually dumped rubbish, hence my suggestion re. covert cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Free recycling someone has to pay for though. Not actually 'free'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

people are animals
    FACT
    and some people are dirty animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

exaisle wrote: »
    I cant get over why local authorities dont install covert CCTV cameras at spots where there is regular dumping. I'm in a rural area and we regularly see this kind of casual tipping....and quite often much worse.

Hefty fines and the naming of guilty parties would discourage that kind of behaviour, although as it stands the litter wardens are already overrun. Perhaps local authorities should view the litter problem as a potential source of income?

They do in Kerry, so I would imagine that it's done in other places as well.

There was TV series on a couple of years ago, where in one episode they installed a cctv camera in a popular dumping area up country somewhere. They got film of a pick-up truck dumping rubbish, but then couldn't do anything because it had false plates on it and they couldn't trace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I have a neighbor who tops this actually.
    They live in the last house of the estate. So to the side of their house is just a bit of grass, a path and a field.

Often you see trash bags on the grass by the path. Clearly thrown over the side wall. Better yet, a few months ago they got a new satellite dish installed. What was dumped in the grass the nexy day? the old rusted sky dish.

Like, there is bringing your garbage off side to a park and dumping (like in the first post) but these people just throw it over the wall with no bother on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I go to the forest park here and I'm disgusted anytime I see litter. It's not just big bags of rubbish I hate but cigarette butts, sweet wrappers and drink cans all over the place. There's a picnic area with plenty of bins but some families are too lazy to walk ten feet so leave their filth on the picnic benches or on the ground. Then there's people that do manage to make it to the bin but are too lazy to put their rubbish inside the bin so instead leave it on top of it.

Why even bother going out of your way to go somewhere scenic if you have no respect for nature? There's probably rubbish tips that are closer by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Some people are just cúnts! Dirty cúnts!

Advertisement