Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent to Buy scheme

Options
  • 12-11-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Just noticed my local county council is advertising that they are starting a rent to buy scheme. Been looking at the eligibility of it and I'm not totally clear on who is eligible.

Is it aimed at low income earners or those between a certain wage bracket? I'm an IT contractor and I've been considering buying somewhere but I can't afford a deposit and banks are probably even less likely to give a mortgage to someone like me who doesn't have a permanent job. I'm looking for a permanent job but as yet I don't have one.

What are these schemes like? Who runs them? Are they scams or are they worth pursuing?

I'm not currently on any sort of affordable housing list. I don't know if I would be eligible either to get onto that.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The banks will not see the money you build up as a viable deposit. Search here, and you'll find someone who found that out the hard way. Also, the only people to benefit are the builders.

Think of it this way: these schemes only came about when the property price started to drop.

Advertisement