Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Options
  • 12-11-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

Hey does anybody have any idea when this game comes out in Ireland because some websites say it's out already & others say it isn't out until February 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Delayed in Europe til Feb 2012. If you've a PS3 just import it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's already released in Japan and the States. Won't be released in Europe until February. Import it if you can't wait til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

I can wait something to look forward gaming wise for February. I guess Skyrim will have to fill the void until then lol

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Willbbz wrote: »

Not sure about xbox games being region free?? Best check out play asia's list of compatible games

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I can't understand why there is a long delay. They've already been translated so its a bit odd really.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Xbox version will not work on a PAL console. PS3 one will though.

Guess I'll wait until February to be safe, it's not like there aren't enough new titles out at the moment to keep me entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

PS3 is my first Sony console and so never played a MGS game before. I picked up MGS4 and played it for about on hour most of which consisted of cut-scenes. I didn't have clue what was going on, not knowing any of the characters or back-story, so I never got into it and stopped playing.

Do you reckon this collection will be a good place to pick it up again?

sink wrote: »
    PS3 is my first Sony console and so never played a MGS game before. I picked up MGS4 and played it for about on hour most of which consisted of cut-scenes. I didn't have clue what was going on, not knowing any of the characters or back-story, so I never got into it and stopped playing.

Do you reckon this collection will be a good place to pick it up again?

Absolutely, also but the original Metal Gear Solid from the PSN store (if it's still there not sure) or a Gamecube with a copy of the Twin Snakes. These along with the collection will inform you of the story before you play MGS4. Metal Gear has probably one of the best video game plots ever in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

Yes, Play it in the order

MGS3 (Snake Eater)
    MGS1 (Twin Snakes)
    MGS2 (Sons of liberty)
    Then MGS4

That's the best order and the way they should be played :)

nathancool wrote: »
    Yes, Play it in the order

MGS3 (Snake Eater)
    Peace Walker
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear: Solid Snake

MGS1 (Twin Snakes)
    MGS2 (Sons of liberty)
    Then MGS4

That's the best order and the way they should be played :)

Better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Play them in the order they were released so you can have the same grasp of the story as everyone else, that and the fact that the gameplay can change drastically from one title to the next. Don't play them in the order the story was sequenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Playing/watching something in chronological order is for scrubs.

Play MGS (not Twin Snakes), MGS2, 3 and then 4. Don't bother with Portable Ops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Was going to borrow my friend's PSP to play Peace Walker but now I won't have to bother. Roll on February! I'm told Peace Walker is the best MGS ever made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

aaronh007 wrote: »
    It's already released in Japan and the States. Won't be released in Europe until February. Import it if you can't wait til then.

Hi aaronh007,

Do you know of any sites that will import the game to Ireland ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Try videogamesplus.ca

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Try videogamesplus.ca

Thanks Ill check that out.

Do you know if their are any issues between pal and ntsc versions of the game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I wouldn't be able to play in that Chronological order either, due to the graphical changes .
    At least by release, it is ever improving.

Also, you won't get certain references to the other games if you don't play how they were released.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Jumboman wrote: »
    Thanks Ill check that out.

Do you know if their are any issues between pal and ntsc versions of the game ?

PS3 is region free.
    360 is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

DO NOT PLAY IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER!!!!

If the games were meant to be played in chronological order, they would have been released that way. If it's your first playthrough, play in the order

Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2
    Metal Gear Solid (NOT Twin Snakes, Twin Snakes, while good, is not how the first game is meant to be played, the features added in TS such as hanging from railings make it too easy.)
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

First two are optional I suppose, and you might want to add in Peace walker.

It's perfectly fine if you know the story to play in chronological order, but if you do it on your first run through, you'll go insane, you get used to playing with MGS3 features, only to have them taken away in 2, only to have these taken away again in 1. Hideo released them in this order for a reason.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It's around €45 delivered here.

I already have Sons of Liberty and Subsistence but I can't play them on the PS3 so I may get this at some point. Had no idea Peace Walker was on PS3 until I started checking MGS stuff again after the Reveangance (ugh that title) trailer came out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

For anyone new to metal gear who wants to start games in order this is the way the series goes:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    Metal Gear Solid (The Twin Snakes)
    Metal Gear Solid: Rising
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Note though you dont need to worry about portable ops , metal gear or metal gear 2 .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

For anyone new to metal gear who wants to start games in order this is the way the series goes:

Metal Gear
    Metal Gear Solid (The Twin Snakes)

Note though you dont need to worry about portable ops , metal gear or metal gear 2 .

FYP - Stay away from Twin Snakes.

Metal Gear
    Metal Gear Solid

FYP.:cool:

Play them in the order they were released. Not chronologically. If they were meant to be played chronologically then Hideo would have released them chronologically.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    FYP.:cool:

Play them in the order they were released. Not chronologically. If they were meant to be played chronologically then Hideo would have released them chronologically.

You can play them anyway you want , just cause kojima decided not to do it chronologically doesnt mean you shouldnt play it that way , doesnt make a difference in the slightest

F1ngers wrote: »
    FYP - Stay away from Twin Snakes.

Snake do you think love can bloom...even on a battlefield ?:pac:

You can play them anyway you want , just cause kojima decided not to do it chronologically doesnt mean you shouldnt play it that way , doesnt make a difference in the slightest

We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. :) This isn't really the thread for it though.

Can't wait to get my hands on this collection. Have no idea what happened my copy of Subsistence, so will be nice to have 3 back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It kinda does to be honest. Going from MGS3 where you can aim in first-person, use CQC, hang off railings, hide guards in lockers etc... to MGS1 would be incredibly frustrating. Then MGS2 which only adds in some of those features.... Can be pretty frustrating.

You can play it any way you want, obviously. But I have to agree that it's better, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story (eg some character's appearances or dialogue in MGS3 are based on what the player has already experienced from MGS1 and MGS2) to play in the order they were released. For a series of games which is so focused on story, playing them for the first time (or even after not having played them in a few years) in chronological order makes sense logically, but you won't get the best experience from it that way.

• Advertisement

I suppose , havent thought of it that way .. I take back what i said so :pac: , anywho its best the collection out february , gives me enough time to save money , best to keep mgs 2,3 in best condition ;)

Advertisement