Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You cheated on the End? He wasn't that tough and it was the highlight of the game, cheating past him is missing out.

Heh... I'll spoiler this so it doesn't ruin it for anyone but on my second playthrough,
    when you first see him I sniped, and killed him. He seemed to blow up and fly into the air and after a few seconds got hit by his falling wheelchair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Well my Metal Gear Solid 2 is "Sons of Liberty".

metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-ps3-boxart.jpg

Well that says MGS3: Snake Eater as well, from what I gathered from the IGN review the VR Missions from MGS2 are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Well that says MGS3: Snake Eater as well, from what I gathered from the IGN review the VR Missions from MGS2 are there.

i cant find the skateboarding game though, that was a deadly mini game. A pity MGS1 is not on the disc, i know it can be downloaded from PSN, but would have been great to have them all on the 1 disc

• wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Well my Metal Gear Solid 2 is "Sons of Liberty".

metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-ps3-boxart.jpg

All vr and bonus missions are included

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The HD collection version of MGS 2 is based off Substance version.
    MGS3 is based off Subsistance version.

Its been confirmed that the skateboard mini game from the PS2 version of MGS2 Substance is missing from the HD collection as was the case with the Xbox and PC versions when they where first released. It remains a PS2 exclusive. It also doesn't contain the document of Metal Gear Solid 2, which came on bonus DVD orginally.

MGS3 Subsistence is missing the Secret Theatre, Boss Survial Mode, MGS Online mode (which no longe works on PS2 anymore anyway) as well as the Snake vs Monkey mini game.
    The nightmare sequence has also been cut from the HD collection.

The only difference with Peace Walker is they improved the controls to allow the use of the second analog stick.

Improvements are obviously running at 720p at 60fps. Touched up graphics and achievements, trophies.

If you wondering what changes where made the main game in MGS 2 Substance, I think it was simply changed the color of the thermal goggles as well as the location and names of dogtags.

The difference between MGS 3 and Subsistence was the inclusion of a 3D camera.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Also to play the series in order, it goes as follows.

Metal Gear Solid: 3/Subsistence/3D
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    Metal Gear Solid/Integral/The Twin Snakes
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty/Substance
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The camera for MGS3 is the main reason I want this.

Just for all of you who haven't played Peace Walker - it is class.

Now the story is more simplistic than the other two (which is not bad thing) but some of the boss battles can be epic (although they get a little competitive in the optional ops).

Storywise its an excellent little bridge between what we know about Snake after Snake Eater/Portible Ops to what he eventually becomes in Metal Gear.

The gameplay is short bursts though and I wonder will that seem really off on a home console (it was grand for the PSP). But it had a real gotta catch em all feeling to it. Certainly the most addictive Metal Gear I have played.

When I bought Metal Gear Solid 3 several years back for the PS2, I also bought the Soundtrack CD because it had extra camouflage on the disc that when inserted into the PS2 it copied the necessary files over, i tried using this disc on the PS3 but it would not install.

Anyone know if theres a way to do this ?

Azza wrote: »
    Also to play the series in chronological order, it goes as follows.

Metal Gear

FYP ;)

Pssst!....playing in the above order makes no sense, but there's no telling some people! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

noodler wrote: »

Storywise its an excellent little bridge between what we know about Snake after Snake Eater/Portible Ops to what he eventually becomes in Metal Gear.

Wait isn't the snake in snake eater
    Big Boss and not the one from later games in the timeline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

calex71 wrote: »
    Wait isn't the snake in snake eater
    Big Boss and not the one from later games in the timeline

Yes it is.
    I am like yourself, unsure as to what Noodler is referring to
    maybe the evolution of Big Boss from a character we like, to the end baddy in the NES games (as he's not in the PS1/PS2 versions) ....so I assmume when he refers to 'Metal Gear' he means the NES

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    I am like yourself, unsure as to what Noodler is referring to
    maybe the evolution of Big Boss from a character we like, to the end baddy in the NES games (as he's not in the PS1/PS2 versions) ....so I assmume when he refers to 'Metal Gear' he means the NES

Ah that sounds about right. I'm sure that's what he was talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever you do don't play the NES metal gears. God awful turds. The MSX ones are the best, and included in the collection as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

When I bought Metal Gear Solid 3 several years back for the PS2, I also bought the Soundtrack CD because it had extra camouflage on the disc that when inserted into the PS2 it copied the necessary files over, i tried using this disc on the PS3 but it would not install.

Anyone know if theres a way to do this ?

The Subsistence edition (which is on the HD collection) came with all the downloadable camos, so it's probably already preloaded in the game somewhere.

Could be wrong though, as I'm still waiting to get a copy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Also to play the series in order, it goes as follows.

Metal Gear

Hang on, hang on. I thought there were only 3 games in the HD collection? Obviously Guns of the Patriots won't be included, lbut are the other ones in there?

Actually, what exactly is included??? I loved 2, and played 4, but couldn't get into 3 so didn't give any of the rest of them a go (until 4).

Hang on, hang on. I thought there were only 3 games in the HD collection? Obviously Guns of the Patriots won't be included, lbut are the other ones in there?

Actually, what exactly is included??? I loved 2, and played 4, but couldn't get into 3 so didn't give any of the rest of them a go (until 4).

2, 3 and peacewalker are on there, but MGS3 is substance edition so it has Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (solid snake) from 87, and 90 on there too. SO 5 games is correct.

If they could put those on makes you wonder why not metal gear solid :(

I was the same as you re: MGS3 until I played it in this incarnation , now I buy into it's the best of the lot brigade.

Redlion wrote: »
    The Subsistence edition (which is on the HD collection) came with all the downloadable camos, so it's probably already preloaded in the game somewhere.

Could be wrong though, as I'm still waiting to get a copy :p

ive completed the game a few times now, and yes there are camos that can be collected and earned that could not be got without downloading on the PS2, but so far i'm still missing:

Santa, Valentine, Dododo, Night Desert, Rock, Soviet Woodland, Banana, Desert Tiger

If i remember correctly i also had an "Action Replay CD" for the PS2 which gave everything including all camos

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

ive completed the game a few times now, and yes there are camos that can be collected and earned that could not be got without downloading on the PS2, but so far i'm still missing:

Santa, Valentine, Dododo, Night Desert, Rock, Soviet Woodland, Banana, Desert Tiger

If i remember correctly i also had an "Action Replay CD" for the PS2 which gave everything including all camos

That's strange. They're not hidden somewhere in the menus by any chance like the PS2 edition? Bit miffed if they are missing completely to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The nightmare sequence has also been cut from the HD collection.

:eek:

WHAT?

First time I played the game, I saved right before that and turned it off. Next day when I turned it on, I was in the nightmare bit. Had no f*cking idea what was going on :D

Damn... I was looking forward to playing it again.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

calex71 wrote: »
    2, 3 and peacewalker are on there, but MGS3 is substance edition so it has Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (solid snake) from 87, and 90 on there too. SO 5 games is correct.

If they could put those on makes you wonder why not metal gear solid :(

I was the same as you re: MGS3 until I played it in this incarnation , now I buy into it's the best of the lot brigade.

I think MGS1 wasn't included because it's on PSN. I agree that it would have been great to have them all on one disc, but at the same time, I would have preferred if they included Portable Ops instead in the same way they included Peace Walker. At least then you have the option of playing all the Metal Gear games (bar Ac!d, which doesn't count) on a Playstation 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Playing Portable Ops on PSP is one of the most miserable gaming experiences of my life. All it needs are proper camera and movement controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Cant wait to pick this up, especially for the chance to enjoy MGS3 all over again. Everything about it is epic, including the theme music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

DarkJager wrote: »
    Cant wait to pick this up, especially for the chance to enjoy MGS3 all over again. Everything about it is epic, including the theme music :D

♫ Snaaake Eaaateeer ♫

Can't wait to get this.

Yeah... I'm listening to this in a computer lab in college.... having to restrain myself at the moment so as not to embarrass myself. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Yeah... I'm listening to this in a computer lab in college.... having to restrain myself at the moment so as not to embarrass myself. :pac:

:D:D:D yeah it ain't a track you'd have on loud in public or pumping out of the car, but for the game itself it's an amazing intro (and will send shivers down your spine when it starts in the final boss fight - one moment I just can't wait to play again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In fairness, peace walker is a much better PSP game than portable ops :P but it does run best on PS3. Shocking how much dual analogue sticks change the game. Exciting that its coming to the vita really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Where the frack is the snake eater intro??

Fired it up twice, definately kept my hands off the buttons - no intro?!

Just got my hands on my copy last night. Unfortunately my Xbox is in my house in Limerick so can't play 'til tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

efla wrote: »
    Where the frack is the snake eater intro??

Fired it up twice, definately kept my hands off the buttons - no intro?!

You mean with the song and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

cloud493 wrote: »
    You mean with the song and stuff?

Yes, I remember it had a bond-ish intro - was looking forward to seeing it again

Advertisement