Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband unstable, keeps dropping connection

• 12-11-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

181156.png

Anyone have any advice or ideas to improve the stability of my connection.
    Everytime I go online on xbox live the connection drops off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Your DSL Signal Margin (AKA Signal to noise ratio) is appalling, at 5 dB on the downstream - anything below 10 will cause serious issues - you need to log a fault with Eircom, to get them to eliminate the noise on your line.

You line attenuation isn't great at 30 dB on the downstream, but that is usually due to the length of the line. However, it is entirely possible to have attenuation of 30 dB and have a better SNR than 5 dB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't know if it applies to you, but with Eircoms routers there (used to be, and may still be) and issue where the router kept disconnecting and reconnecting for a millisecond every 30 minutes or so. No big issue when browsing, but kicks you from XBL or PSN. I went through 3 "new" routers (Netopia) and all with the same issue. The installer finally gave me his old router and it worked fine...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As Type 17 says above it looks like the low snr is the problem.

You need to go on to a lower speed.

Have a read here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Advertisement