Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected miming at a concert.

Options
  • 12-11-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, I attended a concert last night and it seemed to me that the band were not actually playing their instruments and that the singer was miming and only singing parts of the songs.

As a consumer do I have any rights?

Obviously this is difficult to prove but surely if they are miming then this should be stated on the tickets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't think you're entitled to anything i'm afraid. Even if it was confirmed lip syncing I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on.

What makes you think it was lip-synced if I may ask? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Thanks for the reply. It's not so much about being entitled to anything, I just feel that it's misleading.

I bought the tickets to see a live show and I don't believe that I got what I paid for.

The vocals sounded too smooth and the guys on guitars seemed like they were pretending to play. There was a guy on stage using a laptop (which is normal as they use a drum machine), but the whole set up smacked of karaoke and it felt like I was listening to a CD.

The band appeared on stage in a cloud of smoke - all good - but then huge amounts of the smoke was piped on stage to the extent that the band were hardly visible. It looked like they were covering up their foul attempts to keep up with the backing track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You pay to see a performance and that's what you got. Disappointing if they didn't a live performance.

Unless it's in a big venue with a good deal of distance between you and the performer it would be difficult to tell.

Would it have been a boy band?

Hi thanks for the reply. It wasn't a boy band it was the Sisters of Mercy. There is a thread about it in the Gigs and Events forum.

I had seem them live before and they were not like that.

The gig was in the Olympia and so I wasn't that far away from them.

I just find it hard to believe that they can get away with that sort of 'performance'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

It would be great to take on one of these 'performances'. I suppose it's the difference between 'will be appearing live' & 'will be performing live'.

It just seems that when you buy a concert ticket you are assuming that the band will be live. Thankfully most musicians have pride and professionalism and want to give the best performance for their fans.

When this is not the case it seems that there isn't anyone or any organisation to turn to.

Can't complain to the band - they have taken the money and run.

Can't complain to the venue owner - they were only renting space.

Can't complain to the promoter - technically the band were there.

Can't complain to the ticket seller - no where on the tickets does it state what exactly you can expect.

It is an unusual consumer area where you pay €€€'s and have nothing concrete on what you are actually buying and no comeback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mystika121 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply. It wasn't a boy band it was the Sisters of Mercy. There is a thread about it in the Gigs and Events forum.

I had seem them live before and they were not like that.

The gig was in the Olympia and so I wasn't that far away from them.

I just find it hard to believe that they can get away with that sort of 'performance'

Jeez, they'd be brave to lip sync at that distance. Boy bands tend to be good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi OP,

I was there- totally agree it wasnt live...they are known for backing tracks and that but I was really disappointed, looked forward to seeing them for years and to be honest, spent more time outside having a ciggie or in at the bar.

Never again!

Advertisement