Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pension and means test

• 12-11-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am well over 70 and a citizen. I applied for the non-contributory pension six months ago. The social welfare inspector has asked for bank records of the past year, which I supplied. If it's means tested, why does he want to know what I spent my money on? I would think it has to do with current means, not what I once had, and what I did with it. I have a small UK pension as only income, and do not work anymore.

How long can the process take? Is there a time limit? Should I have a solicitor?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The non contributory State Pension is a means tested pension.
    Your means are assessed using specific rules under the following headings:
    • Cash income (including, income from work)
    • Value of capital (for example, savings, investments, cash on hand and property but not your own home)
    • Income from property personally used
    Cash income

Any cash income you have is assessed in the means test. This includes income from a social security pension from another country. However, certain items of cash income are not taken into account in the means test. For example, earnings of up to €200 per week from employment (but not self-employment) are not taken into account. Any income from work above €200 is assessed as means.
    Payments you get under the Farm Retirement Scheme and income from property already assessed on its capital value are also not taken into account.
    More information is available in our document about cash income not taken into account in the means test.

It is normal to be asked to produce banks statements for the past year in order to get an overview of an individual's situation and to make sure that they haven't stashed some cash away in order to qualify for SPT.

6 months seems a bit excessive, have you called them to find out what's causing the delay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Declan203

Thanks.

I read that information on line before I applied. I do get the over-70 pass and phone amount.

I heard from the inspector last week, asking for more information. He may think I have income undeclared. I have no home or capital assets - does my computer count? If it drags on much longer I think I'll apply for some sort of immediate aid. Is the pension retroactive to application date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Declan203 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I read that information on line before I applied. I do get the over-70 pass and phone amount.

I heard from the inspector last week, asking for more information. He may think I have income undeclared. I have no home or capital assets - does my computer count? If it drags on much longer I think I'll apply for some sort of immediate aid. Is the pension retroactive to application date?

No pc doesn't count or car for that matter. If granted your pension would normally be back dated from receipt of your application.

Advertisement