Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Bankruptcy sale?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I got a flyer through the door earlier advertising an "Autumn bankruptcy sale" in a hotel here in Monaghan tomorrow. Apparently they are selling excess Argos UK stock or something strange like that.

It's probably the most suspicious flyer I've ever seen through the door (besides the usual clothes collector ones). I'm pretty convinced that it's a con, but can someone confirm that it's either a con job or the best sale in the world? Because it has such good deals on it I'm really intrigued, but as the saying goes if it's too good a deal, it probably is.

Image of flyer - 6338455162_6917f62c64.jpg
    IMG_20111112_205749 by Edenane, on Flickr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Its all returned stock . Argos put everything into pallets and auction them off. Often the goods will be faulty . Other times its just change of mind but the box is damaged etc.

Not worth the risk IMO. Because they call it an auction if there are any problems you haven't a hope of getting your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Edenane

They don't call it an auction, they are calling it a bankruptcy sale. Then it gets stranger because the flyer says that "due to the economic downturn we have not met our sales targets. The directors have decided that all stock must be sold regardless of cost offering value to our customers", so it's NOT a bankruptcy sale.

I just don't get it, it doesn't seem legal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I wouldnt buy anything there with your money...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I wouldnt buy anything there either. But atleast its free in, bring €10 cash with you, go along for a look and if you do end up spending the €10, it only a €10 loss.
    Do not turn up with €200 cash, you'll regret spending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Theirs a thread in the carlow section about a similar thing http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72751268

They've also done them around kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd also take note of the car regs of the organizers (although I bet they'll be UK plates)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

there was one in limerick last week, check out the limerick fourm, the same game just different flyers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Its all returned stock . Argos put everything into pallets and auction them off. Often the goods will be faulty . Other times its just change of mind but the box is damaged etc.

Not worth the risk IMO. Because they call it an auction if there are any problems you haven't a hope of getting your money back

The notice shows a PS2.....overstock ya right, how long ago since a PS2 was in stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

con job

Dyson for 50 euro yeah right !!! a ps3 worth over 200 euro for only 60 euro wow !!!! What a very old scam.
    Different era same old con greed with some people
    they think they will get items worth lots for a few euro!!!!!!.
    the con goes as follows .......
    they will open the event selling rubbish then turn the show into full con mode.. then turning on the flim flam... then the will offer a mystery once in a life time offer(rubbish item in a sack) which will be rubbish then they will say thank you and good night........then leave laughing......

They will be also plants in the audience that will fool everyone into thinking they got a crazy bargain.
    which will all leaving joe the punter feeling stupid.!!!!!

Only the greedy will turn up at this and i hope they all get fleeced .
    because they deserve it i do not feel sorry for anyones greed.
    Times are indeed tough this Christmas but have your head on and save up for that gift its not going to be handed to you.

This con is a very old one and relys on greed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

sher55 wrote: »
    con job

Dyson for 50 euro yeah right .
    they will open the event selling rubbish then turning on the flim flam .
    they will have everyone biting on the hook

Only the greedy will turn up at this and i hope they all get fleeced .

they usually do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

no doubt it will be run by a certain Carlow-based company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Argos are still in business so how can there be a 'bankruptcy sale' of 'ex-Argos stock'?

These sales have been going on since the 70s, they get people into a hall, close the doors, whip them up into a frenzy and then flog complete junk at ripoff prices. None of the items in the flyer will be offered at the advertised prices and if you attempt to ask them to deliver on their promses you will be unceremoniously turfed out on to the street.

Note the flyer says that there is a 12 months manufacturer's warranty and there is no postal address, just an 087 number. Try contacting the manufacturer in Taiwan when the cheap SatNav or Radio packs up!

Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭lau1247

been to something similar before..

basically some people do get some stuff cheap.. whether it is fixed or not, that's another story.. I personally believe it is fixed.. i.e. have people they know to blend in the crowd.

Of the very good stuff like TVs, the price will not be as cheap as it seems..

How they make money is by doing a few mystery prize initially (not stuff from the flyers) and then give good prize on those.. Once everyone get comfortable enough/temped to do the next one, everyone pays and few ticket were drawn, all you get is crap mp3 player

definitely a scam in a way.. i'd suggest go down to have a look but don't be tempted or part with your money in anyway and you can see how they operate

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Might be a new name on it, but it's the same old scam. Nothing branded will be sold to anyone except plants, the punters will get cheap knock off products at inflated process. Stick to euro2 for your cheap stuff, at least you know what it is and the price is real.

Advertisement