Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

140k a year jobs in ozzie land

• 12-11-2011 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1112/australia.html

nice... tax is a bitch there, my friend in WA is getting raped with tax.

they want over 100 candidates but id say Ireland would have 100,000 eager punters with qualifications there for em

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Leaning on shovels and getting paid for it, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The grass is never greener on the other side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ruu wrote: »

That's the council you're thinking of there. Construction workers get sacked if they do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its foremen jobs and management jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

orourkeda wrote: »
    €140k a year V €188 a week
    Sun V Rain

Technically the grass is greener here but theoretically it would definitely be greener over in Oz if you where in that line of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You'd have very little after tax. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Ruu wrote: »

they are skilled jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Australia, its a great place to live/work.
    Id do the same job I do here, for less money over there of I got the chance!

Dam wife won't emigrate!

Grumble grumble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

they want over 100 candidates but id say Ireland would have 100,000 eager punters with qualifications there for em

I can never understand why people have to use that word to express a non-related negative experience.

Is there no other verb that you could use to describe what is, in reality, a much lesser bad experience?

There are countless. Seriously, think about it.

its greener where I am, Ireland had funk all jobs for me and I got a masters. all my mates have legged it.

I miss the folk but whats to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

seven aussie bucks for a bananna :eek:, this sets the marker.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You'd have very little after tax. :p

about ca 38,000 eu on tax, give or take

kraggy wrote: »
    I can never understand why people have to use that word to express a non-related negative experience.

Is there no other verb that you could use to describe what is, in reality, a much lesser bad experience?

sorry, i blame souness. :pac:

flutered wrote: »

source?

I don't think so.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

a lot of friends and family have headed down there for work and they have all commented that it is VERY expensive to live there. Wages are high for a reason, bar workers are getting 20-30 dorrar an hour, but apparently you need it because after tax and the cost of bananas etc, it's not a cheap place to be..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I'd say a lot of people will be applying for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Simple solution. Sell bananas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

RTE keeps saying people are needed to work in OZ but Oz keeps saying they aren't:confused:

al28283 wrote: »
    RTE keeps saying people are needed to work in OZ but Oz keeps saying they aren't:confused:

Shortage of wizards though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Four aussie bucks for a kilo of bananas :eek:, this sets the marker.

Fixed that for ya :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

source?
    a mate on the fone each and every week, btw he has no work for the next three weeks, his employer told him yesterday, would the man get away with this in paddys land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ghandee wrote: »
    I don't think so.

Source?

16 dollars for 4 bananas from a lad working in a quarry. But he's in the middle of nowhere so you pay crazy money for anything 'fancy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

The high price of bananas is due to the cyclone. I wouldn't use it as a yardstick to measure the cost of living by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biftek

aussie here, i can confirm that bannana go for $7 a kilo , on a good week you might pick them up for $6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It RTE for FFS, they haven't a clue when it comes to Oz they really make me laugh when the come out with such crap. Sure it was only last year they were claiming that tens of thousands of Irish people are migrating to Australia every year when in fact since July 2008 there has been less than 10,000 Irish people migrated to Australia.

Typical RTE BS
    An Australian company is looking for over 100 Irish construction foremen and site managers to work on the country's largest natural gas project.

What they are going to go to London and Manchester and specifically just hire Irish construction workers? Why not just go straight to Dublin if they are looking 100 Irish worker and not waste time in London & Manchester.

Unless they are maybe going hire 30 from each city, which means the English are in with a chance of 60 of the jobs. But then 30 doesnt sound as good as 100.

$140K+ is probably for a white collar Civil Engineer, your average trades man might get around $90K-115K, a labourer turning up with a shovel and hard hat is hardly going met the visa conditions as Labourer is not on any list. The condition of getting a sponsored visa is that no suitable Local can fill the position.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

$140K you would lose $39750, that's 28%

Thats true is a sunburnt yellow this time of the year.

Must have been a big banana, over 1 kg?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I dont know why everyone thinks Australia is the land of endless work.
    You might get paid big wages, but you work the hours to get them.
    Four weeks on, one week off with 12 hour days, living in a horrible workers camp.
    And it is definatly expensive to live there, myself and the girlfriend were paying $310 a week for a tiny studio apartment, literally one room and a bathroom.
    Iv seen red peppers, capcicums as they call them going for $17.99 a kg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biftek

chrismon wrote: »
    Four weeks on, one week off with 12 hour days, living in a horrible workers camp.
    And it is definatly expensive to live there, myself and the girlfriend were paying $310 a week for a tiny studio apartment, literally one room and a bathroom.
    $310 geez where were you staying? what city were you staying in , were you living in inner city or out in the suburbs? inner city is expensive compared to the suburbs

horrible wokers camps , four weeks on 1 week off sounds , 12 hr shifts , sounds like you were working out in the mines

and red peppers/capcicums at $18 a kg again where you were staying ?

endless employment in Australia is out in the mines , good money but you work for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

yes but there the ones the giraffes lay, hard to come by.

• Advertisement

I was living in Bowen, North Queensland.
    Really small country town, full of rednecks :pac:
    They actually grew capcicums in the town, prices were ridiculous.
    I wasnt working in the mines, but I did maintenance work in the camps and mines as a sparky. You right there is endless work in the mines.
    You definatly do work for it, people think its easy work.
    I dont understand how people can decide to move their families to Australia for good when they have never even set foot in the place before :rolleyes:

I was living in Bowen, North Queensland.
    Really small country town, full of rednecks :pac:
    They actually grew capcicums in the town, prices were ridiculous.
    I wasnt working in the mines, but I did maintenance work in the camps and mines as a sparky. You right there is endless work in the mines.
    You definatly do work for it, people think its easy work.
    I dont understand how people can decide to move their families to Australia for good when they have never even set foot in the place before :rolleyes:

are you being serious, have you never watched neighbours, it says it all, i'm on the next available wind shift.

You mean like this type of Capsicum? https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

Look Australia is expensive especially if you are there for a holiday due to the exchange rate, but I have lived here for 7 years and there has been an increase over that time but not that much.

The Euro and GBP pound is more devalued against the $Au so it seems more expensive.

$310 pw for a studio is pretty savage, sounds very like somewhere around The Bondi Trap.

I live in the Sydney Hills and a 3 BR townhouse in my street is $450 pw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

$140K you would lose $39750, that's 28%

You could take $2100 off that as we claim the Medicare Levi back, we cannot avail of this service....
    You would also try to claim for LAHA "living away from home allowance" ;)

How about we forget about the bananas !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

tax is a bitch there, my friend in WA is getting raped paying normal levels of with tax.

fyp.

mandrake04 wrote: »

$310 pw for a studio is pretty savage, sounds very like somewhere around The Bondi Trap.

Like I said above I lived in North Queensland, I wouldnt mind paying that in Bondi for the studio.

$450 a week is really good for a 3 bedroom townhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mykal23

The Aussies wont import bananas and their last crop was wiped out by major storms so prices are very high for this and probably next year. It doesn't represent prices as a whole.

paul moore wrote: »
    You could take $2100 off that as we claim the Medicare Levi back, we cannot avail of this service....
    You would also try to claim for LAHA "living away from home allowance" ;)

How about we forget about the bananas !!!

Yeah if you have a pile of deductions you get a rebate back at the end of the year.

I paid $31K in tax last year and got $6K back in July and I still paid the Medicare Levi.

It's swings and roundabouts.

Like I said above I lived in North Queensland, I wouldnt mind paying that in Bondi for the studio.

$450 a week is really good for a 3 bedroom townhouse.

$310pw in Bowen sounds like a furnished holiday studio, you would probably pay $500 for a studio in Bondi and it would probably be crap anyway. Think that would include the idiot tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

i was in brisbane for the start of this year and bananas were definitely 15.99 a kilo in coles at one stage and red peppers were 9.99.Pints are 10 dollars a pint of pure blonde in the good bars vodka was 10 dollars down the valley and 5 dollar charge for credit card transactions, eating out was very expensive too, in saying that labouring jobs are about 30 dollars an hour plenty of it going too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Why is everyone so obsessed with the price of bananans? :confused:

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    i was in brisbane for the start of this year and bananas were definitely 15.99 a kilo in coles at one stage and red peppers were 9.99.Pints are 10 dollars a pint of pure blonde in the good bars vodka was 10 dollars down the valley and 5 dollar charge for credit card transactions, eating out was very expensive too, in saying that labouring jobs are about 30 dollars an hour plenty of it going too

$30 is not that great the average wage is $34, Pure blonde is about $5.50-$6 a schooner in most places around Sydney. My local RSL does it for $4.50.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Why is everyone so obsessed with the price of bananans? :confused:

its important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

$30 is not that great the average wage is $34, Pure blonde is about $5.50-$6 a schooner in most places around Sydney. My local RSL does it for $4.50.
    what is a schooner 2/3 of a pint seems smaller than that looking at it!! pint was 10 dollars in the pig and whistle down queen st in brisbane and most other bars round that area but the down under bar was fairly cheap now.

the take out was fairly dear too though bout 50 dollars for a litre of vodka i know you could get cheap stuff but it ripped the stomach and throat out of me the next day. box of bottles was about 45 dollars too. the goon was cheap though ha ha

mightyreds wrote: »
    what is a schooner 2/3 of a pint seems smaller than that looking at it!! pint was 10 dollars in the pig and whistle down queen st in brisbane and most other bars round that area but the down under bar was fairly cheap now.

the take out was fairly dear too though bout 50 dollars for a litre of vodka i know you could get cheap stuff but it ripped the stomach and throat out of me the next day. box of bottles was about 45 dollars too. the goon was cheap though ha ha

nope its about 3/4

Schooner is 425ml v Pint 568ml

so if a schooner is normally $6 then a pint should only be $8

Its the same in Sydney & Melb, the places that sell pints only are ripping people off because its clientele just pay rather question it. They are rounding it up with an idiot tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I thought the oz dollar was worth 1 cent, which is why a banana costs 7 dollars over there.

So 140k over there isn't what you think it is.
    It probably adds up to 20k a year euro

that's just me talking shyte tho and making up figures but the oz dollar is pretty worthless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

kraggy wrote: »

Better than being holocausted with tax. Isn't that right Cascarino?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Hey guys - has anyone here actually worked in the mines? - Trying to do a bit of research on Western Australia and mining seems to be a big deal there.

I'm fairly sure the work is tough goin' but if anyone has had any experience I'd love to hear their opinions on it.

medici wrote: »
    Hey guys - has anyone here actually worked in the mines? - Trying to do a bit of research on Western Australia and mining seems to be a big deal there.

I'm fairly sure the work is tough goin' but if anyone has had any experience I'd love to hear their opinions on it.

I know a few people who work in the mines, also has been plenty of threads about it over on Australia & NZ forums.

I think the toughest part is getting a job in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I know a few people who work in the mines, also has been plenty of threads about it over on Australia & NZ forums.

I think the toughest part is getting a job in the first place.

I know a guy who worked the mines, no way is getting the job the toughest part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

al28283 wrote: »
    I know a guy who worked the mines, no way is getting the job the toughest part
    oookkkaaaaaay, so what is the tough part? Jasus, it's like pulling teeth.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement