Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter boat fishing donegal bay

Options
  • 12-11-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

i am just wondering if anybody fishes in or around donegal bay in the winter months and if so what would you be targeting using what bait.

after moving to the coast and having access to a boat that i can take out whenever i am just curious as to whether it is worth while.

tho i have to admit that i would not be going out that far from the coast due to my lack of knowledge but travelling to depths of 100ft

thanks
    niall_b73

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

South westerly wind leaves the bay most exposed but any other wind you can find shelter on the bay north or south side. Its one of the top bays in Ireland for fish which is why the biggest fishing port in Ireland is on the bay. If you have a sounder fish the hard ground or peaks for pollack, cod, wrasse, coalie, whiting, gurnard to name a few or throw out the anchor on sand for ray and flatties. Best bait is mackerel strips or rag etc or spin with lures for pollack or coalie etc. The angling boats are still operating if they get a booking although summer is best the winter still fishes well for the heavy clothed angler

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

rushnaldo wrote: »
    South westerly wind leaves the bay most exposed but any other wind you can find shelter on the bay north or south side. Its one of the top bays in Ireland for fish which is why the biggest fishing port in Ireland is on the bay. If you have a sounder fish the hard ground or peaks for pollack, cod, wrasse, coalie, whiting, gurnard to name a few or throw out the anchor on sand for ray and flatties. Best bait is mackerel strips or rag etc or spin with lures for pollack or coalie etc. The angling boats are still operating if they get a booking although summer is best the winter still fishes well for the heavy clothed angler

thanks for that, i guess we will have to give it a go and sea what happens.

niall_b73

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Brian.D

Plenty of good fishing to be had around the Sligo & Donegal bay during winter Niall & theres some great Flounder & Turbot been caught on Mackerel strips & Sandeel from the shore not to far from ya

Advertisement