Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading monitor

Options
  • 12-11-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,373 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of going for a new monitor

I would like 3D, 120hz, 27-30inch, resolution: 1920x1080 or above

any recommendations please ?

edit
    (scratch that 3D isnt that important to me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Budget?
    Important traits? (contrast ratio, viewing angles, colour accuracy, response time, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,373 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »
    Budget?
    Important traits? (contrast ratio, viewing angles, colour accuracy, response time, etc.)

Sorry I did leave out a few stuff

my budget is around 600 mark

Regarding the other stuff, im not sure tbh ( I dont know much about those details). Now its for my gaming machine
    i5
    2 gtx 570
    8gb ram

so response time is important. Im not sure now but I think the average person cant tell the difference between 2ms and 5ms, so anything around that range is grand

Dell U2711. I'd get one (I have the U2410), but I can't afford it at the moment. :P

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/15586491/Dell_27_U2711_LCD_6ms_VGA_DVI_HDMI/210_31173/default.aspx

You won't find a better monitor than this around, I guarantee you. It's an IPS panel, so the colours are extremely accurate to real life (i.e., to what you would print), viewing angles are simply wonderful, response time is excellent for a monitor with resolution that high, and you get four USB ports and a card reader.

thanks for the suggestion Serephucus

My current monitor is a lcd tv the Philips 32PFL5405, a part of me will miss it so making this step to a real monitor, would I see a real big difference ?

Well the U2711 has a resolution of 2560x1440, versus 1920x1080, and it's slightly smaller, so everything should look a lot sharper. Movies and TV won't obviously, because their resolution is too low, but games and everything else will look truly excellent. You'll notice might nicer colours too, most-likely.

Beware though: going from 19x10 to 25x14 gives you 1.7 times more pixels to render, so staying at the same settings in a game, though it will look much sharper, you're going to take a performance hit, so you may have to lower a couple of settings with newer games. Just something to keep in mind. (If you're looking for benchmarks, have a look at HardOCP. They test all games at 2560x1600, which is the closest resolution to the U2711. It'll give you an idea of what to expect.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah, that's a great price for the Dell 2711 considering it's €750 on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2711-Ultrasharp-Premier-Widescreen/dp/B003A4H17S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321135908&sr=8-1

Also the 3 year warranty is a bonus.

It's a pity Komplett don't take Laser card as I'd like to take it easy on my credit card, :)

Well the U2711 has a resolution of 2560x1440, versus 1920x1080, and it's slightly smaller, so everything should look a lot sharper. Movies and TV won't obviously, because their resolution is too low, but games and everything else will look truly excellent. You'll notice might nicer colours too, most-likely.

ya but I wont beable to play alot of the games at ultra settings with that resolution, would I?

Moon54 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a great price for the Dell 2711 considering it's €750 on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2711-Ultrasharp-Premier-Widescreen/dp/B003A4H17S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321135908&sr=8-1

Also the 3 year warranty is a bonus.

It's a pity Komplett don't take Laser card as I'd like to take it easy on my credit card,

They don't? Weird. Two years ago, they were going to be taking Laser "in the next few months" Oh well.

@Headshot, see my edited post above.

hmm thanks for the help Serephucus

I dont think its worth going 2560x1440 because of downgrading my settings

Then you're look at a TV (to keep 19x10), which I have no clue about. Might want to post in Consumer Electronics or something.

• Advertisement

Then you're look at a TV (to keep 19x10), which I have no clue about. Might want to post in Consumer Electronics or something.

I was thinking of something along the lines of http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=17&catid=1851

I forgot to ask

Is there a big difference in picture quality between 120hz and 60hz ?

Advertisement