Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crown Kitchen and Bathroom Paint - Stinks - Very Bad Smell

• 12-11-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A few days ago I purchased a 2.5L of kitchen and bathroom paint Crown branded for my main bathroom. I prepared the walls, sanded down, removed any loose paint that was there from before.

Started painting, going on well. Quite happy nice colour... The problem is the smell! It has been about 3 days now since I painted it and there is a really bad smell, not your typical paint smell but quite a nasty foul odour...

I have contacted Crown concerning it (waiting a response). If I smell the walls they have the smell coming from them. I have painted many rooms before with a variety of different paints but never experienced this stink. I did some googling and I found "wall odour phenomenon" which basically says its a bacteria or chemical on the wall that causes this, however the smell is actually detectable from the paint itself, i.e. not even applied to the wall...

Anyone ever had a similar experience... It really is awful. I'm gutted and fear I might have to waste more time stripping/sealing walls again...

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Xcellior
    I always cut up 1 or 2 onions and leave them where I paint for about 3 days. Works every time. The onion will absorb the hum. learned this from an old painter who is now retired
    NW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The paint is probably gone off. The smell should clear after a week or so.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

North West wrote: »
    Hi Xcellior
    I always cut up 1 or 2 onions and leave them where I paint for about 3 days. Works every time. The onion will absorb the hum. learned this from an old painter who is now retired
    NW
    Yup, simple, cheap and effective!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

North West wrote: »
    Hi Xcellior
    NW

Thanks for the tip.

I did this and managed to keep the onion there for 1 whole day but the stink of the paint combined with the onion became unbearable. There was no noticeable improvement.

I actually like the smell of new paint but this smell is quite different...

I'm disappointed because I specifically chose the branded Crown paint since it is marketed as "breathe easy". The homebase alternative was half the price.

The paint is probably gone off. The smell should clear after a week or so.

Yeah that's what I am worried about... Will it ever get better or does this mean I will have to repaint?

Also I am worried about the smell coming through even after repainting... If this is the case I would need to use a sealer... paint the whole room with this... then redo the entire paint job... again...

• Advertisement

Just to update...

No response from Crown yet. I was surpsied to find that they offer no phone number for Irish customers to contact. Only a webform... Guess they don't sell much paint here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

i used some old paint before not knowing it had gone off. There was a terrible gas or eggy smell from it which still wasnt any better after two weeks. Got some new paint along with an additive which reduces paint odour and repainted with two or three coats which sorted it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Give it time xcellor... the paint is definitely off, but after full cure (20 or more days believe it or not) the smell should go. Leave a window cracked to air the room.
    This can happen with paint sitting on the shelf for a long time as much of that kitchen & bathroom paint tends to do... but it is unusual for paint to go off if it's not been opened before.

That onion thing is really for oil paints not water based...

A girl from Crown customer service was in contact with me yesterday saying she was in contact with the technical department in the UK since all their paint is manufactured there to see what needs to be done to resolve it.

I tried to see if there was a batch number or serial on it but I can't see, spilled a bit of paint over the edge so maybe its covered.

The paint was in a sealed container, well as sealed as any paint container is. No signs of it being opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Batch no would be barcode on a sticker usually, or sometimes printed on the tin itself.
    Incidentally, what colour?

• Advertisement

Just wanted to update this thread to say that the issue is now resolved.

Crown Paint organized for someone to come and redo the job. No bad smell now so I am satisfied.

I also got a follow up call from Crown (Rebecca) to make sure all was OK. This was nice and much appreciated!!! Understandably things sometimes go wrong even with the best of products but its nice when your issue is dealt with swiftly.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Only saw this thread now. Glad to hear you got sorted. We went through the same thing with Dulux Magic Colour. It didn't go white and smelled like sour milk. After asking for a paint sample, the batch number (not on the tin... hmm...) the original tin and receipt, they eventually offered a replacement tin. Nice to see Crown cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Xcellor wrote: »
    Just wanted to update this thread to say that the issue is now resolved.

Crown Paint organized for someone to come and redo the job. No bad smell now so I am satisfied.

I also got a follow up call from Crown (Rebecca) to make sure all was OK. This was nice and much appreciated!!! Understandably things sometimes go wrong even with the best of products but its nice when your issue is dealt with swiftly.

X

Hi , we have the same problems ourselves. Painted 2 of 3 bedrooms in both Homebase and Crown Breatheasy paint both purchased in homebase and 3 months on the smell is still too bad to even let anyone sleep in either room. Both windows are open everyday to no avail.

I am just wondering what the painter did to get rid of the smell when he redid it ??? as the Dulux lab i contacted (i contacted everyone) has told me that nothing should be put over the paint or the smell will be locked into the wall:(
    Thanks

Madman2 wrote: »
    Hi , we have the same problems ourselves. Painted 2 of 3 bedrooms in both Homebase and Crown Breatheasy paint both purchased in homebase and 3 months on the smell is still too bad to even let anyone sleep in either room. Both windows are open everyday to no avail.

I am just wondering what the painter did to get rid of the smell when he redid it ??? as the Dulux lab i contacted (i contacted everyone) has told me that nothing should be put over the paint or the smell will be locked into the wall:(
    Thanks

He used a trade alkaline sealer. Came in a tin like regular paint.

You can't get it from the likes of homebase but it would be available through paint merchant or probably builders merchant.

It smells like white spirit and is quite strong for a day or so after but then the smell is gone. Leaves the wall with a shiny appearance but can be painted over no problem.

Hope you get it sorted. Smells really bad. My bathroom smelt like someone had sh1t on the walls and when the room was warm the smell was even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Thanks for the reply, we'll give it a go. After all it can't get any worse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

Thanks

Sand down the walls, put an oil based sealer on, something from Zinseer maybe, then paint with two coats of Emulsion/Soft Sheen paint.....The paint was deffo gone off....Years ago the guys used to stir a couple of drops of after shave into mouldy paint....and it worked..!...:)

Advertisement