Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 160GB

• 12-11-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a PS3 160GB second hand, I am just looking to know what things to look for with second hand PS3 160GBs? The seller says the PS3 is in great condition and it comes with games. Am i mad or should i buy a new one>/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a PS3 160GB second hand, I am just looking to know what things to look for with second hand PS3 160GBs? The seller says the PS3 is in great condition and it comes with games. Am i mad or should i buy a new one>/

Once you can test it and try a few games etc I wouldn't be too worried, if you are getting a good deal. But if there's anything suspect about it, don't feel pressured into buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Once you can test it and try a few games etc I wouldn't be too worried, if you are getting a good deal. But if there's anything suspect about it, don't feel pressured into buying.

im going to look at one tomorrow:) its actual for a kids xmas present so i want it to last. is there any lights on it to look for. Im not really into consoles and the last one i played was the sega mega drive HAHAHAHA so it shows i havent really a clue:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Can't imagine any issues with a second hand 160GB. Haven't heard of any issues at all with the Slim bar the no backward compatibility for PS2 games and occasional freezing and overheating but sufficient airflow access can prevent the worst of it.

One thing I'd check for sure though is if the seal is still present, just to make sure no repairs have been made.

Think that's about it, but in general, there aren't any problems with the Slim other than the fact that if you want to put in your own HD, the screws on the HD in the PS3 seem to have been tightened by the Gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The only light to watch out for is the yellow light of death -

playstation-3-ps3-yellow-light-of-death-ylod-300x162.jpg

If that shows up, run a mile. Watch for physical damage on the console itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Can't imagine any issues with a second hand 160GB. Haven't heard of any issues at all with the Slim bar the no backward compatibility for PS2 games and occasional freezing and overheating but sufficient airflow access can prevent the worst of it.

One thing I'd check for sure though is if the seal is still present, just to make sure no repairs have been made.

Think that's about it, but in general, there aren't any problems with the Slim other than the fact that if you want to put in your own HD, the screws on the HD in the PS3 seem to have been tightened by the Gods.

Its actual the fat one not a slim one:confused: would it be still the same with issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Ah... Not trying to worry you now but, well there are issues with several models of the Phat type, mainly the yellow light of death which means there is a serious problem with the console that is either fixable (in the short term) or not at all.

Like I said in my previous post, look for the warranty void seal on the base of the console. If that has been removed, chances are there's been a problem with the console. Also, ask if you can see it run, play it for a bit to test it out. Keep an eye out for the yellow light, as highlighted by MrJoeSoap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

try and hold out and find a ps3 slim... 120gb is more than enough unless your gonna be putting loads of movies on it...

I had the ps3 fat version and it stopped showing pictures with the HDMI which is bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - hmv had some great deals for a 160G last week - I think 220 with one of two games if you can still find any in stock.

There are a few models of the phat one - but many do have that overheating issue - personally I would steer clear and try to find the HMV offer.
    BTW - ps3 - great choice - hope you manage to get one - will be a great christmas with all you can do - play / movies / streaming / music & photos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

if HMV are sold out on this offer (which they prob are), any other suggestions re where the best spot is to pick up a PS3??

Advertisement