Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing on gym membership!

• 12-11-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I want to share some information on an ex Jackie S gym in dublin city:

Went in there today to inquire gym membership fee, 60euro per month plus 29e joining fee if i sign up for 1 year.
    If joining for 3 months, 70e per month + 29e joining fee, also need a 28 days of notice if you want to join the 3 months membership.
    I also ask if I want to join for 3 months, pay the 3 months membership in cash in advance, the price is 270e!
    I was told that's the way it is if I don't go with direct debit!
    What a rip off!

I would think in this climate they would try and get more customers with some sort of discount !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭StevePH

When you say "an ex Jackie S gym" do ye mean one of the Energie gyms?

I've just discovered one of these around the corner from where I work and was thinking of going in to have a look. Would love to know what rates people have signed up to with Energie before I start chatting to their sales people....would be handy to know if they're open to negotiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Im in an energie gym in Kildare and its 45 a month,im not sure if Dublin gyms are much dearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 limeflower

Yes its Energie.
    I've asked if they have any deals, they said "not at the moment".
    All they are interested is trying to get people to set up direct debit straightaway!
    I would definitely want to know how much some people are paying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

limeflower wrote: »
    Yes its Energie.
    I've asked if they have any deals, they said "not at the moment".
    All they are interested is trying to get people to set up direct debit straightaway!
    I would definitely want to know how much some people are paying!

I didnt even know you could pay by means other than direct debit :D

Yeah they want direct debit and not much all.For my own use,i find 45 a month good value and if you refer anyone else they knock a fiver off your memeberhsip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 limeflower

I'm not a fan of direct debit payment, as i heard the old jackie s. is impossible to cancel the payment. Too many bad press!
    When I joined crunch few years back, I paid the full year membership fee in 3 installments in cash. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

My gym's a lot cheaper than that and I still decided to cancel the membership and buy equipment for home.

Whether you can do this or not depends on your motivation levels and goals. I do a bit of cycling and would have no problem adding in a bit of running on the road. Other than that, there's no real need for cardio equipment. It's the weight training equipment that I purchased for home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

marathonic wrote: »
    My gym's a lot cheaper than that and I still decided to cancel the membership and buy equipment for home.

Same here. My membership is up for renewal soon, and I won't be renewing, I'll be putting that money towards my own home gym.

The gym I'm in isn't expensive, it's about €175 for 6 months, I think, but I'm just sick of putting up with people really :)

Plus, I'm 20, so when you work out all the years of paying gym membership I still have ahead of me, it works out much much cheaper to just buy the equipment myself.

Same here. My membership is up for renewal soon, and I won't be renewing, I'll be putting that money towards my own home gym.

The gym I'm in isn't expensive, it's about €175 for 6 months, I think, but I'm just sick of putting up with people really :)

Plus, I'm 20, so when you work out all the years of paying gym membership I still have ahead of me, it works out much much cheaper to just buy the equipment myself.

You'll not regret it. Is it weight training equipment you're buying or cardio?

It'll take a few years before my gym pays for itself in cash but I also save a lot of time. If you take 10 minutes getting to and from the gym and 10 minutes waiting on the equipment (it'll probably be longer for most) and you work out 3 times per week, that's an automatic hour and a half you get back every week.

I also find that, on days when I wouldn't have the motivation to go to the gym, I'd say "to hell with it, I'll just go out to the shed, do a set of squats and call it quits"... and most of the time, you'd end up completing the normal workout anyway.

Where will you be getting your equipment? I got mine from Powerhouse Fitness but Irish Lifting are also a highly recommended supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jmvane15

It's pretty ridiculous how high gym membership prices are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jmvane15 wrote: »

Why's that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure about ex Jackie gym

But the current Jackie gym presents a very good value in my opinion

http://www.flyefit.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

jmvane15 wrote: »

Because I shouldn't be priced out of attending a gym, 200-300 is fine but 400-600 is impossible.

Even if there were a lot more smaller more basic gyms that would be a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

saa wrote: »
    Because I shouldn't be priced out of attending a gym, 200-300 is fine but 400-600 is impossible.

200-300 is fine while 400-600 is impossible?

Over the course of a year, one costs less than 1 euro a day, the other costs less than 2 Euro a day.

Is that really impossible for you?

Or is it rather that you are not prepared to pay that much for a gym membership and believe that you should be entitled to pay a gym what you think is a fair price for a gym membership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

saa wrote: »
    Because I shouldn't be priced out of attending a gym

That is not how the world works.

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Or is it rather that you are not prepared to pay that much for a gym membership and believe that you should be entitled to pay a gym what you think is a fair price for a gym membership?

Reminds me of a friend of mine when we were out for a meal for another friends birthday. Ordered a burger in a steakhouse and was disgusted when the €10 bill came (a big difference from the McDonalds euro saver menu) :D

He then complained about the price of the burger for the rest of the night whilst spending €100+ on alcohol and club entry!!! :confused:

Zamboni wrote: »
    That is not how the world works.

I shouldn't be priced out of owning a Lamborghini and 6,000 sq. ft. house :D

Advertisement