Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The abomination of Lou Reed and Metallica

Options
  • 13-11-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭

My God. Has anyone heard any of this stuff yet ? It's like putting chocolate on your turkey and ham. I never thought the old curmudgeon Reed would do worse than his Metal Machine Music stuff, but he has run it very close ! As for Metallica, they'd play with ANYONE for the street cred, regardless of how crap the sound is....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I resent that statement, Metal Machine Music was a masterpiece. It was the thing that got me into Lou Reed's stuff in the first place. But on the subject itself, I haven't heard it yet but it surely can't be any worse than Saint Anger — I know that's what everybody says, but it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Nailz wrote: »
    Metal Machine Music was a masterpiece

:eek:

To me it sounds like someone who has left their guitar plugged in next to their amp turned up full, with a flock of seagulls also in the room

Ally Dick wrote: »
    :eek:
    Well... You may elaborate on the face.

Edit: Seen your edit; I thought it was a very good composition, hard to pull off a semi-ambient minimal Avant Garde composition on ones' first go at such music, but it came off very well I felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

It's so bad that I feel sorry for them even though Metallica are soulless millionaires and Reed just doesn't care about making good music at all

clig wrote: »
    Reed just doesn't care about making good music at all
    Well in fairness he's still continuing on with some great stuff under John Zorn, but as I said I will have to listen to his to get a grasp on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Watching them on Jools Holland right now, its the ramblings of a drunk pensioner over a "generic hard rock" loop from Garageband.

Reed's track on the Gorillaz album was the worst thing on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The music is good and well performed, Lou Reed just thinks he can talk over it like an audio book. Its pretty legendary in terms of sh1ttiness. I don't think it can ever rivalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

This collaboration is the result of a bunch of old farts with too much time and money on their hands and nobody to tell them what to do. I heard one song off Lulu and that was enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

I think if you put on a metallica song and a Lou Reed song at the same time the result might be similar.

Very bad :(

Metallica are soulless whores, especially Lars Ulrich

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    Well... You may elaborate on the face.

Edit: Seen your edit; I thought it was a very good composition, hard to pull off a semi-ambient minimal Avant Garde composition on ones' first go at such music, but it came off very well I felt.

Is it not just the same noise all the way through ? If I drop my pants and sh!t on a canvas, is that art ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

It's like putting chocolate on your turkey and ham.

That sentence deserves a round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

loyatemu wrote: »
    Watching them on Jools Holland right now, its the ramblings of a drunk pensioner over a "generic hard rock" loop from Garageband.

Reed's track on the Gorillaz album was the worst thing on there too.

Love that track actually.

My God. Has anyone heard any of this stuff yet ? It's like putting chocolate on your turkey and ham. I never thought the old curmudgeon Reed would do worse than his Metal Machine Music stuff, but he has run it very close ! As for Metallica, they'd play with ANYONE for the street cred, regardless of how crap the sound is....

Most misjudged musical collaboration since the Daniel O'Donnell and Aphex Twin album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

If I drop my pants and sh!t on a canvas, is that art ?

You'd probably find someone out there to give you a few million for it. Not even some dude who is into perverted **** sex games but a museum curator wearing a turtleneck and rimless glasses who can see the inner struggle within your art and loves the way you have expressed it so vigorously and accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Opinicus wrote: »
    You'd probably find someone out there to give you a few million for it. Not even some dude who is into perverted **** sex games but a museum curator wearing a turtleneck and rimless glasses who can see the inner struggle within your art and loves the way you have expressed it so vigorously and accurately.
    This is very true and demonstrated clearly in the documentary film Exit Through the Gift Shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Gramptallica parody sums the project up perfectly. Check it out on Youtube if you haven't yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Is it not just the same noise all the way through ? If I drop my pants and sh!t on a canvas, is that art ?
    Opinicus wrote: »

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist's_shit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i haven't decided what i think yet, but i found them exciting and different on jools holland, and the german radio performance was quite interesting.

The stuff is unlistenable crap, though having said that if it was a choice between them and a Coldplay gig I'd take that geriatric dirge any day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Utter horse-poo from all involved!

There are numerous changes in tone on MMM, the minimalistic fashion in which it was made is quite good and interesting — quite similar in the way Anton Webern used the 12-tone technique in the first Avant Garde audio pieces to he recorded, except more Noise orientated.

And as regards **** on a canvas, I'm not a fan, but hey — somebody'll think it's cool. But if no though has gone into making it or arranging it then I wouldn't consider it "art", personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Metallica are soulless whores, especially Lars Ulrich

LOL. Lars does have the final say on what they do afaik. He's the one who formed the band.

And yeah, I have heard one song off the album, and it's ****.

I am a fan, but won't be buying that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I have to say I was very sceptical before I heard anything but I saw them on Jools and I thought that song they did was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I have to say I was very sceptical before I heard anything but I saw them on Jools and I thought that song they did was fantastic.

Thought it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

awful ****e! how they thought that would sound any good is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think Lou Reed has made some awful music in his day. I think Metallica are just plain awful.

I would however at least try chocolate on turkey and ham if it were put in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Absolutely awful. I love metallica. I actually thought Death Magnetic was a great album, really flows well with some great riffs and solos and even the timing of things was awesome.

Lou Reed with them though. Abomination is putting it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

the reed/metallica stuff is a bit like watching the irish football team play.....soul destroying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

This entire project is more offensive to me than sh1te like Justin Bieber. At least he is pop and it is what it is. What either of these 2 highly respected artists were thinking getting into this project I will never ever figure out.

Advertisement