Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The abomination of Lou Reed and Metallica

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I've a lot of respect for them for trying something new, but they should have pressed a dozen copies for themselves then burned the masters and never mentioned it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Just heard "Iced Honey" there, and I must say, musically it's quite good — vocally; not so much. It's not Reed's performance as a whole, it's just his style, it in no way suits the music and doesn't go that well; will reserve my overall judgement until I hear the entire album.

Also, I heard some critic describe it as "Noise Rock" and "Avant Garde Metal", haha! No it's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I must say I enjoyed "Iced Honey" and "While Light/White Heat" on Jools.
    But then I love the sound of Lou Reeds voice.
    Not sure this would sound so good on record though.
    Nailz wrote: »
    Just heard "Iced Honey" there, and I must say, musically it's quite good — vocally; not so much. It's not Reed's performance as a whole, it's just his style, it in no way suits the music and doesn't go that well; will reserve my overall judgement until I hear the entire album.

Also, I heard some critic describe it as "Noise Rock" and "Avant Garde Metal", haha! No it's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ally Dick wrote: »
    My God. Has anyone heard any of this stuff yet ? It's like putting chocolate on your turkey and ham. I never thought the old curmudgeon Reed would do worse than his Metal Machine Music stuff, but he has run it very close ! As for Metallica, they'd play with ANYONE for the street cred, regardless of how crap the sound is....
    :eek:

To me it sounds like someone who has left their guitar plugged in next to their amp turned up full, with a flock of seagulls also in the room
    clig wrote: »
    It's so bad that I feel sorry for them even though Metallica are soulless millionaires and Reed just doesn't care about making good music at all
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Watching them on Jools Holland right now, its the ramblings of a drunk pensioner over a "generic hard rock" loop from Garageband.

Reed's track on the Gorillaz album was the worst thing on there too.
    The music is good and well performed, Lou Reed just thinks he can talk over it like an audio book. Its pretty legendary in terms of sh1ttiness. I don't think it can ever rivalled.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    This collaboration is the result of a bunch of old farts with too much time and money on their hands and nobody to tell them what to do. I heard one song off Lulu and that was enough for me.
    Kadongy wrote: »
    I think if you put on a metallica song and a Lou Reed song at the same time the result might be similar.

Very bad :(
    Metallica are soulless whores, especially Lars Ulrich
    Is it not just the same noise all the way through ? If I drop my pants and sh!t on a canvas, is that art ?
    duckworth wrote: »
    That sentence deserves a round of applause.
    The Gramptallica parody sums the project up perfectly. Check it out on Youtube if you haven't yet
    The stuff is unlistenable crap, though having said that if it was a choice between them and a Coldplay gig I'd take that geriatric dirge any day!
    Utter horse-poo from all involved!
    LOL. Lars does have the final say on what they do afaik. He's the one who formed the band.

And yeah, I have heard one song off the album, and it's ****.

I am a fan, but won't be buying that one.
    Thought it was terrible.
    jimmymal wrote: »
    awful ****e! how they thought that would sound any good is beyond me.
    Africa wrote: »
    Absolutely awful. I love metallica. I actually thought Death Magnetic was a great album, really flows well with some great riffs and solos and even the timing of things was awesome.

Lou Reed with them though. Abomination is putting it nicely.
    the reed/metallica stuff is a bit like watching the irish football team play.....soul destroying
    tbh wrote: »
    I've a lot of respect for them for trying something new, but they should have pressed a dozen copies for themselves then burned the masters and never mentioned it again.

^This.

Saw them on Jools Holland last week and thought it was the most disgraceful piece of music I've ever heard on that show. Lou Reed cannot sing, the music was just standard Metallica crap, and the two put together was just plain awful. Any last grains of respect I had for Metallica are well and truly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

How many people expressing their hatred of the Jools performance have listened to the album?

Got it today, it's cool. Opening track is a belter.

Hating the Metallica/Reed collaboration has become a bit of a phenomenon hasn't it? I mean, fair enough if it isn't your thing, but everyone all over the internet is giving out about how it's the worst music ever, the most offensive garbage ever recorded... It's plain old rock, it hardly stands out. What's with all the derision?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Lou Reed, bless him, is the ultimate music troll. The man has made some brilliant music but he's a curmudgeonly bollocks who'll only be delighted at the reactions of horror that this collaboration has been met with. I haven't listened to Lulu yet but I did listen to a bit Metal Machine Music one night, so I know exactly what he's capable of. He loves pissing people off. The lovable scamp! :pac:

I've never been a Metallica fan but I can only imagine they agreed to do this out of respect for Reed (and possibly the money) rather than any sort of grand musical ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Hating the Metallica/Reed collaboration has become a bit of a phenomenon hasn't it?

Hating getting kicked in the stones is a phenomenon as well. The reason? It's a painful experience, as is listening to Lulu.

And I've given it at least 5 full plays so I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon or following the crowd. Enough's been said about Lou Reed's vocals before so there's no need to go down that road again but not a single piece of the music would make it on to a Metallica record. It's B-side standard stuff.

And I've given it at least 5 full plays so I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon or following the crowd. Enough's been said about Lou Reed's vocals before so there's no need to go down that road again but not a single piece of the music would make it on to a Metallica record. It's B-side standard stuff.

Is it 'cause of the spoken word approach to the vocals that everyone's hating?

That's one issue yeah but as I said, the music isn't good enough for a Metallica album (St. Anger excluded of course!). These riffs would have got left in the practice room.

The thing with the vocals is that they aren't in step with the vocals. Half the time it's as if he's 'singing' along to completely different music to what they're playing.

That's one issue yeah but as I said, the music isn't good enough for a Metallica album (St. Anger excluded of course!). These riffs would have got left in the practice room.

The thing with the vocals is that they aren't in step with the vocals. Half the time it's as if he's 'singing' along to completely different music to what they're playing.

I figured that too, that it wasn't top notch Metallica stuff - but then it's not a Metallica album.

I really like Lou's delivery. If he was trying to be on time and accurate with each line, he wouldn't be Lou Reed :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Heard "Junior Dad" on Today FM last night. Paul McLoone played it. Musically, it's not bad, vocally, it's s***e!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

Hilariously bad on Jools Holland alright,funnier still tho was how much Lars is looking like Phil Collins these days.

Hilariously bad on Jools Holland alright,funnier still tho was how much Lars is looking like Phil Collins these days.

Lookin like but not as good a drummer as

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

:D LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Looks like a pile of people are just queuing up to bash this album. I think Metallica & Lou are similar. Grumpy old sods not willing to pander to their audience. Having said that, Metallica & Lou don't sound good together. Metallica under rehearsed & Lous vocals are divisive to say the least! There's a few flashes of class from Metallica ("dragon" could be reworked into a Metallica classic). Overall, it's a 2/5 from me but that won't worry Metallica or Lou!!! Shine on you crazy, grumpy old ****es!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

gerocks wrote: »
    Looks like a pile of people are just queuing up to bash this album. I think Metallica & Lou are similar. Grumpy old sods not willing to pander to their audience. Having said that, Metallica & Lou don't sound good together. Metallica under rehearsed & Lous vocals are divisive to say the least! There's a few flashes of class from Metallica ("dragon" could be reworked into a Metallica classic). Overall, it's a 2/5 from me but that won't worry Metallica or Lou!!! Shine on you crazy, grumpy old ****es!

Metallica sounded fine, I didn't get any sense that they were under rehearsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Is it 'cause of the spoken word approach to the vocals that everyone's hating?

no... the pieces i've heard aren't spoken-word. i've been hearing completely off-key, off-time nattering. sure, he can deliver his lyrics however he wants, and i liked his older stuff, but this... this is pretty rank.

Parsley wrote: »
    no... the pieces i've heard aren't spoken-word. i've been hearing completely off-key, off-time nattering. sure, he can deliver his lyrics however he wants, and i liked his older stuff, but this... this is pretty rank.

Well maybe not spoken word, but not really singing either. I don't think it's 'off-key' when it's not trying to be in key at all... Maybe it's supposed to be atonal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Well maybe not spoken word, but not really singing either.

Known as Sprechstimme in opera. Presumably the effect Reed was going for.. :P

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Known as Sprechstimme in opera. Presumably the effect Reed was going for.. :P

I should know that... Barely passed that module anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Reed hasn't "sung" a song for years. I think he's pretty much into being known as a poet first and foremost. He delivers the lyric rather than sings it. That's just Lou Reed.
    He can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned - always been a huge fan.
    I've only heard a couple tracks from the Metallica collab - sounds OK to me. I'll buy it.

mickoregan wrote: »
    . I think he's pretty much into being known as a poet first and foremost.

That's another thing. Leading up to the release of Lulu we were led to believe that Lou Reed was some lyrical genius and that these songs were poetry set to music etc. I know that he was limited to what he could write by the storyline of the plays but let's be honest, there's nothing special about these lyrics

That's another thing. Leading up to the release of Lulu we were led to believe that Lou Reed was some lyrical genius and that these songs were poetry set to music etc. I know that he was limited to what he could write by the storyline of the plays but let's be honest, there's nothing special about these lyrics
    Well, I'm not sure there has to be anything particularly "special" about the lyrics. Poetic can be simple, direct, prosaic.
    If you can get hold of BETWEEN THOUGHT AND EXPRESSION - a book of his lyrics, it gives a feel for what he's about. Just my opinion.
    :)

mickoregan wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure there has to be anything particularly "special" about the lyrics. Poetic can be simple, direct, prosaic.
    If you can get hold of BETWEEN THOUGHT AND EXPRESSION - a book of his lyrics, it gives a feel for what he's about. Just my opinion.
    :)

Not being an expert myself, out of interest would you consider the lyrics of Lulu to be poetic?

I don't consider myself an expert either. I'll have to take a look at them as I'm not very familiar with them.
    But, whether or not I do makes no difference, IMO. What's poetic to one person may not be to another. It's no different from any other art - film, literature, painting, sculpture, etc.
    Over the years, I've found some of Reed's writing to be beautiful and I've found that some of it has no effect on me at all.

I'll go take a look at those lyrics....

Yeah, I find some of the imagery quite stunning. It's very typical of Reed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Anyone who doubts Lou's poetic abilities need to listen to the beautiful heartfelt lyrics of this:

:pac:

• Advertisement

I've never before even read Ultimate Guitar. My son sent me the link.

Advertisement