Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Novels to cover with children age 9 & 10

Options
  • 13-11-2011 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I teach 4th and 5th class (mixed boys and girls) and I am looking for an exciting novel that would appeal to both for this age group!

I would appreciate some recommendations as we would be starting it early in new year in order to cover a lot of work on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

When I was in 4th class (mixed rural primary school) our lovely teacher used to read us a chapter of a book after lunch as a treat. It was always painful having to wait until the following day to find out what happened next.

The books I can remember her reading to us were:

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis

The teacher would raffle them off when she was finished, the winner was always envied! I think she did a great job in encouraging more reading.

I remember getting them all out of the library /asking for them for Christmas afterwards so that I could read the stories again for myself.

This was back in 1986/ 1987 though! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dahl is wonderful at that age. I remember enjoying a teacher reading Return to Troy around that level too, though I don't recall using the activity book mentioned in that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

The best book I remember us reading in class was I am David by Anne Holm. It was a mixed school. I think we read it twice, it was so popular. But again this was way back in the 1980s!

Off-topic but after the reading was finished on a Wednesday afternoon the teacher used to choose a few of us to sing for the class - am still scarred!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I am David

:(

That book changed my life. (I was always an odd child)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My nieces (aged 4 to 13) love Howl's Moving Castle, and so do I. I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

You should check with your nearest library as many of them have class sets of novels for use in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

In fourth class, we read (and had read to us) 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe', and 'The Hobbit'. It was wonderful. :)

Advertisement