Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has whistling become a thing of the past?

• 13-11-2011 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

In days of old, you could not walk into the local newsagents without some merry fellow whistling an old tune. Is it a dying phenomenon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think it is, now people have their personal listening devices and whatnots there are fewer wanting to make little bits of melody to fill the air with.

Still hear it the odd time, but.

Or...maybe it is a tradesman thing and now that there are less of them working or living here, the music has died somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can't beat Ennio Morricone for a good oul whistle....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No, people are whistling all the time. It's just most people's lips have evolved to whistle at a higher tone, which people with atavistic, old-fashioned ears can't hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No, people are whistling all the time. It's just most people's lips have evolved to whistle at a higher tone, which people with atavistic, old-fashioned ears can't hear.

Or could be the introduction of mp3 players turned up to eleven that tears my hearing to pieces (it's ok I wear headphones so I'm not 'that' person).

Whistling is so old school. Tinnitus is where it's at nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

chin_grin wrote: »
    Or could be the introduction of mp3 players turned up to eleven that tears my hearing to pieces (it's ok I wear headphones so I'm not 'that' person).

Whistling is so old school. Tinnitus is where it's at nowadays.

Sorry what was that?

:pac:

I've destroyed my hearing too, as my response to it being worse is to turn my music up louder so I can hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I do tend to whistle if I'm going from the car to somewhere or back to the car, or if a bit of a tune pops into my head. Have been known to get looked at like an escaped mental patient for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,656 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My Dad has Feis medals for whistling!

I think it's sad that you don't hear whistling any more - I do my bit every now and then, but I get very funny looks... it's not quite the thing any more....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

nope,,, confirmed whistler here!! (electrician in a factory) ... also took up th mechanical aid a few years ago.. the tin whistle... also youll be pleased to know that there is actually a category in fleadhna competitions "whistling".... like lilting, basically whistling a known jig or reel... actually becoming a bit of a re-emerger in county fleadh circles!
    it comes under the banner "WHISTLING- FEADAIL".. and heres a list of previous winners right up to 2010... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All-Ireland_Champions#Whistling_.28Feada.C3.ADl.29

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Let us not be naive here:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I can't do the really loud, fingers-in-the-mouth whistle. It's really annoying, especially when I'm out walking the dogs, and even the littlest old lady can do this piercing whistle that commands respect and exudes authority, and there's me trying to compete with that and control my dogs with my puny, pursed lips whistling. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I whistle sometimes but just the low volumen, high pitched kind with my tongue and teeth, rather than the traditional warbly lips way. And it's usually nothing in particular.

WindSock wrote: »
    I whistle sometimes but just the low volumen, high pitched kind with my tongue and teeth, rather than the traditional warbly lips way. And it's usually nothing in particular.

Yihaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I can whistle any tune in any note even match the notes and keep up on any key on the tin whistle done it many times on stage its better with a foam covered microphone to get the full effect people say i sould take it further but never did no money to be earned in it.any pub in west London im known as the west London whistler,lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Swit swoo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Swit swoo
    Has the wolf whistle died out too?:eek:
    How will builders compliment women from afar now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Yes

Just thought I'd post here so I can get thanks from LETHAL LADY

Everybody else did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I like to whistle when I'm by myself, usually around the house. Wouldn't be doing it on the bus though :pac:

I am whistling today because I just got my tickets to RHCP yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

whistling has definitely never disappeared.:eek:
    some people may like doing or hearing it but its also viewed [or heard] differently by surrounding people so be aware of others to.
    in own experience,hearing whistling is incredibly agonising due to having a off the chart level of hearing and also having profound hyperacusis.
    will react to sound badly because of the deep shockwaves of pain it sends out,the worst that continuous whistling in particular has caused is trigger epileptic seizures as most people ignore support staffs pleas for understanding from those nearby who stand/sit there totaly out of it.

sorry for veering the theme a bit from whistling but people easily understand and accept the issues that deaf/hearing impaired people have with sound but they dont accept those of us on the extreme opposite of the hearing spectrum as well as neuro hearing sensitivity disorders such as hyperacusis though thats partly because of the lack of awareness.
    people dont realise that sound can have a accute affect on people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Jordan 191 wrote: »

he sure was busting some moves, where did it all go wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Einhard wrote: »
    I can't do the really loud, fingers-in-the-mouth whistle. It's really annoying, especially when I'm out walking the dogs, and even the littlest old lady can do this piercing whistle that commands respect and exudes authority, and there's me trying to compete with that and control my dogs with my puny, pursed lips whistling. :(

then keep your stupid dogs on a lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My dad does it as a sort of nervous reaction type thing, its infuriating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I whistle the 1812 Overture when there's no lock on a toilet door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I whistle when it's off to work I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Up until about two years ago I couldn't whistle at all. Practiced and practiced for ages and now I whistle when I'm idle around college, work or at home or just getting something done. It's a nice challenge to try and follow songs and old tunes beat-for-beat when you're otherwise occupied.

I get very conscious about it around other people though, some people aren't too partial to whistling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Whistling is a bit like belching for the upper-middle classes......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I frequently whistle. I have a repetoire of quite classy tunes, classical and opera. Some are from Madam Butterfly and my ambition would be to whistle Cho Cho San's dying aria, but it may not be possible, or at least it's beyond me so far. I love to whistle anything from Carmen, but the Toreadors Song is my favourite. In a very good mood, Baby I Love you gets an airing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I whistled today on the way in from the car. I kinda try to keep it to a minimum as I feel it could piss people off. but yeah I whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Funny this thread came up. I happened to notice I was whistling today while out shopping, was whistling Live on Mars, stopped and thought hmm interesting haven't whistled in donkeys. But continued as I like the song.

But to answer, I think its dying out, never really hear anyone whistle anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

How will builders compliment women from afar now?

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mobile phones and sexual harassment laws have killed off the wolf whistle

but what really did it was the FAS course, before it was a rare skill, now it's been completely devalued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The guy in Sub City in Dublin whistles along with music that plays on the cd player. Horrendously annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I never learned how to whistle. It's one thing I trully regret. I just don't know how to whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I never learned how to whistle. It's one thing I trully regret. I just don't know how to whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

You can't beat a good whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

I don't think its dying out. I'm a man working in an all male work environment. If there's a good song on the radio, the fella next to me will start whistling it. You can then hear the workshop lads down below start to sing it. Tis great altogether!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Whistling usually denotes good humour.

There ain't been too much to fcukin whistle about recently.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

johnr1 wrote: »
    Whistling usually denotes good humour.

There ain't been too much to fcukin whistle about recently.

That is all.
    If you think about this is the perfect time for it. Whistling past the graveyard so to speak.

Advertisement