Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy stuff you've seen on building sites

• 13-11-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

1 saw scaffolding collapse
    2 saw tower crane fall over
    3 saw huge dump truck overturn
    4 saw precast slab break while being lifted by a crane and fall narrowly missing chippies.
    5 saw guy fall 3 storeys off scaffolding and walk away.

Please share your stories...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I saw someone working hard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

s20101938 wrote: »
    4 saw precast slab break while being lifted by a crane and fall narrowly missing chippies.

Priory Hall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Priory Hall?

I presume you reported all these to the HSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Building sites, another relic from our past.

A lot of people eating them Breakfast rolls and reading or looking at the pictures in the Daily star :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Guy working at height from the bucket of a digger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What about Saw 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I once saw a woman working on a building site!

a woman like!

Actually this was the video I went on to Youtube to find:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

saw guy fall 3 storeys off scaffolding and walk away.

I hope the lazy c*nt didn't get paid for a full days work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Craziest thing I saw was all building trades people being way overpaid for way too long. 2nd year apprentice plumbers and electricians getting 4-500 a week ffs!!

Friend of a friend told me a story a few years back. He was working on a site in Finglas and somehow the plans weren't followed properly and they managed to build an apartment without any door into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Non-Polish workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Working on a roof with no scaff/edge protection/mansafe, done that myself a few times.

Swinging on the digger looks like great craic to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Guy working at height from the bucket of a digger
    Happend at my house when I was getting some work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Being in a cherry picker and they start to control it at the bottom :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Craziest thing I saw was all building trades people being way overpaid for way too long. 2nd year apprentice plumbers and electricians getting 4-500 a week ffs!!

You must be quite young only to remember the six odd years that that happened.

I remember the thirty years before where construction workers pulled in a living wage if they were lucky, where they dispersed to all corners of the earth to find work because there was none here, where if they took a job on price and finished it by working 15 hours a day, the 'employer' felt within his rights to hold back some of the price because obviously the job couldn't have been worth that much because it got done in three days instead of six. I remember weeks when their greedy employers didn't pay wet time/snow time/frost time so there were no wages or cut wages. I remember lots of times when the subbie would be a distant memory while the lads waited anxiously on site on a Friday afternoon into evening waiting for him to turn up with their money. I remember banking cheques that cost me money because they bounced and no reimbursement.

During the Celtic Tiger I remember wage slips where my husband paid nearly equal tax to what he took home. Yes, great wages but spread across the weeks where there were no wages the money wasn't so great. There were lots of those weeks even during the CT.

I remember the local Union rep (BATU) laughing at me when I handed him €600 subscription for the year because I asked him what my husband would gain from being a member. Apparently a big FAT NOTHING but he was expected to down tools when they needed him to make a point and not get paid for it.

Begrudgery is still such a large part of the Irish make up. People are still fixated on the apparent woes done to them by the ordinary working person but don't get enraged, beyond mouthing off on here, by the real gougers. People moaned about the prices charged by construction workers but most were well able to meet those prices.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This. I've never seen the other side of the 'builders screwed us all' argument articulated so well. Up for anything, could you please get a job at the Sindo? Just to make that paper worth reading?

This. I've never seen the other side of the 'builders screwed us all' argument articulated so well. Up for anything, could you please get a job at the Sindo? Just to make that paper worth reading?

Thanks. I just get so cross when I see that type of crap written about the ordinary construction worker. I 'lived in the trades' so long and I know what it was really like. There were times when he'd come in and shower me with yellow and green banknotes but there were far more times where he'd come in stressed and trying to hide his despair because he hadn't make enough to cover the pared down to nothing household expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I remember the thirty years before where construction workers pulled in a living wage if they were lucky, where they dispersed to all corners of the earth to find work because there was none here, where if they took a job on price and finished it by working 15 hours a day, the 'employer' felt within his rights to hold back some of the price because obviously the job couldn't have been worth that much because it got done in three days instead of six. I remember weeks when their greedy employers didn't pay wet time/snow time/frost time so there were no wages or cut wages. I remember lots of times when the subbie would be a distant memory while the lads waited anxiously on site on a Friday afternoon into evening waiting for him to turn up with their money. I remember banking cheques that cost me money because they bounced and no reimbursement.

During the Celtic Tiger I remember wage slips where my husband paid nearly equal tax to what he took home. Yes, great wages but spread across the weeks where there were no wages the money wasn't so great. There were lots of those weeks even during the CT.

I remember the local Union rep (BATU) laughing at me when I handed him €600 subscription for the year because I asked him what my husband would gain from being a member. Apparently a big FAT NOTHING but he was expected to down tools when they needed him to make a point and not get paid for it.

Begrudgery is still such a large part of the Irish make up. People are still fixated on the apparent woes done to them by the ordinary working person but don't get enraged, beyond mouthing off on here, by the real gougers. People moaned about the prices charged by construction workers but most were well able to meet those prices.

Now your talking it was 1 of the worst job,s out there by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

MrStuffins wrote: »

a woman like!

Archaeologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

The above sounds familiar to me. Is it a Dubliners song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Thanks. I just get so cross when I see that type of crap written about the ordinary construction worker. I 'lived in the trades' so long and I know what it was really like. There were times when he'd come in and shower me with yellow and green banknotes but there were far more times where he'd come in stressed and trying to hide his despair because he hadn't make enough to cover the pared down to nothing household expenses.

Great posts, I,ve been on sites where men have died in front of me and others suffer devastating injuries, nevermind the **** conditions we worked under.No money makes up for that.A lot of construction workers suffer with back problems or knee problems and most don't get paid when out sick.
    I cant think of any time a 2nd year apprenctice earned 500 euros a week unless he worked sat/sun or at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tfker

great post there

mal1 wrote: »
    The above sounds familiar to me. Is it a Dubliners song?

In the making! I haven't finished the chorus yet. That will bring tears to your eyes. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 drywall

i saw someone get paid on time once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ok its a funny prank

but looks like bullying all the same:cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I once came across a job where the architectural drawings matched up pretty well with the consultant engineers drawings. It was a very wierd feeling at first, I thought I was in another country (any other country).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Lots of bum cracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

humberklog wrote: »
    I once came across a job where the architectural drawings matched up pretty well with the consultant engineers drawings. It was a very wierd feeling at first, I thought I was in another country (any other country).

No way....you did not... ever ...I,m going for a lie down after that..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

humberklog wrote: »

Architects really are useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Its the fighting Irish, here take my hand and show me what you want me to do, tell me what to say and I will say it,

the Irish are such a weak race, they sit on there fookin hands while they get pissed on, only to do the pissers bidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

This thread is great crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

6mm threaded bar fuses.

mattjack wrote: »
    No way....you did not... ever ...I,m going for a lie down after that..

Yep, re-bar schedules, ME, duct opes...hey the consultant engineers even bothered to lift the existing manholes to get an accurate reading for the foul and storm tie-ins, before the job started!. Their professionalism was a little spooky. They were Irish too, which made me a little weak at the knees at first...and then a growing sense of pride. Soon dashed by the next billyballsup of a job. But I still remember that one fondly:).

• Advertisement

I seen a guy get hit by the front bucket of a JCB and knocked into a 10 foot hole,

it did not end well, the driver of the JCB was still drunk from the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Its the fighting Irish, here take my hand and show me what you want me to do, tell me what to say and I will say it,

the Irish are such a weak race, they sit on there fookin hands while they get pissed on, only to do the pissers bidding.

stop derailing the thread and get back to the mental health and safety violations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Consulting Engineers who couldnt tell one end of a hammer from another ,on huge money,lording it over tradesmen.

stop derailing the thread and get back to the mental health and safety violations.

ya wada wa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Snap for no.2.

I also saw a very crude drawing done in the plaster of one of the hotel bedrooms!

• Advertisement

I was a bit suspicious of an engineers abilities so told him to check some datums as I was getting a miss reading on a slab. He set the dumpy up over a nail (which had a level property) and then took out his tape and measured from the nail up to the bottom of the tripod. It still hurts my head trying to figure out exactly what he was attempting to do. I didn't give him time to explain - Down The Road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

No Health & Safety then

it wont let me watch the above vid, it says, we can not show this vid in your country poor boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I once saw a sh1te coming up out of the porta-loo looking like an eifel tower made of poo. During the boom, I did consider starting a website called sitesh1te.ie
    I still have nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

MrStuffins wrote: »

a woman like!

You must have never been to Asia then .About 30 % of the workers on a Thai building site are women .Indonesia the same .
    Not the kind of women you would want to ride but still beautiful compared to most Irish women .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

They're really clamping down on health & safety on building sites these days - too many blokes were falling off scaffolds or getting squished by reversing lorries. The 2005/6 Construction Regulations have made project managers take H&S much more seriously, but it does add a lot to the cost of building something now. Screwing around on site will get you the boot pretty quickly if it's spotted.

But it's still acceptable to send the apprentice out to buy a left-handed hammer, a brick bender, or a tub of elbow grease ... :p

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Saw about a dozen 240 V extension leads joined by insulating tape, strapped to the scaffolding on the Eyre Sq shopping centre when it was being built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I saw a drunk bricklayer on a German site,on a dare, climb a tower crane and walk out to the end of it, and then do a handstand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭gifted

galwayrush wrote: »
    Saw about a dozen 240 V extension leads joined by insulating tape, strapped to the scaffolding on the Eyre Sq shopping centre when it was being built.

I worked on that job as well, was a 2nd year apprentice plumber and was up on the roof of that shopping centre putting on the top of the boiler flues with no safety harness, the good oul days..not! Didn't earn €500 a week either :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement