Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it make a big difference to make Christmas cakes and puddings in advance?

Options
  • 13-11-2011 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hello:)

I haven't made my cake or pudding yet and am contemplating leaving it 'til late November/early December before making them. Is this ok? I have heard of people making it 3 months in advance!

Any advice would be much appreciated!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

My granny used to make her puddings a year in advance and lash some brandy or whiskey over them every month or so...they definitely get better with age. Fruit mince (for mince pies) is also better the longer you leave it. I made my cake in December last year though and it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I am making mine today - yours will be fine if made later. There are quite a few last minute fruit cake recipes out there if you google.

This one from Delia Smith looks good and is very last mintue!

I post on a professional cake makers site in the UK and a lot of those people say that if you freeze the cake for a day or two it 'ages' it. I can't see why it would or what the science behind it might be, but they swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Animord wrote: »
    I post on a professional cake makers site in the UK and a lot of those people say that if you freeze the cake for a day or two it 'ages' it. I can't see why it would or what the science behind it might be, but they swear by it.
    Maybe its something to do with "expanding cell walls", if you freeze some fruit or veg the cells expand and turn to mush upon defrosting. Perhaps something similar is going on.

There was a program on the other day with an Irish bakery talking of doing their christmas cakes several months in advance. They said it was also due to not having capacity to make them all freshly.

Just like chocolate companies are meant to make easter eggs months in advance, no point having 10 times as many machines as you need when one could be running all year long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe its something to do with "expanding cell walls", if you freeze some fruit or veg the cells expand and turn to mush upon defrosting. Perhaps something similar is going on.

Very good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 FionaB3

Darina Allen's recipe for rich fruit cake is perfect for making anytime, have made it and cut it after a few days and still moist and rich!

• Advertisement
Advertisement