Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks around Killiney Road/Glenageary

Options
  • 13-11-2011 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the roadworks on Killiney Rd & Albert Road & The roundabout are for? Hoping it's UPC but doubt it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Local rumour has it that's it's for the installation of water meters-a lot of roadwoarks in the area recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They are redoing the Killiney Raod/Ballinclea road junction.

It will become a conventional tee junction rather than as it is now with the triangle.

Why, I don't know. It looks to me as though DLR Co Co have gone stark staring mad and want to throw away vast sums of money on pointless project.

Meanwhile, there are still hindreds of roads in the area which have dangerous road surfaces, bit these aren't in posh areas, so the people there have to lump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

so the people there have to lump it.

No pun intended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

T junction? You're having a laugh. Some brilliant planning again. Was fine as it was. Nearly as intelligent as the roundabout at the top of Saval Park Road. 3 crashes/bumps in the 2 weeks after it was done really highlighted the intelligence of the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    T junction? You having a laugh. Some brilliant planning again. Was fine as it was. Nearly as intelligent as the roundabout at the top of Saval Park Road. 3 crashes/bumps in the 2 weeks after it was done really highlighted the intelligence of the decision.

The roundabout at the top of Saval Park Road is ridiculous. The top of Saval Park Road effectively looks like a funnel with the silly curb build outs. The Aircoach uses Saval Park Road to get up to Fitzpatrick's Castle Hotel as it is one of the only roads suitable enough for buses. This is because the infrastructure in the Killiney, Dalkey and Sandycove area is crap and it's now being made worse. A better solution to this problem would have been a traffic light system. At least this allows the roads to retain their width. The T junction at Killiney Road/Ballinclea Road is equally stupid. It's like the DLRCOCO are trying to make the area less suitable for vehicles. This has a knock-on effect for any public transport using these roads and makes their use less attractive because of the increase in journey length.

Instead, what the council should be doing is making the roads wider to make traffic flow more efficient. All traffic calming is doing is making traffic less efficient. It also makes the roads more dangerous. It's pretty simple really. The further apart vehicles and bicycles are, the safer their passengers are. The closer they are, the more dangerous it becomes for them. It is also in the rules of the road to have more clearance between vehicles and other modes of transportation. I think a meter of clearance is the minimum, required by the rules of the road. It should be made mandatory that any road that makes it difficult to obey the rules of the road or slows down public transport should be either widened or made one-way.

The only people I can think of who are pushing for traffic calming measures are cyclist who don't obey the rules of the road and elderly people who cross the road without looking left or right. In other words, the roads are being dictated by people who don't observe the rules themselves. I often see cyclists going the wrong way down one-way streets and then have the nerve to take it out on drivers when they end up in an accident. Similarly, I often see elderly people crossing the road without looking left or right. Looking left and right before crossing the road is a lesson we all learn in junior infants. Being elderly doesn't exempt people from acting on this lesson. Yet, the council are tailoring the roads to cater for this ignorance. Other nations would laugh at the simple minded logic of these "solutions":rolleyes: to suburban traffic problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

@patrickbrophy.

There are so many generalisations and inaccuracies in your comment that it is hard to know where to start. However the piece below is my favourite..

The only people I can think of who are pushing for traffic calming measures are cyclist who don't obey the rules of the road and elderly people who cross the road without looking left or right. In other words, the roads are being dictated by people who don't observe the rules themselves.

I never realised these 2 groups of people were so powerful as to be able to dictate what is now best practice in most of the developed world!!

People want to live in areas where they can walk and cycle safely and they dont run the risk of being knocked down everytime they leave the footpath.
    Making the roads wider as you suggested leads to more cars, more noise, more pollution and less space for non motorists.
    I would suggest that as you live in Dalkey you should take the time to go for a walk or buy a bike and enjoy what is still a relatively unspoilt part of Dublin..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I never realised these 2 groups of people were so powerful as to be able to dictate what is now best practice in most of the developed world!!

Really? Making roads narrower is best practice? Look at the US. Many of their villages have very wide roads. This allows large vehicles to seamlessly pass each other in opposite directions. Also, many junctions in the US can accommodate articulated trucks and give better entry radius into another road. Swinging wide to get in to other roads is dangerous as it leads to a practice of cutting corners. Curb build outs at junctions exacerbate this problem further. No large vehicle should have to do this in a suburban area. Finally, larger vehicles such as articulated trucks have bigger cargo space enabling stock transportation to be done in less trips than standard trucks which would bring the stock to the destination piecemeal. Less trips equals less pollution.
    People want to live in areas where they can walk and cycle safely and they dont run the risk of being knocked down everytime they leave the footpath.

I amn't suggesting that road widening require curtailment of cycle space. Usually, road widening schemes include cycle lanes. However, looking left and right is required before crossing any road. Germany and the US ban jaywalking as crossing the road oblivious to your surroundings is hasty and reckless. Look at some of the RTPI displays: "Don't be hasty, get across safely".
    Making the roads wider as you suggested leads to more cars, more noise, more pollution and less space for non motorists.

Only if you choose to see it that way. Again, road widening often involves relocating the curb to a new position on the road. For example, a roughly 25 meter wide suburban road like the north west of the Upper Glenageary Road allocates roughly 13 meters to four traffic lanes (a bus and car lane in each direction). Towards a crossroads, a fifth lane is usually present for left and right hand turns, bringing the width up to 18.25 meters. The remaining 6.75 meters of space is ample for non-motorists such as walkers and cyclists. Unless they are way over-weight. However, I don't think council's should or would accommodate people who over indulge in food binges. Also, the space allocated for buses is designed to make public transport on these roads more attractive given the higher priority they have. The purpose of this is to take a larger percentage of cars off the road. Finally, larger vehicles such as articulated trucks have bigger cargo space enabling stock transportation to be done in less trips than standard trucks which would bring the stock to the destination piecemeal. Less trips equals less pollution.
    I would suggest that as you live in Dalkey you should take the time to go for a walk or buy a bike and enjoy what is still a relatively unspoilt part of Dublin..

I actually do walk as part of my exercise regime and I wouldn't have lost 3 stone in weight without it.:D;) Many of these walks are almost entirely based in Dalkey. Many of the roads in Dalkey do breach standards and it is very unhelpful when NIMBY's try and keep it that way. Dalkey Avenue and Barnhill Road are horrendously dangerous because of their narrow width. Sometimes, buses have to pull into a cul de sac to avoid collisions with on coming vehicles. I amn't talking about every road getting widened in the Dalkey area. However, the main roads will eventually have to undergo a massive change.

I've been watching what they're doing with interested and I am getting very, very worried at the moment. Please tell me there not making part of Killiney Road controlled by traffic lights. They've seemed to have narrowed the road significantly. What a bunch of idiots wasting money. Nothing was wrong with the set up until they decided to block the view when turning onto Ballinclea Road with the Roadwork signs.

Got a PDF of the plans for the Balinclea Road/Killiney Rd junction.

Doesn't seem too bad. Will slow everything up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anybody else think it's amazing coincidence that this proposed revision of the junction, including new footpaths etc. is directly outside the home of some Dun Laoghaire, FG Councillors?

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councilbusiness/listofcouncillors/

http://g.co/maps/846ea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good call IMO, though the 59 may struggle a bit with the corner. It will now make avoiding the ramps on Avondale even quicker :)

That junction has always been crap IMO and the sight lines are pretty poor.

Good call IMO, though the 59 may struggle a bit with the corner.

Good call? How is the tightening of this junction a good call?

Struggle a bit? The buses will have a very big struggle with this "new" and "improved" system. The front of the bus will more than likely have to swing wide when entering Ballinclea from Killiney Road. This will result in cutting corners. How is this safe?
    It will now make avoiding the ramps on Avondale even quicker smile.gif

I will admit that the tarmac ramps on Avondale Road are much better than the cobble lock ones that were there before. At least cars can take more care on this road without running the risk of ripping their chassis.
    That junction has always been crap IMO and the sight lines are pretty poor.

I am pretty sure that there were many other ways to improve visibility.

Advertisement